How about this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the latest version. Sorry it took so long, been really busy lately, plus trying to milk those last few weeks of diving before it gets too cold.
latest template

A couple questions and coments:
  1. Do we want to make the site fit within 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768?
    Most people were still running at 800 x 600 last time I checked, but most of those surveys, stats, etc. are a few years old. I'd think 1024 x 768 would be the standard by now. I know any laptop that came out in the last few years runs at at least that resolution, and it would look nicer if we made it bigger.
  2. Does anyone mind if we use frames?
    I know most people hate frames, but from a design standpoint it would look really cool if that header and footer were always visible, and the content scrolled between them.
  3. Are there any sections I missed in the navigation?
    Keep in mind some of these will have sub sections. For example, I was thinking "Diving in Wreck Valley" would have pages about sites and conditions, local LDS, links to other local sites (dive tables, etc.) Members and contact could probably be combined into one page. Maybe also a General Scuba page with info about gear, tips, etc.?
  4. The new top image doesn't have a dive boat in it like the old one BUT...the new shot was taken at last weeks shore dive. I just thought it was kind of lame to have a wreck valley site with a picture of a dive boat in Aruba!
  5. I was thinking maybe doing the nav bar in Flash. I will make it a little easier to update, plus maybe I could do some cool rollover effect (like maybe have the text look it's moving in the swells when you roll over a button?
    [/list=1]

Looking good to me! To answer your questions:

1. I would go with 800x600. Even though I love 1024x 768 I know ALOT of people that still use 800x600. If you use frames there is no question, 800x600 is the way to go.
2. I like frames. In the past some browsers did not support them, but all modern browsers support it without problems. Once again, with this I would go with 800x600.
3. I can not think of any you missed, plus if you had to you could add one or two more by moving the logo up some.
4. The new picture looks good. How hard would it be to change images now and then? Or even use a java script to rotate through various pictures?
5. It sounds good. The only question I have is load time. We do not want to fill it with so much eye candy that is causes it to take long to load over a modem.

Those are just my thoughts. I think it looks great.

Looks great.

I like the shore shot.

The bottom shot looks good too.
I think it just needs to be darkened a little
and blued to match the top.

I also tried removing the...
uuugh...
well, see if you can tell.

temp2

I liked the rocks you did, I just couldn't adjust the screen copy and had to use the original.

1- Ok 800 x 600 it is.
2- True, most newer browsers are fine with frames, but some people just hate them, I guess from the old days when that wasn't the case.
3-True, it could easily be nudged. I was thinking maybe a section for advertising used gear? And if everyone saw my email from last week maybe a message board (mainly as a back up, for when scubabboard goes down, since we don't all have each others contact info, an easy way to post updates about any upcoming dives, especially if the board were to go down right before the weekend)
4- I'm not sure how to do it with **********, but I can have it randomly display a set of images with Flash.
5- I think it would actually be smaller than doing it with HTML, and I could make the bg a color that contrasts well with the buttons, that way even if for some reason the image takes a while to load, you can still navigate to another page while it's still loading.

I redid the bottom. Had to go back to the original image, to get the color right, but it matches much better now. So I also had redo the rocks. I think they look better though now. Looks more like the boat's sitting on the ledge of a huge drop off, and not just next to a big pile of rocks!

As far as changing the pictures. I can do it as long as I have images to work with. Remember I announced I needed pictures for the site a few weeks ago, but no one sent anything. I can easily get plenty of surface shots. That's easy. I'm sure I have at least a few more that are usable (Dutch, Secret Beach, etc.) Hell take shot from any beach in NJ. But...I don't really have many good UW shots yet. Not cool ones like that boat.

Also is anyone good at writing copy? We know what sections we want. But the content to actually go in there is a whoe different story!

As far as setting up a forum.. I myself am not too sure about that. The only reason I say that is because I am not sure if it would infringe on Scubaboard. I guess it would come down to what everyone really wants from the site.

Maybe in an emergency, we could just post info on a dive to the gallery.

Also we could just make sure any little get togethers are listed in the dives/trips section as soon as we know about them with the emails of any members that are sort of acting as a guide (aka familiar enough with the site to provide anyone with directions)

We could that. Another thing we could do is setup a list. Or at least a forwarder. Somethingthatweonlyknow@wreckvalley.com that will then forward the message onto all the members. This would be something that I would have to maintain since it is server side. Another option being I could setup a true mailing list for the site that archives and has auto subscription features. Or just a calendar or something that can be edited by members through the web page. There are many option and many things that could be done depending on what the founding members decided. For now, I think we should work on just getting the main page up and running, members’ forwarders setup, and gallery logins setup.

Yeah there's probably about a billion different was we could set that up.

But like you said it's not a huge priiority. We need to just get the site up. Besides, from the looks of it, it seems the season is over for most of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom