Hotel Coz, Ida & Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I managed to get out just before the hurricane. A friend was scheduled to stay till Tuesday. We left Saturday. I heard earlier this week that shortly after we all left a few trucks came in and dropped off the dolphins form the "swim with the Dolphins experience"! Hotel Cozumel was chosen because of the size of the pool. he said it was interesting, the older dolphins were calm and listened to the trainers. The younger ones were jumping and splashing and generally misbehaving. He said they were there for 2 days then the sun came out and they were returned to their pens. The pool would then be closed for a few days to "clean it". He spoke with a trainer who said the pool had to be neutralized before the dolphins were brought in and they can live for a few days in fresh water. Their skin got white and flaky. Oh, the guests were permitted to swim in the pool too!

The whole thing is kind of sad but at least they take care of the dolphins since they would otherwise be in danger. I've heard before that they have used HC's pool.

Interesting that they can live for a few days in fresh water. I wonder why it's not indefinitely since they breathe air and eat fish. Maybe something to do with bouyancy?

I have to admit I would be tempted to get in the pool with them. I've always wanted to swim with them but not in captivity. Maybe since they are already in the pool anyway I might. I would like to be diving/snorkeling and experience them in the wild. Saw them once on the way to a dive site in Coz riding our wake, and a pod of them in La Paz once. That was exciting.

Hotel Cozumel's pool turns into the temporary dolphin prison whenever there is a hurricane on track to hit Cozumel.

From past reports it doesn't seem like anyone has ever actually seen anything done to the pool before their arrival. Not sure what is actually done after they leave either. Is the pool drained and scrubbed? Or does everyone just jump in and hope that the filtration system has rid it of most of the dolphin poop... :confused:

from what I (think I) know from eating and cleaning fish, saltwater fish (& I know a dolphin is not a fish but I am assuming it is similar) absorbs fresh water but cannot absorb salt water. If you go fishing and put your fish carelessly on ice and it melts, the flesh will turn to mush as it absorbs the fresh water. Someone who actually knew about this stuff told me that saltwater fish die in fresh water due to this undesirable absorbtion.

The trainer said they toss some checmial in the pool first to "neutralize" it.

from last weekend. Yes, they did drain and scrub the pool. It may still be on their webcam.

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0003_1.JPG

It's hard to tell, but your 3rd picture the guy squatting down looks like my friend we left behind. Wilson.

from what I (think I) know from eating and cleaning fish, saltwater fish (& I know a dolphin is not a fish but I am assuming it is similar) absorbs fresh water but cannot absorb salt water. If you go fishing and put your fish carelessly on ice and it melts, the flesh will turn to mush as it absorbs the fresh water. Someone who actually knew about this stuff told me that saltwater fish die in fresh water due to this undesirable absorbtion.

Now that you mention it, I believe you are right. For the same reason humans cannot drink salt water, or you might say the opposite. We have to excrete it to achieve the right balance and therefore become dehydrated.

Now that you mention it, I believe you are right. For the same reason humans cannot drink salt water, or you might say the opposite. We have to excrete it to achieve the right balance and therefore become dehydrated.
Yeah, it's most likely an osmosis thing. There are freshwater dolphins, though. I saw them rolling in the Ucayali River (one of the headwaters of the Amazon) at Pucallpa, Peru when I was there, and that's about 4000 miles upriver from the Atlantic Ocean. They are pink.

Dave,
Thanks for sharing the dolphin pix! Up-close is awesome.:)

I have to admit I would be tempted to get in the pool with them. I've always wanted to swim with them but not in captivity. Maybe since they are already in the pool anyway I might. I would like to be diving/snorkeling and experience them in the wild. Saw them once on the way to a dive site in Coz riding our wake, and a pod of them in La Paz once. That was exciting.
It would be tempting, but surely not allowed. Saw a few playing on the bow wake of our boat off of NC once - amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom