How can I lessen my stomach cramps and go diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm posting kind of late in this thread, but I would go in and talk to my doctor or gyn/obg. Cramps that bad are interferring with your life, time to talk to a professional. And if you don't get help, ask for a second opinion. Good health is precious.

Don't wear the thermacare in a drysuit though, they are activated by oxygen and at depth they get too hot. On land, they are great.

Valerian root at night helped me, but I would not take it before a dive as it is a sedative.

Also, try this pose: Yoga Journal - Reclining Bound Angle Pose

I too, almost had a hysterectomy at 21, but thankfully did not. Frankly the pill and reducing my soy intake helped me most.

Have no experience with this but when u say the pain get worse over the years, it sounds really bad, how abt visiting a gynae to rule out "complications"?
Anyway, take care ya...

You might also talk to your doctor about alternatives to whatever birth control you are taking now - assuming you are!

Quite a few years ago menstral pain would knock me down for 2-5 days, every freakin month. My doctor and I went through every pill available then, nothing made it better. It was a horrible couple of years. Then we tried Depo provera and bam, perfect. It is not for everyone, but there are many more choices around now than when I went through this so it would be worth checking out.

Yoga is awesome...in addition to the pose above, really learn how to breath as it makes a world of difference in your day to day life, I've found.

If you have a Wii Fit, check out the yoga there ... it measures your centre of gravity while you do poses and I've found it to be an excellent help in making sure I'm keeping the best form I can. We have no yoga instructors in town so this has really been a boon for me.

I finally just started telling everybody that I was going to bed for the day. Anybody that lives in my house has gotten used to waiting on me one day a month. I kind of look forward to it now.
I stopped trying to dive the first day because I was making too many enemies, it just was not worth it.

People seem to appreciate me taking myself out of circulation one or two days.

I visited my doctor. There is nothing wrong.

Hey, it is good!
Have been brought up to avoid cold/cooling food & drinks before & during menses... Food like cucumber, pineapple, watermelons, all cold drinks, even tea (green tea, "English" & "Chinese" tea)... :confused: I do notice that I get cramps if I drink cold drink during menses...

Are you talking stomach cramps or womb cramps? Is it possible that diving make you nervous and exacerbates your symptoms? (Just some thoughts).

did your doc do an ultrasound? If they are heavier and the cramps are worse did they mention doing an ablasion(not sure of the spelling)? They will only do one if you are not going to have anymore children. It makes getting pregnant next to impossible. A friend of mine was having the same issues and her doc did one. She now has no cramps and her period consists of scant spotting for one day.
I was told that I have adenomyosis, kinda like endometriosis. Gives me the same problem. Heavier period, cramps like someone is trying to rip it out with a vise. But, I am not ready for the total hysterectomy that I would have to have to fix it. So....Motrin is my best friend for a week.

If you have another month like that, I would go back to the gyn and ask about ablasion. It is covered by health insurance if you have it.

Back
Top Bottom