Hose length for Low pressure inflator on doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike1010

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm beating myself up over the correct hose length for my double's rig, 22 was way too long, so i went out and bought a 16 which looks like it fits well but i can't really extend the corrugated hose any. This may not be a real issue as i dove with the crappy OMS fake corrugated hose before which couldn't be yanked on.
Attached a picture of the 16' hose, does this look ok? or should I opt for an 18" If so i'd like to know before i get the 16" wet and cant exchange it.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 816
Looks fine to me. Not sure why you run the primary hose off the topside port?? Rather run it straight down the bottom port.

Last edited:
I would run my primary reg hose from your fifth port and use a side port for your lp inflator on your first stage. This may be a personal preference.

As far as the hose it looks fine to me. I use a twelve inch lp corrugated hose but mine attaches in the front.

A little hard to say from that pic, like to see it all rigged up (with the other first stage) and on you - looks to me like 18" might be better. The wing is just lying on top too, it might position a bit differently when you have the BP bolted on and/or the wing inflated as well. I like Miflex LP hoses as they route a little easier - the rubber hose will stiffen when pressurised. Remember you want it to be able to comfortably get the oral inflator mouthpiece into your mouth when you're looking to your right if possible

If I were you I would reposition (replace) the two cable ties on the inflator, I find in the position shown that the ends can dig into my hand. Depends if you're using gloves or not

I would run my primary reg hose from your fifth port and use a side port for your lp inflator on your first stage. This may be a personal preference

I believe the way the OP shows is 'normal'

mk25front.jpg

Attached a picture of the 16' hose, does this look ok? or should I opt for an 18" If so i'd like to know before i get the 16" wet and cant exchange it.

Mike,

Keep in mind, you need to be able to *orally* inflate your wings. And a lot of people believe you also need to be able to breathe from your power inflator. Are you able to do these things, especially if your wings are fully inflated, if your LP inflator hose is as short as it is?

Safe Diving,

Ronald

That looks just about the way mine sits when hooked up. Just long enough to orally inflate.

I assume the part of your reg with the rest of the LP ports swivels, so you don't always have the long hose pointing up in the air?

The length of the hose should allow for you to use the mouth piece for oral inflation. If you are so inclined to use the pull to dump method you will want just enough length to allow for the dumping of air and not create a cluster of hoses in behind your head. to short a hose can cause the inflator to be over sensitive and dump when undesired. Also consider you body size. If you use to short a hose the inflator may not come over your shoulder sufficiently to be effective to operate without complication or best use practices; especially with the wing inflated. So in addition to considering your rigging choices. How you are comfortable to add or subtract air and the placement of the hose for configuration is important. I'm not a small guy and a 16 in hose would cause the inflator to stick straight out barely curving over my shoulder but it would be usable. 18-20 in allows me to bring the hose over my shoulder and position it at what I call my buoyancy control center, that is I can operate my drysuit and BCD by simply going to a single location it's all departmentalized. Work with it and see what you like, if you buy the 18 in hose then at least you will have a spare one for your parts kit

It needs to be long enough to orally inflate AND reach your suit inflater. Its very beneficial to be able to inflate both your suit and your wing at the same time w/ one hand.

I find something in the 20inch range (22, perhaps?) is a good length. Short enough to not hand low and get caught in line/ the dirt/ stage bottles, but long enough to be functional (both for dumping and multi-inflating).

thanks for all the help i swapped for a 20 and tried diving it this weekend, worked well with no extra loops getting in the way.

Back
Top Bottom