How Big or Wrong ID - Mantis ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevonDiver,

500mm not cm :D

Take a look at the pointer in my photo, if each notch in the pointer is around 25mm - across the top of the head of the shrimp was about 75mm - and going on normal shape of these mantis, I'd still estimate that lurking in the hole was a critter close to 500mm (50 cm) long ?

Here's a bit I found on The Coral Triangle - Oasis of life with a pic almost identical to the one I took.

They can range in size from 2 cm (about ¾ of a inch) to over 30 cm (1 ft) in length, but most mantis shrimp species which inhabit the Coral Triangle are extremely large. For example, the stomatopod Lysiosquillina lisa which is commonly found in the Philippines can grow to a length of 25 cm (10 inches) or more. It has huge spearing claws, as opposed to smashing claws, that allow it to eat fish larger than itself.

Figure 4: A large spearing mantis shrimp in the Philippines, patiently waiting in its burrow to capture a fish (photograph: Jeni Tyrell).

Some of the larger ones have been known to break aquarium glass. I've been hit by smaller ones with smasher claws and it is kind of like a mild electric shock, although I wouldn't want to get hit by one with slashers.

Below is a picture of a mantis shrimp I took in Kaneohe Bay for those who wonder what they look like.

Pseudosquila_ciliata.jpg

This is a mantis shrimp from the northern gulf of Mexico, about 5.5 cm across. Is white because they live in white sand. Would seem to be around the same head size as your image. Typically, one that size would be 35+ cm long...

shrimp1200.JPG

A good site with lots of stomatopod pics is "Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium" w.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist

Nice site, thanks for posting the link.

Next time over in Boracay I'll head to the same dive site and see if it's still there (close to Fridays rock) and see if I can tempt the seemingly over large "Lysiosquillina lisa" out of it's hole (or get an unsuspecting buddy to try and pull it out of it's hole or something :D) - and get a measurement tape on it !!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom