how can I discard a tank from 86 in Ft. Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indian Valley Scuba:
I trust you realize the absurdity of that question.

I freely admit that while I do cut steel and aluminum tanks in half, I'm far from an expert in metal working. Since we were discussing the possibilities of making a bell, mailbox, planter or other yard decoration by cutting the tank in half and the ease with which that can be accomplished, I did think it rather odd that you would suggest using a drill press, but like I said, I'm not an expert in metal working. I thought perhaps you knew something I don't. From your response to my question, I'm guessing we can disregard the drill press.

How easily does the band saw work when cutting aluminum tanks in half?

By choosing a blade with the proper # of teeth per inch (4 to 6 is ideal) and speed, the chips flow freely from any aluminum alloy. Cutting efficiency can be enhanced by using a lubricant to help prevent binding and reduce the temperature of the blade's cutting edge.

Realistically a standard 80 CF tank can be cut in half in about 3 to 4 minutes with a horizontal band saw.

That's about twice as fast as I can cut one with my table saw using a metal cutting blade. I don't believe the extra speed and eliminating melting is worth the extra cash investment. I do appreciate the information, thanks. Steel bells have a much nicer tone anyway.

After cutting them in half, you can cut slots up the sides and make a wind chime too! I have an old steel tank my LDS gave me but I havent made anything yet. GREAT IDEAS THOUGH!

I have access to a waterjet. I can do lots of stuff with a tank. All it needs to do is fit under the heads. I gotta find an old one somewhere to play with when the boss is not around!

I trust you realize the absurdity of that question. My point was the removal of aluminum material from a tank, whether sawing it, say in half with a band saw, or machining on the mill it for a nice cut-away for teaching, or drilling a hole in it with a drill press.

Your post was absurd, not Walter's response.

You specifically said that you use a drill press to cut aluminum by chipping it.

Band saws, milling machines, drill presses...all cut chips, none melt the aluminum.

Scrap yard, creative art project, find someone dumb enough to buy it, or learning aid for a diveshop (You can use it as empty for figuring out good weight at end of dive) Or give it to me and i can get it hydroed and use it at the one Dive op i know of that will fill it

. . . coming from a metals salesman. . . the "cutting aluminum" debate is nonsensical. . . there are so many different alloys of aluminum available you can't just make a blanket statement on how difficult it is to cut aluminum. . some alloys are very soft, some are very hard.. . I am not entirely sure what alloy they use for AL80's . . I would assume that it's some form of 2000 series aluminum that tend to machine very well.

Also, metals prices are on the rise (for the moment) . . I'd hold on to it a bit longer if you intend to sell as scrap (I don't think you'd get a lot for it though regardless). I like all the idea's everyone has for lamps and chimes and what not . .

CosmoKramerOfTheDeep:
coming from a metals salesman. . . the "cutting aluminum" debate is nonsensical. . . there are so many different alloys of aluminum available you can't just make a blanket statement on how difficult it is to cut aluminum. . some alloys are very soft, some are very hard.. . I am not entirely sure what alloy they use for AL80's . . I would assume that it's some form of 2000 series aluminum that tend to machine very well.

We are specifically discussing cutting aluminum tanks in half. We are not discussing cutting random alloys of aluminum. Therefore, your statement is nonsensical, especially since you apparently have no knowledge of which alloys are being used. Indian Valley Scuba and I have been cutting these tanks in half. Based on actually cutting them in half, they do not melt when using a band saw and do melt when using a chop saw or a table saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom