Housing Size Comparison - Ikelike Compact vs. Seatool DSLR (XTi or 400D)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You already have your mind made up. Go buy a P&S and be happy."

Thats not so that is why the " I am an idiot" thread was opened in the first place.

I'd really prefer it if you didn't try to tell us why *I* started the "I Was An Idiot" thread, since you didn't seem to understand that thread much better than this one. That was started to help those who were considering going to a DSLR, but had reservations similar to what I had. I wanted to relate *my* experience in case it assisted someone else who wanted the benefits of a DSLR, but was afraid the system wouldn't be right for them.

As for what a DSLR can do that a P&S can't, the WA issue is one, the shutter lag is a HUGE one, I found faster focusing, crisper images due to the quality of the glass, and the ability to capture shots which pleased me because of a combination of the above I wasn't able to with a P&S. Will a DSLR provide benefits to everyone? Certainly not. I'm sure there are photographers such as yourself who won't find benefit and might even be frustrated by the entire DSLR system. That's fine. Someone shooting the "green box" in a DSLR isn't going to get much benefit.

But most serious photographers will find benefit. Those still learning, as I am, but with skills, will know when it's time to change when the limitations of P&S start frustrating them. That's not for me or anyone else to say when it's time (well, friends tried to tell me for the past year or so, but I wasn't ready to listen :D) - you know when you know.

I'm satisfied that several people have found benefit from the information I've presented and my experiences. If you've not, then so be it.

Ok... take a look at the subject you had taken with a DSLR in a housing, the bubble coral and the hairy crab or the frogfish or the shrimps, how would the “shutter lag” impede the P&S from taking those shots?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...nt-confession-former-compact-camera-user.html

Because those subjects have about as much motion as the DEAD rock they are sitting on! It doesn’t look like they are going anywhere anytime soon!

Those are the same type of shots that are handled easily with a P&S at a fraction of the cost and size! Just look at the other post from the Philippines and Indonesia.

Now if I were assign to take pictures of an NBA game…during Playoff season, heck yeah I would bring the FASTEST Lens and DSLR I could get my hands on!

U/W shooting for the most part is slow and methodical, not fast pace action like as if it were Kobe Bryant, who had just split two defenders and is in midair for a dunk!

Plus since with the DSLR, without the liveview, the shooter just lost the ability to use the LARGE LCD screen to quickly frame the subject, like they once did with the P&S.

So any more "benefits of a DSLR" for U/W use?

"Meaning if the P&S can do even 50% of what the DSLR can at a 1000% less of a cost why go for the DSLR U/W?

Ah, let's see what our favorite armchair underwater photography expert is ranting about this today...

f3, you seem pretty fixated about the high prices on DSLR housings and strobes. You know, if it's beyond your personal means, we're not going to hold it against you. We wouldn't want you to re-mortgage your house for that extra 50% performance...

f3, your rants and circular arguments are really becoming a bore. You remind me of people who love talking just to hear the sound of their voice.

Maybe if you play nice, the good people on SB could start a little collection for you.

Shutter lag can be very frustrating. Even with things that don't really move all that quickly. I shoot a lot of wreck photography and I like to have divers in a lot of my shots. Wrecks don't generally move quickly, nor do the divers I dive with when I shoot them. However, shutter lag would result in a lot fewer shots that I'd want to keep for the simple reason that I like to time my shots in between exhales. For divers I am shooting on CCR, of course that's not going to matter, but with the OC divers, for sure it's going to matter. I like to take a few shots in succession as there are things I cannot account for (like blinking eyes) so no shutter lag is a huge benefit. Shooting p&s I would maybe get one shot, wait until the next inhilation, one more shot, wait, and then maybe another shot. Often times, waiting so long, some divers would be out of position by this time. Maybe not such a big deal to some, but things like this make my photography more enjoyable. But that's just me.

Ah, let's see what our favorite armchair underwater photography expert is ranting about this today...

f3, you seem pretty fixated about the high prices on DSLR housings and strobes. You know, if it's beyond your personal means, we're not going to hold it against you. We wouldn't want you to re-mortgage your house for that extra 50% performance...

f3, your rants and circular arguments are really becoming a bore. You remind me of people who love talking just to hear the sound of their voice.

Maybe if you play nice, the good people on SB could start a little collection for you.

Hey at least I am not into naked guys and flying pigs! Oink Oink! :11:

The reason that a housed DSLR is going to be a HARD sell is because of the threads next to yours...Gilligan and Ed, execllent images taken with a P&S/Compact/Rangefinder cameras in an OEM housing, one of those P&S is even an older 5mp!

you forgot to mention that both of em use Inon add-on lenses....(WA & UFL types) and that Ed stacks the macro (UFL) lenses (2).

you forgot to mention that both of em use Inon add-on lenses....(WA & UFL types) and that Ed stacks the macro (UFL) lenses (2).

Yes and I also forgot to mention that the pakman has a crush on you!

"Caloy, that would have been a better shot if you were buck naked... "Oink Oink :11:

Shutter lag can be very frustrating. Even with things that don't really move all that quickly. I shoot a lot of wreck photography and I like to have divers in a lot of my shots. Wrecks don't generally move quickly, nor do the divers I dive with when I shoot them. However, shutter lag would result in a lot fewer shots that I'd want to keep for the simple reason that I like to time my shots in between exhales. For divers I am shooting on CCR, of course that's not going to matter, but with the OC divers, for sure it's going to matter. I like to take a few shots in succession as there are things I cannot account for (like blinking eyes) so no shutter lag is a huge benefit. Shooting p&s I would maybe get one shot, wait until the next inhilation, one more shot, wait, and then maybe another shot. Often times, waiting so long, some divers would be out of position by this time. Maybe not such a big deal to some, but things like this make my photography more enjoyable. But that's just me.

Interesting comment and I don’t doubt you on shutter lag being important to you when taking pictures of divers between their exhaling.

I am not too sure if that one even makes the list for the features that a prospective equipment buyer must have to take U/W pictures.

I mean given the choice of a P&S system + Dive trip (Air fare etc.) to the warm Indo-Pacific + basic photo skills = some very colorful clear images of the ground zero of the coral kingdoms…plus some money left over.

Vs.

A Housed DSLR for wide angles + Wreck diving in some very cold, murky green waters + ton of weights to over come your thick wet suit + some very large strobes and arms for the wide angle… etc. etc. = pictures of divers next to a wreck without a trace of bubbles from their exhaling.

I really don’t know about that one but then again that’s just me…

Interesting comment and I don’t doubt you on shutter lag being important to you when taking pictures of divers between their exhaling.

I am not too sure if that one even makes the list for the features that a prospective equipment buyer must have to take U/W pictures.

I mean given the choice of a P&S system + Dive trip (Air fare etc.) to the warm Indo-Pacific + basic photo skills = some very colorful clear images of the ground zero of the coral kingdoms…plus some money left over.

Vs.

A Housed DSLR for wide angles + Wreck diving in some very cold, murky green waters + ton of weights to over come your thick wet suit + some very large strobes and arms for the wide angle… etc. etc. = pictures of divers next to a wreck without a trace of bubbles from their exhaling.

I really don’t know about that one but then again that’s just me…

The latter is 90% of the photography I do (less the tons of weight, since I dive dry locally). For my purposes, p&s would definitely not cut it, for the reasons I've already outlined. So when most of my shooting is of this nature, the only logical choice for me is a housed dSLR.

As well what I find of value or of benefit with a dSLR system matters really to me and may or may not apply to others. As I recall, the question of what a housed dSLR can do that a p&s cannot do was posed, and this is another thing that I've discovered in my experiences after having used both systems.

And speaking of dive trips to the Indo-Pacific, I'm off to Truk Lagoon with my D200 day after tomorrow for a couple of weeks of RB diving. I'll be sure to report in if I can, but I don't know what the internet access is like down there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom