Housing for New Sony Nex-5N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bgfspeedy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi there,

Just saw the specs of the new Sony Nex-5N and it looks awesome....better than the E-PL3 I was originally going for...
Any heard of any housing for it though? Or can we use the same body as Nex-5?
Cheers

bgfspeedy

Hi there,

Just saw the specs of the new Sony Nex-5N and it looks awesome....better than the E-PL3 I was originally going for...
Any heard of any housing for it though? Or can we use the same body as Nex-5?
Cheers

bgfspeedy

You may want to go to dpreview (google it) and compare pictures taken with the two cameras. Sometimes published specs don't translate into better results.

Ron

New housings from Nauticam will be available nex(t) week -10 days. Full range of ports and accessories already available.

Jack

Awesome.... Thanks for that guys!!!
Nauticam is quite expensive though :depressed:
Cheers

Although the Nauticam is expensive, it is one very well engineered piece of metal with great optics available! And at this time, there does not seem to be any other housings released or announced for this camera. Ikelite previously suspended development on the housing designs for the mirrorless cameras and we have yet to see an announcement for housings for this new generation of mirrorless (NEX-5N, GF3, etc).

Aquapazza announced a housing for the 5N to be released in november.

Has anybody heard much about the Sony NEX-7?

Sony launches the NEX-7 EVIL camera :: Wetpixel.com

Amazon.com: Sony NEX-7 24.3 MP Compact Interchangeable Lens Camera - Body Only: Camera & Photo

I hear he Nauticam NEX-5 housing has been selling well and they are often pretty fast to adapt so I hope they will offer one soon. I wish everyone would offer the 45° viewing angle/hump-back housing for the NEX’s like Aquapazza’s.

That one indeed sounds great too... I'm just a bit scared of their increase of pixels on the same sensor, which could cause noise at high iso, just like the Canon G9 and G10....
What do you think?

That one indeed sounds great too... I'm just a bit scared of their increase of pixels on the same sensor, which could cause noise at high iso, just like the Canon G9 and G10....
What do you think?

One good thing about the delay of housing availability is it lets topside photographers discover these nasty problems before we have to make the investment. Pixel density is constantly increasing, usually with marked improvements in every aspect. I am cautiously optimistic.

For what I do, I would probably be satisfied with the new Panasonic DMC-G3’s image quality and glass (Micro 4/3). The thing that gives me pause is the way the free angle screen rotates (from the side so it sucks for housings). I started in the days of the Rollimarine and later the Hasselblads with viewfinder angled at ~45°. I have never been satisfied the ergonomics of housings with rear viewing plains.

Unfortunately I want EVIL/eye-level viewing for topside photography. I hate to invest in separate glass for topside and underwater, let alone deal with the idiosyncrasies two different RAW formats.

Back
Top Bottom