How an easy dive can go south at the drop of a hat.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disagree all you want, but it simply does not work that way. You will not "rocket to the surface."
May be you will, maybe you won't, I don't know. The indecent I described is as close as I've ever came to losing my weight belt and I honestly don't want to find out the hard way weather you would rocket to the surface or not. A lot depends on how thick your wetsuite is and if you are properly weighted or not as you and Tigerman both pointed out

... it does not happen the way you described...
:surprised Really?! That's funny, I don't remember you being there at the time? Or are you just psychic or something?

You seem to be missing one of the main points to learn from the incident I had. Which is near panic over a perceived danger that really didn't exist. Which your view point actually reinforces.

And if you read the whole thread... you would see that I clarified the whole rocket ride thing anyway:
...I was thinking let go of the weight belt which would have caused me to rocket to the surface (well.. maybe not "rocket to the surface" but a very rapid ascent at any rate, but that was my thinking at the time)....

---------- Post Merged at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:30 PM ----------

Some day... I'm going to make a video about this. I also get so fed up with the misconception that loss of a belt is a "rocket ride" to the surface.
That would be a very interesting video indeed. Please post a link when you do.

Really?! That's funny, I don't remember you being there at the time? Or are you just psychic or something?

Ha! ha! OK, man. Obviously it's very important for you to believe it works the way you think it does so by all means, go forth and do. Maybe you need to believe this in order to double check your gear so we'll take that as a positive.

-Charles

I'm pretty sure back in the bad old days when I had a dry suit and a 35lbs weight belt I would have "rocket" to the surface anything this side of 30 ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom