How are you guys backing up your digital photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some threads about this very thing....

Fotoshow is a zip disc used to store images and can be used as a viewer on a television....Problem is that they were discontinued by Iomega (I'm sure you can find them on the internet for sale still)

There are also "digital wallets" to put pictures on ....but with a screen to view I would imagine they would get rather expensive...

The laptop route seems to be the best solution .....as I would die if I lost photos as Bacchus almost did.......But I'm sure Steve will attest ..... to carry a laptop around on his trip would have been a royal pain in the butt....especially with baggage limitations on inter-island flights....between camera gear.. video gear.. regs and computers ......

It is nice to have redundant backup however as with the good old laptop

Finesse once bubbled...
There are some threads about this very thing....

Fotoshow is a zip disc used to store images and can be used as a viewer on a television....Problem is that they were discontinued by Iomega (I'm sure you can find them on the internet for sale still)
I recall a thread about the ZIP disc thing.. I would have thought that with the proliferation of Digital cameras they would re-think this discontinuence..

There are also "digital wallets" to put pictures on ....but with a screen to view I would imagine they would get rather expensive...

This digital wallet? Never heard of this. Is this something like an Ipac that has storage?

..... to carry a laptop around on his trip would have been a royal pain in the butt....

This is a subject that I know all to well. In my younger days I was one of those poor business people who carried a compac portable. (Not so COMPACT) It was like taking a playmate cooler everywhere you went.

Thanks for the info. Might have to talk to some of my inventor friends about this topic.. Looks like an un-filled need.
Regards

This first one has a small monitor screen...
Archos

Another option...X-Drive

I take my laptop and download the SM cards into it. This new laptop has a CD burner so I'll also burn them on CD's.

But if a laptop isn't an option, you can buy extra media cards. Some of the storage options mentioned here cost up to $350 for basically just an external hard drive, so make sure it will fit your needs.

FYI-

If these storage devices cost more than $200'ish dollars you should just get a laptop. You can get IBM Thinkpads on Ebay for around $300 with specs that look about like this ; PII 300'ish 32-64MB Ram CD-rom 5-10GB HD. Put windows 98 on it and it would make a great little travel laptop.

This isnt my auction just an example. Sorry if its breakind rules.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31552&item=2084697387

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31552&item=2083822253

I have seen some cases made by Pelican (I believe) that are waterproof and made for laptops. Not only could you transfer your images you could edit them and check scubaboard.com while your out of town =D

Wally_lamma once bubbled...
Finesse once bubbled...
storage?

..... to carry a laptop around on his trip would have been a royal pain in the butt....

This is a subject that I know all to well. In my younger days I was one of those poor business people who carried a compac portable. (Not so COMPACT) It was like taking a playmate cooler everywhere you went.

Thanks for the info. Might have to talk to some of my inventor friends about this topic.. Looks like an un-filled need.
Regards

We are talking about a laptop, right? 5 or 6 lbs. I put mine in a padded sleeve which takes up about 14 x 10" x 1.5 in. deep.... fits in my carryon bag no problem ..lay the carry-on down, and it sits at the bottom (against the back), along with my regulators (with long hose, etc), books for the plane, snacks, camera, lenses, spare battery, charger (which works with any voltage worldwide), external flash + bracket for above water use, some medication, a couple of dvd's for the plane ride, etc. Heck, I probably wouldn't notice a difference with or without the laptop. Of course, this is in the largest carry-on allowable by the airlines :wink: And yes, I have fun going thru airport security... but with the padded sleeve, I can unzip it and remove the laptop while the sleeve stays in the carryon... just slide out the computer when going thru security.

I'd be hesitant using one of the digital wallets. You might think everything copied ok, but how do you really know? I'd rather see 'em on the laptop, plus I can start photoshopping them at night or on the plane ride back.

Like Lucid says... get a cheapo laptop with a burner for a couple hundred bucks.

Plus my earthlink dialup has local numbers just about everywhere in the US. Kinda nice to hop on the net/scubaboard/etc. with a local call while I'm in Key Largo.

raxafarian once bubbled...

We are talking about a laptop, right? 5 or 6 lbs.

I agree except that the Inter Island weight limit was only 20 kilos. That included all dive gear etc. With photo, video and everything else I had 18 kg before any close. The charge was pretty hefty for being over weight. You could carry it on if you had a small (Sony Vaio or something) in your small (let me repeat small) bag that is allowed on the plane. With all that said, I will still take mine on the next trip and pay extra if necessary.

With the C5050, i have the ability to have 2 cards in there. I was thinking possibly of getting a larger xD card and using that as a backup and possibly transfer back and forth between my CF card, the xD card and the microdrive. Only thing is, i tend to take a ton of pictures with this camera so i'm not sure that would be great. But it would be better than nothing i think and very compact. I could even do it in the housing without removing the camera but that would be battery intensive. I'd hate to bring my laptop on a trip for fear of theft etc. In cozumel a few weeks ago, the air was so wet everything was moist - not an environment for a laptop.

Just wish there was something cheap and easy.

steve

There's nothing about photography that's both cheap and easy! :rolleyes:

Dee once bubbled...
This first one has a small monitor screen...
Archos

Another option...X-Drive

Dee, that Archos product looks like the ticket. Do you know anyone who is using it?? Sure is small and has video output.

Found this also fairly interesting info but after reading about Archos I think I'll consider it..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,527990,00.asp

This is a great topic.. Sure glad I found Scuba Board Photo group..

Wally_lamma once bubbled...

Dee, that Archos product looks like the ticket. Do you know anyone who is using it?? Sure is small and has video output.

Found this also fairly interesting info but after reading about Archos I think I'll consider it..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,527990,00.asp

This is a great topic.. Sure glad I found Scuba Board Photo group..

One of the guys on Digital Diver posted the link recently. But I haven't talked to anyone who has actually used one. I did see one at CompUSA the other day and it's a very nice compact size. The screen is about the same size you your camera monitor. Everyone talks about wanting a screen to view the pics but unless you use a laptop with the bigger screen, you don't get anymore detail than you do just playing back the photos on your camera. That's not enough detail to critique anything but the worst photos.

But if laptop is out of the question, I think the Archos would get my vote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom