Housings offering white balance access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triswebb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering/asking for some recommendations for a housing/camera setup that gives access to white balance control. I have come accross the amphibico invader for use with the HC1000, but since the camera has become discontinued Im having trouble finding it!! Just wondered if anyone else out there has some recommendations for a good camera and housing that will give me access to white balance for a similar price setup to the invader/HC1000.

many thanks!!!

Tristan

triswebb:
Hi all,

Just wondering/asking for some recommendations for a housing/camera setup that gives access to white balance control. I have come accross the amphibico invader for use with the HC1000, but since the camera has become discontinued Im having trouble finding it!! Just wondered if anyone else out there has some recommendations for a good camera and housing that will give me access to white balance for a similar price setup to the invader/HC1000.

many thanks!!!

Tristan

You can look into the used market, like a Sony trv 900 or 950.

Originally Posted by triswebb
Hi all,

many thanks!!!

Tristan

I purchased a Panasonic GS-400 and an Ocean Images housing for it with the upgrade for manual controls and wide angle upgrade. This video camera is highly rated and similar in spec to the HC1000 (16:9 native modes, 3 large CCDs). The reason I got the Panasonic over the HC1000 is that the white balance control is manual on the GS-400 and it is electronic on the HC1000 (Sony put it on the touchscreen). It's probably cheaper than Amphibico too.

I have a few examples of what the camera can do on my website at http://www.socaldivevideos.com. Having manual white balance options gave me color in my video that I thought was impossible.

- MikeT
http://www.socaldivevideos.com

miket:
I purchased a Panasonic GS-400 and an Ocean Images housing for it with the upgrade for manual controls and wide angle upgrade. This video camera is highly rated and similar in spec to the HC1000 (16:9 native modes, 3 large CCDs). The reason I got the Panasonic over the HC1000 is that the white balance control is manual on the GS-400 and it is electronic on the HC1000 (Sony put it on the touchscreen). It's probably cheaper than Amphibico too.

I have a few examples of what the camera can do on my website at http://www.socaldivevideos.com. Having manual white balance options gave me color in my video that I thought was impossible.

- MikeT

Exellent site and I have just spend too much time looking at the images when i should be working :). Just a couple quick questions. Does the housing let you switch to stills? I notice the panasonic takes 4 megapixel stills as well and the ability to switch to still mode would be a major selling point. Also, how do you find the quality once put on full DVD and not compressed?

Thanks

Tristan

triswebb:
Exellent site and I have just spend too much time looking at the images when i should be working :). Just a couple quick questions. Does the housing let you switch to stills? I notice the panasonic takes 4 megapixel stills as well and the ability to switch to still mode would be a major selling point. Also, how do you find the quality once put on full DVD and not compressed?

Thanks

Tristan

Yes, I can access the mode knob to switch to still mode and take 4 megapixel stills. The stills are fairly good at 2288 x 1728 resolution. They are nowhere near as sharp as a standalone digital camera (I have a housed 5mp Olympus and it is much better). Still features on camcorders are a bonus, not a replacement for a real still camera. It does work though, and you can get some good results when shallow with bright light. I really don't use it much as you really need a strobe or flash with underwater still photography.

If you are filming in standard 4:3 mode (not in 16:9 widescreen mode) you can also take stills while filming video without switching anything (just hit the photo button on the housing while filming). These images are lower quality at 1280 x 960 and they are stored on the DV tape (this interrupts video).

Uncompressed video quality is amazing. It's very sharp. Due to the nature of anamorphic widescreen (all normal format miniDV is 720 x 480 no matter what the aspect ratio) the 4:3 quality is slightly sharper, but 16:9 widescreen is so cool to watch and the tiny quality difference in pixel shape cannot be seen by normal viewers.

I cannot recommend this camera enough. And Ocean Images is great to work with, and the housings are great quality. You must get the upgrades though (wide angle lens, manual controls). I don't like this cameras auto white balance modes underwater here is SoCal, it's very green, or blown out blue. But no camcorder I've seen with auto white balance is any different. The cameras are made for topside use (outdoor or inside) so the auto modes have no idea what to do underwater. A red filter changes this though and auto mode will work when it is engaged, but I don't like it until about 50 feet deep in SoCal waters and even then it seems to dark. If you are planning in filming in blue water your experiences will be different.

If you get this system, buy the longer life battery. Otherwise you cannot get more than two dives on a charge.

I love it, going out Sunday to Catalina Island to shoot more video.

- MikeT

miket:
Yes, I can access the mode knob to switch to still mode and take 4 megapixel stills. The stills are fairly good at 2288 x 1728 resolution. They are nowhere near as sharp as a standalone digital camera (I have a housed 5mp Olympus and it is much better). Still features on camcorders are a bonus, not a replacement for a real still camera. It does work though, and you can get some good results when shallow with bright light. I really don't use it much as you really need a strobe or flash with underwater still photography.

If you are filming in standard 4:3 mode (not in 16:9 widescreen mode) you can also take stills while filming video without switching anything (just hit the photo button on the housing while filming). These images are lower quality at 1280 x 960 and they are stored on the DV tape (this interrupts video).

Uncompressed video quality is amazing. It's very sharp. Due to the nature of anamorphic widescreen (all normal format miniDV is 720 x 480 no matter what the aspect ratio) the 4:3 quality is slightly sharper, but 16:9 widescreen is so cool to watch and the tiny quality difference in pixel shape cannot be seen by normal viewers.

I cannot recommend this camera enough. And Ocean Images is great to work with, and the housings are great quality. You must get the upgrades though (wide angle lens, manual controls). I don't like this cameras auto white balance modes underwater here is SoCal, it's very green, or blown out blue. But no camcorder I've seen with auto white balance is any different. The cameras are made for topside use (outdoor or inside) so the auto modes have no idea what to do underwater. A red filter changes this though and auto mode will work when it is engaged, but I don't like it until about 50 feet deep in SoCal waters and even then it seems to dark. If you are planning in filming in blue water your experiences will be different.

If you get this system, buy the longer life battery. Otherwise you cannot get more than two dives on a charge.

I love it, going out Sunday to Catalina Island to shoot more video.

- MikeT

Fantastic, thanks for all this information. I have read some more reviews regarding the camera and as you say it looks very impressive! One more quick question (if you dont mind!!) when you say "You must get the upgrades though (wide angle lens, manual controls).". I have looked at the housing and it comes with electrical controls so what manual controls are you refering too? Also, is the wide angel lens an adjustment required to the actual housing or do you mean just getting a wide angel lens for the camera?

Sorry for all the questions, its just so much cash to spend I want to make sure I get this one right!!

thanks so much,

tristan

triswebb:
Fantastic, thanks for all this information. I have read some more reviews regarding the camera and as you say it looks very impressive! One more quick question (if you dont mind!!) when you say "You must get the upgrades though (wide angle lens, manual controls).". I have looked at the housing and it comes with electrical controls so what manual controls are you refering too? Also, is the wide angel lens an adjustment required to the actual housing or do you mean just getting a wide angel lens for the camera?

Sorry for all the questions, its just so much cash to spend I want to make sure I get this one right!!

thanks so much,

tristan

I don't mind.

It looks like the Wide Angle lens is now included in the base housing cost (it's $1545.00). The wide angle lens is not removable as it is a wet lens and is thru the housing's body. It's a nice lens, really big.

The base housing has the following controls (It comes with electronic and manual housing controls):

On/off and mode selector (both are manual housing control knobs) and

Electronic Controls - There are 4 buttons. Record start stop, photo, zoom in, and zoom out. The camera has a port that is normally for a Panasonic remote, the housing has a wire inside that you plug into the camera.

The $250 Professional mechanical control system adds three extra mechanical housing control knobs:

Auto/Manual/AE selector - A knob installed on the top of the housing that puts the camera from auto mode, manual mode, or exposure hold mode.

Focus/Zoom, Shutter/Iris, and White balance selector - This is a neat control on the left front of the housing that allows you to push three buttons on the front-left barrel of the camcorder. It takes a while to operate smoothly and you need to learn the three selections by feel. I use white balance the most, and ocassionally use manual focus. The white balance selection (the lowest of the 3 on the camcorder) only controls white balance. The other two selectors select buttons that switch between two other funtions. Top button = focus or zoom, middle button = Shutter speed or camera Iris. Whatever you select out of these 4 manual controls is what the last housing control does.

Camera ring control - This knob on the right front of the housing turns the ring around the end of the camcorder (like a focus ring). I use it mostly for focus, but have played with iris control a little when filming up toward the sun.

You need the entire manual control package to access manual white balance, even if you don't need the rest of the manual controls. They are nice to have though, especially the manual focus and I can see the shutter/iris control needed.

For an example of what the video looks like uncompressed - I went diving Sunday, here is a link to some stills from the video I filmed. The vis was crappy (maybe 15 feet with lots of particulate matter). When I make DVDs of this footage the resolution is this clear. They are here at http://www.socaldivevideos.com/Catalina071705/index.htm

Cheers,
Mike

I was pretty much sold on this setup after talking with mike , then keith over at OI Reading another site that talked about the setup made me want it even more....so

Got the camera yesterday, housing is on it's way...

:)

Can't wait to try it...
wish I had it this weekend for anacapa though... :/

Ciao
Mark

Back
Top Bottom