How can I detect a leak in my wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then why did you not say that before? or private me?

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

I was not looking for a new friend nor do I find Tobin irritating.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 09:19 AM ----------

If you read the thread I did not call out DSS or Tobin. I just made a comment to the OP that unless the repair was botched he should be diving again soon. Tobin was the one that asked if I have a botched repair and I told him the particulars. All as I want is information how to remove the bladder from the shell. Also in my 10 plus years as a SB member I have never seen a manufacturer ask a customer to divulge their name in a public forum.

I asked for you to tell "us" your name, as in tell DSS what your name is, although I've never really understood need for anonymity.

It is not our practice to ship any wing, new or repair without first testing it. It's just too easy to get a fold in the sealing grommet (#1 most common problem) or a OPV that leaks slightly due to tolerance stackups in the fittings (#2 most common problem)

Tobin

I was not looking for a new friend nor do I find Tobin irritating

You obviously had an axe to grind with Tobin with your comment about "botched" work.

If you had a problem, you should have taken it up with him. But instead, you chose to insert a snide comment in the thread (which was simply asking how to test for a leak).

You instigated the sarcasm and tone, maligned DSS and now you're upset that Tobin is upset. Wow.

You obviously had an axe to grind with Tobin with your comment about "botched" work.

If you had a problem, you should have taken it up with him. But instead, you chose to insert a snide comment in the thread (which was simply asking how to test for a leak).

You instigated the sarcasm and tone, maligned DSS and now you're upset that Tobin is upset. Wow.

Wow. So you think I am upset that Tobin is upset because I said I am not looking for a friend nor that I find Tobin irritating?

I think you and Jim Lapenta are more upset than either Tobin or I am.

---------- Post added December 9th, 2013 at 10:44 PM ----------

Understood. I mistakenly thought the wing was new.

Most wings are warranted only against manufacturing defects. If you hole a wing it is not a manufacturing defect so it would not be covered. I think HOG wings may have a different warranty, you can ask Jim Lapenta.

Wow. So you think I am upset that Tobin is upset because I said I am not looking for a friend nor that I find Tobin irritating?

Incorrect. I stated that I (that's me - not you) found Tobin's attitude irritating. I can't speak for you in this regard. OTOH his work is awesome. That's the trade-off I make. You OTOH have an obvious axe to grind. Instead of contacting him directly and letting him address the issue, you choose to enter into an innocuous threads with a Tobin bash. And then you act up like a child when he got justifiable annoyed. Yes, we all know that Tobin can be a bit brash (serious understatement) but his advice is sage and his products are superbly engineered.

Incorrect. I stated that I (that's me - not you) found Tobin's attitude irritating. I can't speak for you in this regard. OTOH his work is awesome. That's the trade-off I make. You OTOH have an obvious axe to grind. Instead of contacting him directly and letting him address the issue, you choose to enter into an innocuous threads with a Tobin bash. And then you act up like a child when he got justifiable annoyed. Yes, we all know that Tobin can be a bit brash (serious understatement) but his advice is sage and his products are superbly engineered.

If you read post #23 you will see that I did contact DSS after I discovered the wing did not hold air overnight. So you are incorrect as I did give him the opportunity to make it right.

As far as being annoyed, I am only annoyed that wants me to divulge in a public forum my name, which I feel is unreasonable. The reason should be obvious for anyone reading the news. Again, please show me another post where a manufacturer asks a customer to disclose his or her name in a public forum.

Why is it that you and others can sing Tobin's praises but if someone has a different experience with DSS then they have an axe to grind? This is being childish. DSS has a whole cheerleading squad here on SB, with TS&M being the head cheerleader (although Netdoc may be challenging her for the position, it seems he is no longer in love with his Express Tech.). When someone says they have a different experience with DSS then they are put on the defensive by the squad who runs to his defense and makes excuses for him. I guess I am unreasonable to want a wing that actually holds air.

As another poster put it another forum, DSS's customer service is great as long as there is not a problem (I agree, $50 for a new bladder installed and a 2 day turnaround is fantastic). However, if there is a problem then you might not get satisfaction. This was my experience. I could care less about the brashness of Tobin's personality. What I care about is having a wing that I can not dive because it does not hold air.

Most wings are warranted only against manufacturing defects. If you hole a wing it is not a manufacturing defect so it would not be covered.

Correct. My wing is several years old and somehow I managed to make a hole in the bottom part of the bladder even if I thought I was careful when handling it, while my buddy treats his wing as if it were an old rag and hasn't made a hole yet!:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom