Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you mean your wetsuits were still there the next morning when you came back? We usually hang our stuff out on the railing at our room - is that an option?

Thank you for the info about locks - I'll probably go for a bottom locker as I'm short and have had a hard time hefting things above shoulder level (unless the top is lower than I'm thinking). :wink:

I'm just saying it seems to be a pretty secure area. There was at least one wetsuit and one bootie left hanging for several days, probably still are.
After about 5 stays at HotCoz hauling BCDs and wetsuits back and forth to dry on balcony, I felt comfortable this time leaving them to dry in the rinse tank area. I would then lock them up when I returned for sunset pics. Pam on the other hand, well, her Zena did cost alot more than my cheap Caribe and with water temps averaging about 2 degrees warmer now days, she doesn't wear a wetsuit anymore.
Be sure to get in on the daily pool volleyball game about 3pm.

There are places to hang your gear or towels etc on the balcony. If I remember correctly 4 wooden pegs on 1 side & 2 short lengths of wood on the other side. Many years ago I had read (but never heard if it was true) of gear theft from outside ground level rooms. I always stay on the upper level & if someone can get at it there they are a monkey or came with a tall ladder. Hotel photo tour is here. It has a photo of the lockers. On my trip in Feb the locker I was given still had a wet wetsuit & booties in it. I alerted the front desk & hopefully the gear & owner were re united.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskS8V7Ew

Thanks for sharing the photos - very helpful!

Last time we stayed at the Hotel Coz, we had their two bedroom suite with a Hugh balcony including a hot tub overlooking the pool...nice digs Atop the main office area........horrendous food....I recommend breakfast only.

Last time we stayed at the Hotel Coz, we had their two bedroom suite with a Hugh balcony including a hot tub overlooking the pool...nice digs Atop the main office area........horrendous food....I recommend breakfast only.

I got married at the Hotel Coz. We had our reception on that balcony :^)

That suite is now occupied by the owner & I'm guessing your stay was a few years ago. Food meets my needs & gets better each year & as of just under a year ago there is a new manager who seems to have many upgrades planned to improve several things including the meals. In my opinion the meal plan is well worth the cost even if you eat out some evenings. It's not an expensive add on & adds a lot of convenience to being there when you don't enjoy loosing several hours of your trip to walking into town, ordering from a menu & waiting for the meal to arrive etc. That said some go on vacation to eat a much more expanded variety of foods than I do.

Do you mean your wetsuits were still there the next morning when you came back? We usually hang our stuff out on the railing at our room - is that an option?

Thank you for the info about locks - I'll probably go for a bottom locker as I'm short and have had a hard time hefting things above shoulder level (unless the top is lower than I'm thinking). :wink:

In my experience, you get a better locker assigned if you dive with house op. You could hang from your balcony but it's a long walk to room carrying wetsuits. I wouldn't leave a DC or reg out but no one wants your wetsuit.

We've been diving in Cozumel for over 10 years, 3-4 times a year. After trying other dive shops, we now always dive with Roberta's Scuba Shack. Excellent service, secure locker room, and fast boats.

Well, if the food at Hotel Cozumel is bad maybe I'll lose weight. That's only happened on two dive trips. Once was on Blackbeards - I think they burned the broccoli three times that week - it was a miserable week in March AND we got a bad cook that week (IMO); the other time was St Lucia, where we had to walk so far to and from our rooms, and the food was fairly cold by the time we got it (because we had a big group) and not really my style (kind of fancy for me). So as long as the diving is good (and Coz hasn't let me down yet) I'm fine. :)

As for food: I agree, the breakfast is good. My issue is that the tables were not clean. The food at the grill near the pool is better than the buffet selections. They serve a delicious fish taco. it is chopped grilled fish and you add your own toppings. Buffet meals are just bland and not worth eating. Some of our party do AI there, to make it convenient for an occasional meal and, mostly, for the drinks. I really love the location and the waterfront, and my husband loves the pool. The snorkeling is great, and the pier is very convenient for getting picked up by a dive op (or using Dive Paradise.)
I look forward to returning to see the improvements that are being made with the food. I hope cleaning the tables is already done, as it is such a simple fix. And I hope they keep the fish taco at the grill!!! We will return to Coz, and Hotel Cozumel, as soon as we are comfortable getting on a plane again.

One important note about the food there and at most of the AI's is the variety is very dependent on the occupancy level. My normal trips are during the busy season but I did go once during the slow season & there is a big difference in the food choices. As I understand it now it's still a buffet but servers get you your food & you stay seated. I also eat several meals at the snack bar but they are usually fajitas vs tacos but both there are very good. If I remember right I think I went there for fajitas right after checking into my room.

Back
Top Bottom