How close your buddy vs Herd diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdiver68

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wonder how many new divers get freaked out when the real world of high visibility shallow depth Caribbean vacation diving does not match up with the theory of perfect always-in-arm-reach buddy system? Is it better to teach:

1) There are different risk levels in various types of diving thus various levels of buddy separation are acceptable and you need to learn the difference.

or

2) That the perfect in-arm-reach buddy system must always be maintained.

My problem with number 2 is the real world may show that does not happen and students may grow to disregard even when conditions do require the highest level of buddy discipline.

I discussed this topic with various professional divers and instructors, while many said they teach #2 they also said the real world is more #1.

I teach the 5 second rule in turgid and 10 second rule in clear water for new OW divers.

I also advocate:

• The use of a perma-buddy. One that you are familiar diving with.
  • The before dive talk, including expectations, signs, limits (gas, depth & time} and gear set up (weights, Second, releases, etc)
  • The after dive talk (what was good/bad/dangerous)
  • The right to call a dive at any time for any reason; NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

The one and only time I needed to share air with my buddy was just off Playa del Carmen. Vis was 100 feet, current was a little brisk, and we were at a depth of 65 feet. My buddy was in plain sight---unfortunately, 25 feet away and up-current. The good news was that the mandatory divemaster was about 8 feet directly below me, so that's where I headed instead. That incident taught me a lot about the need for getting on the same page before starting a dive with a new buddy, in addition to sharpening my own "buddy skills".

I teach the 5 second rule in turgid and 10 second rule in clear water for new OW divers.

I also advocate:

• The use of a perma-buddy. One that you are familiar diving with.
  • The before dive talk, including expectations, signs, limits (gas, depth & time} and gear set up (weights, Second, releases, etc)
  • The after dive talk (what was good/bad/dangerous)
  • The right to call a dive at any time for any reason; NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Yeah...better to know WHO you are diving with before anything happens! I also attempt to keep myself as self sufficient as possible in cases where the "insta-buddy" is a "mind warp" .

Pete, your last one is the most important rule!

I was diving in Aruba good vis and no issues where I was looking for my buddy. When I first read this thread I guess I thought of like the group of people on the boat. That was the herd. It was like 12 people on top of each other I got so stressed out I was surprised I managed to come up with 500 psi I was sure I would have to surface early or something. After that me and my buddy agreed to distance from the group a ways because there just wasn't that much situational awareness with us/them and they would swim on top of us and they were kicking up sand and ruining some good pictures I could have got. Not meaning to hijack but what's acceptable separation between the group and your dyad?

Not meaning to hijack but what's acceptable separation between the group and your dyad?

That is a big question!

Personally I do not like diving with a large group. My buddies and I will get as far away as possible. On a reef, this is easy. On a wreck, not so easy. A lot will have to do with the dive site and your experience and your comfort.

I wonder how many new divers get freaked out when the real world of high visibility shallow depth Caribbean vacation diving does not match up with the theory of perfect always-in-arm-reach buddy system? Is it better to teach:

1) There are different risk levels in various types of diving thus various levels of buddy separation are acceptable and you need to learn the difference.

or

2) That the perfect in-arm-reach buddy system must always be maintained.

My problem with number 2 is the real world may show that does not happen and students may grow to disregard even when conditions do require the highest level of buddy discipline.

I discussed this topic with various professional divers and instructors, while many said they teach #2 they also said the real world is more #1.

Yeah...better to know WHO you are diving with before anything happens! I also attempt to keep myself as self sufficient as possible in cases where the "insta-buddy" is a "mind warp" .

Pete, your last one is the most important rule!

I was diving in Aruba good vis and no issues where I was looking for my buddy. When I first read this thread I guess I thought of like the group of people on the boat. That was the herd. It was like 12 people on top of each other I got so stressed out I was surprised I managed to come up with 500 psi I was sure I would have to surface early or something. After that me and my buddy agreed to distance from the group a ways because there just wasn't that much situational awareness with us/them and they would swim on top of us and they were kicking up sand and ruining some good pictures I could have got. Not meaning to hijack but what's acceptable separation between the group and your dyad?

Aruba is the only place I have dived (so far) and, as I explained in another recent thread (What Makes A Good Dive Buddy, Post 20) I got one very good and one very bad buddy. After that second dive I pretty much came to the conclusion the OP writes about as his concern, since corrected.

It's not a matter of always being an arms length away but viz is only one of the factors. The bottom line is to stay however close you need to be to get a breath of air if you need it.

You may be able to see your buddy further than you would like to have to go if you need air.

I refuse to be in a large groups anymore, is just not worth it for me. However I've been there many times.

I followed several steps to avoid the core of the group as much as possible:
1- be earlier than the earliest person at the boat. This will allow you to get the closest spots to the access to the water.
2- be ready to get in the water right away, the minute the engine is idle you (and buddy) should be already at the exit point giving the look to the DM that you want to go now now now.
3- Dive your dive but be aware of the rest of the group, don't take more than a few minutes longer than the last person, never risk being left behind.

Do the same for the following dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom