How are you guys backing up your digital photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman once bubbled...
With the C5050, i have the ability to have 2 cards in there. I was thinking possibly of getting a larger xD card and using that as a backup and possibly transfer back and forth between my CF card, the xD card and the microdrive. Only thing is, i tend to take a ton of pictures with this camera so i'm not sure that would be great. But it would be better than nothing i think and very compact. I could even do it in the housing without removing the camera but that would be battery intensive. I'd hate to bring my laptop on a trip for fear of theft etc. In cozumel a few weeks ago, the air was so wet everything was moist - not an environment for a laptop.

Just wish there was something cheap and easy.

steve

I have a C5050 as well.. In addition to the 32MB card that comes with the 5050, I bought a 384MB CF card at Henry's for C$240. In HQ mode I get approx. 200 pics, in SHQ mode I get about 97.. That's more than I would normally shoot with a regular camera. Keep in mind that you can review your pics at the end of each day and get rid of the totally crappy ones..
And I have never had a CF card fail on me yet.. (If you treat them with care and respect :) )

Yep.. It was agood deal.. I'm going on my first ever live abord cruise with my local dive shop in February, and I am seriously considering getting another 384MB card.. That should be anough for all my needs.. and its reasonable cheap and easy t carry :)
Sometimes Costco has a sale on cards as well.. but then tend to be the smaller 128MB ones..

sparky30 once bubbled...

I have a C5050 as well.. In addition to the 32MB card that comes with the 5050, I bought a 384MB CF card at Henry's for C$240. In HQ mode I get approx. 200 pics, in SHQ mode I get about 97.. That's more than I would normally shoot with a regular camera. Keep in mind that you can review your pics at the end of each day and get rid of the totally crappy ones..
And I have never had a CF card fail on me yet.. (If you treat them with care and respect :) )

I'm curious about a couple of things. First of all: I've been shooting with a 128mb smart media in my C3000Z. On SHQ I get around 70 shots and about 135 or so on HQ. It seems as though you should get 3 times that many with a 328mb. Why only 97 on SHQ? That works out to almost 3 1/2 meg per shot!

Secondly, I just bought a 5050. How do you like yours? Have you had it underwater yet?

Hello Bacchus!
I suspect the difference in the number of pictures per card has something to do with the larger sensor on the 5050.
We have several older Olympus models at work and when I comprared storage requirements on a 128MB card, the 505 seemed to use up more space per picture. I'm not sure why. However, when you enlarge/crop the images 5050 they have way more detail and you can enlrage them a lot more before they get grainy.
I really like my 5050. I just bought a PT-015 housing from another scubaboard member. It looks great but I haven't had a chance to get it wet get. Originally I wanted to get some pics from our new years day dive, but on second thought I want to try it out in a pool first. Since I haven't been in the water in 4 weeks and its only 32 degrees right now (air temp is colder) I think I'll have my hand full even without the camera..
The super macto mode is incredible.. I did all kinds of close up work. Now if I could only figure out how to reduce/minimize the shutter lag a little.. I don't want to take pictures of fish butts.. Their faces are more interesting.. LOL I camped out for 20 minutes in front of my aquarium the ther day.. I have a cool collection of goldfish butt shots now :bonk:

sparky30 once bubbled...
Hello Bacchus!
I suspect the difference in the number of pictures per card has something to do with the larger sensor on the 5050......
The super macto mode is incredible.. I did all kinds of close up work. Now if I could only figure out how to reduce/minimize the shutter lag a little.. I don't want to take pictures of fish butts.. Their faces are more interesting.. LOL I camped out for 20 minutes in front of my aquarium the ther day.. I have a cool collection of goldfish butt shots now :bonk:

If I would thought ahead, I would have realized that more mega pixels probably take more memory! The 5050 has about 1.5 times the megapixels than my C-3000.

I'm laughing about the gold fish butts. When I first got my PT-010 housing I sat in front of my aquarium and blinded my fish too!

fcdc4928.jpg

You can see me in the reflection :D :D

That's one of those artsy-farsty starving artist type style of photos. I'll give ya $19.95 for it! hehe

Dee once bubbled...
That's one of those artsy-farsty starving artist type style of photos. I'll give ya $19.95 for it! hehe

Sold to the woman with the Velvet Elvis! :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom