Horse beating continues: Diver in Cozumel REFUSES to remove gloves and knife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocontair, I have been diving Coz. twice and I did get cold ,after 80min.
I don't dive a shorty EVER just a 5mm fullsuit,yes I do get cold easy. And yes knives are basic scubagear by most if not all agencies.
But most say "unless local laws prohibit them."
And I did get snagged in a fishing line at Coz. so I did need that knife.:eyebrow:

And for the turd... yes he was.:D

If you are getting cold hands in 84 degree water, you need to be talking to a doctor, becuase this is not normal.

Basically, I think you are being a a jerk and are one the divers being discussed here.

I like that he bolded the part that nullified what he was saying completely.

He was also quoting the part that would have affected the dive master and not the diver. There was no requirement for a knife in the student part.

Yes sure but we are NO students anymore.
We all know that we need to carry a knife or any other tool when diving.
The DM and OWSI just have to carry one when training students,just to be a roll model for new students

OPTIONAL gear, not MANDATORY/REQUIRED gear and in this case, local law prohibits them :D

This says TRAINING dives - not ALL dives. It also says knife or dive tool - so the KNIFE is not required - and again - it's prohibited by local law :D

It also requires only the Instructor and CA to have a knife or dive tool - not the student or "diver".

BTW - I guess I should be reported to the PADI police because:
  1. I have never carried a dive knife in Cozumel on any dive whether training or recreational
  2. It's not prohibited for me to do so since I am an authorized Marine PArk guide/instructor in Cozumel.
:D

BTW - I guess I should be reported to the PADI police because:
  1. I have never carried a dive knife in Cozumel on any dive whether training or recreational
  2. It's not prohibited for me to do so since I am an authorized Marine PArk guide/instructor in Cozumel.
:D

Gee bit of a childish responce,don't you think so.:shakehead:
Hope you're over that by now.:eyebrow:

I carry sheers. I learned how to use scissors properly in kinder so I have decades of experience with them, and so do most people I may have to rely on if I'm ever entagled and can't get myself out.

I've self-inflicted a few pretty good kitchen injuries with knives, and so have most people I know. Would I 100% trust me or them u/w in an emergency with a sharp knife? No. It's all fine for an agency or instructor to tell students they should have one with them on all dives, but did anyone's OW or even AOW include demos and practice of u/w emergency knife use in all sorts of conditions?

If I was diving in heavy kelp or on a serious wreck then I would probably want a knife. For tropical diving, especially within the boundaries of a marine park, no need. Sheers will do fine.

No more use to follow up this one then.:no:

No more use to follow up this one then.:no:

christi:
there are other tools that can be used that serve the same purpose as a knife

I guess you missed in my second post to you - where I said basically the same thing you are agreeing with others on :lotsalove::wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom