"Hot Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there worries with hot fills? Cylinder manufacturers, the Department of Transportation (DOT), various safety organizations, and professional fill operators think the answer is "yes".

Watch how fast they slam O2, He, N2, Ar into supply bottles at the gas plant. It'll make you cringe. US DOT does not require slow fill rates or maximum temp increases etc. Not even for O2. They define full as "service pressure at 70F" that's it. 10%+ overfills for 3AA cylinders being an adjusted service pressure. If its 130F after filling DOT doesn't care.

I have noticed that when filling my doubles from a bank, or compressor that the tank on the opposite side of the fill whip, other side of manifold from where whip is attached, gets hotter.

Any ideas?

The first valve where the whip's attached is a restriction and gets cool. The other side is not acting as a restriction (since its the same size as the other valve upstream) and gets warm since its just subject to the increasing temp gas.

The pressure in a 3000 psi service pressure cylinder can not exceed 3750 at 131F
Per DOT CFR 49 Sec 173.301a

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...node=49:2.1.1.3.8&idno=49#49:2.1.1.3.8.7.25.3

(c) Cylinder pressure at 21 °C (70 °F). The pressure in a cylinder at 21 °C (70 °F) may not exceed the service pressure for which the cylinder is marked or designated, except as provided in §173.302a(b). For certain liquefied gases, the pressure at 21 °C (70 °F) must be lower than the marked service pressure to avoid having a pressure at a temperature of 55 °C (131 °F) that is greater than permitted.

(d) Cylinder pressure at 55 °C (131 °F). The pressure in a cylinder at 55 °C (131 °F) may not exceed 5/4 times the service pressure

Women are often nicer to men than they are to other women, and vice versa. I bet if you were a big burly biker she would warm right up![/QUOTE]

I can show her my harry back and neck region, I wonder if that would help

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom