Housing for Sony FX1/Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBob92651:
I have the 2.5" Gates LCD for my Gates HD1 (JVC HD10U) and I don't find the LCD to be much of a help when it comes to white balance. The LCD appeared to have more of a reddish tint to it.
Bob, I have the same monitor and my and my understanding is that if footage is correctly white balanced at depth then the image on and LCD monitor should appear reddish. This is because it's displaying balanced colour in an environment lacking in red. You just have to get used to how red the image should be when it is correct. The Amphibico monitor also appears reddish. I'd be interested in other comments on this.

Nick

What "keyways" are you talking about?

As for Gates, I dont believe they are in the works for a 16x9 monitor. However being that HD is the wave of the future, it may not be too far off as 16x9 will be the standard.

As for the reddish in the LCD monitor when white balancing, I have again not been able to get it underwater as it as been rented a few times. However, I have not heard anything from those who rented it, and apparently the videos are coming out good. Both customers used manual white balance and the LCD as opposed to the viewfinder.

I am going to try and get it out before the Long Beach Scuba Show this week, so I will do some tests and get back to you.

Mike

I mean those slots and holes along the top...

FX1-Z1%20FL%203Wx150dpi.jpg

Well the slots on the top are for the monitor which now slides into thos slots (your choice of 3 slots). My housing does not have those holes though (not that I have seen anyways, Ill have to check again tomorrow).

bubblevision:
Bob, I have the same monitor and my and my understanding is that if footage is correctly white balanced at depth then the image on and LCD monitor should appear reddish. This is because it's displaying balanced colour in an environment lacking in red. You just have to get used to how red the image should be when it is correct. The Amphibico monitor also appears reddish. I'd be interested in other comments on this.

Nick

Hmmm, this seems weird though that viewfinder would display the proper color balance, and the LCD would not. My hunch is that if the flip-out lcd was viewable it would also display the correct when white balanced. I find myself framing and focusing with the LCD, and occasionally verifying my white balance with the viewfinder (though I would constantly being adjusting the white balance with any change in depth or ambient light. Personally I thought this was the limitations of viewing an HD image on an SD lcd, but it sounds like your are experiencing the same SD->SD?

Gday there from Australia.

My Amphibico Phenom housing is like two weeks away from arriving but was wondering if anyone has any underwater footage shot with the camera underwater yet. Would like to see some and your thoughts on the quality.

Regards
Wags

wags:
Gday there from Australia.

My Amphibico Phenom housing is like two weeks away from arriving but was wondering if anyone has any underwater footage shot with the camera underwater yet. Would like to see some and your thoughts on the quality.

Regards
Wags

I don't have a link but someone did post a u/w still from an FX1 over at www.sonyhdvinfo.com. We'll be looking forward to your Ningaloo footage soon I hope?!

Drool, drool.

For those of you already using a HD camcorder and doing your own editing, how are you outputting product to DVD?

Gday drbill

I have been doing it a few ways.

One way is to downconvert to normal DV in the camera and into the computer.
Even though it gets sucked in at 16.9 ratio, once on the 4.3 timelime, one can mixed with normal 4.3 DV. Prem Pro crops the 16.9 to a 4.3 image and they mix no problems. I then just export to normal DVD files.

The other way is to suck it in HDV mode and edit it with Premiere PRo/Cineform.
Edit it then render out to a normal DVD file. The quality of the DVD this way is better than when using normal mini DV footage.

Another way is to import the HDV footage into normal 4.3 DV timeline. This is cool as you can zoom in on the HDV footage as its heaps bigger than normal DV and create interesting shots. HDV is like 4+ times bigger than DV so you can zoom in on an area quite abit and still have the same quality as normal DV.

This thing is going to rock underwater.

Wags
www.exmouthnavypier.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom