Hose protectors with Miflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pudsky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got some new Miflex hoses that I am going to install. My question is, should I use hose protectors at the first stage, or is it ok to skip them. I kinda like the idea of not using the hose protectors, as it gives the hoses a little more flexability. But will these hoses kink and crack at the crimped connection?

I know lots of people here use these cool hoses. Let me know your experience. Thanks!!!

I haven't had any problems with my LP Miflex hoses with no hose protectors in over 200 dives. I recently bought a HP Miflex hose and it blew up, not the only one to have that problem it seems, so perhaps just stick to the LP hoses and I don't think hose protectors are necessary. I don't have them on my normal hoses either.

might be luck of the draw there, got ~70 dives on my HP miflex and it's still in top shape

might be luck of the draw there, got ~70 dives on my HP miflex and it's still in top shape

Yes I had about that many dives (well more like 60), and it also looked in good nick. Hopefully you have better luck than I.

I am not a great fan of hose protectors.Hhowever if you use them, slide the away before every dive to check the hose and joint for damaged. I believe in having “clean” setup enabling you to spot problems before you get in to the water.

The only reason I'm using them is protect the wing. After every dive I side them down and let eveything dry. If it was not for the rub they would be gone.

...I'm using LP MIFLEX hoses on several regs.... WITH...hose protectors.....just like how they look with the hose protectors. 'Regular' hose protectors won't work with MIFLEX, as MIFLEX LP hoses have a slightly smaller diameter than conventional LP hoses....so I installed Aqualung 'Mikron' ones, special ordered from the local Aqualung dealer. (I think Mares, and maybe Scubapro, also have MIFLEX LP primary 2nd-stage hoses on some of their regs...so you could likely special order MIFLEX compatable hose protectors from them too.)
...so far, I have no experience with MIFLEX HP hoses, as my computers have to use a proprietary OEM quick-disconnect factory hose...and my SPGs are now converted to Poseidon with OEM 'thin' "kevlar' HP hoses...so no need for MIFLEX in my application. Also, as mentioned previously, there have been numerous reports of defective HP MIFLEX hoses blowing out, although this problem may have been limited to early generation versions and may well be a thing of the past by now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom