How cold is too cold?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I'm pretty sure 99% of the population will figure it out, I just have to clarify.

Pre-dive
When stating "put hot water" into your suit, only put hot (basically anything over 55 celsius, 131 Fahrenheit) water in if you are NOT wearing your suit. If wearing your suit, I would recommend around 45 celsius or below. Also be aware that if you put in hot water, all your blood will rush to the surface of your skin. When you jump into the cold water all the heat in that blood will be lost to the external environment. You will effectively kill your body's warmth at the beginning of the dive.

My recommendations would be:
Start your first dive in a DRY wet suit. This way, the blood will be kept in the core of your body, and thus you won't lose more heat than is normal for being submerged in cold water.
When finishing your first dive, add WARM water to your wet-suit to begin the warm-up process of your body. As soon as possible, remove the wet suit, store in a warm, dry (well this is debatable - the suit is wet and you are a scuba diver) location. Put yourself in a heated location out of the wind and get your body temperature up. Dress warmly (not in wet garments) for your surface interval.

2nd dive - ensure dive partner understands turn around signals, too cold signals etc.
Jump in wet suit as quickly as possible. Gear up as quickly as possible. Try to do all this in a heated location (if possible) out of the wind (if possible - excuse me as I laugh as this just never happened for me). Jump in water, do a quick 20 - 30 minute dive, run back out and repeat end of dive performance. Jump in car/truck, turn on heater, and scream in agony as the pins and needles of returning blood to hands grips you. Laugh about at bar later that night.

Another piece of advice... do not drink or exercise rigorously right after a cold dive, as due to the decreased blood flow to the peripheries, you are at a higher risk of having nitrogen still absorbed in your tissues for the peripheral areas. The alcohol/exercise will increase this off-gassing (due to dilation of blood vessels) and could possibly (while minimal it is possible) increase your DCS risk. Always dive conservatively, even if using the "10 feet deeper than actual" rule.

I did my first 80 dives in 40 - 48 Fahrenheit (~4 - 8 celsius) water in a wet suit, by following the above I found I was much warmer at the end of the dives (unfortunately it took me 20 - 30 dives to really figure it all out).

Below you can find a table that I found interesting in relation to this discussion:
Table 1: Exposure time at given temperatures that
causes deep second-degree burn injury in adults
Temperature,°C (°F) / Exposure time
44 (111) / 6 h
49 (120) 9 min
51 (124) 2–6 min
52 (125) 2 min
55 (131) 20–30 s
60* (140) 5–6 s
66 (151) 2 s
70 (151)
*Usual temperature of home water heaters.

Wow lots of good info. I've been thinking about the chemical heat packet things too. Would it be crazy to even stick a couple in strategic places in my wetsuit for during the dive? Not sure how hot they get.

So I think this is my plan right now:
1. Hot breakfast and drive to site with heater on and warm clothes (and beanie)
2. Meet up with buddy and discuss dive plan as quickly as I can.
3. Don wetsuit in the car and possibly even assemble scuba unit in back too.
4. Once I'm ready I'll get into the water as quickly as possible.
5. Enjoy the low-vis beauty for which I'm freezing (hehe) - but not for too long
6. Open back of SUV, throw in BC/Tank, pour warm water down wetsuit.
7. Hop in, shut door, turn on heat, pull of suit and put on dry clothes.
8. Maybe hold some chemical heaters and cry as needed (j/k)

I'm only doing one dive so once my brain is functioning again I'll organize my stuff a little and drive back home.

I've always used these as a rough example of what seems to be appropriate. (sorry, they're in celcius, I'm a metric man).

20 degrees + = Minimal exposure protection, rash vest or skin
11-20 degrees = wetsuit or semi-dry, semi-dry prefered at the lower end of the scale
10 degrees or less = drysuit

Much as it pains me to admit, if you're planning regular cold water dives the drysuit really is better. I learnt in warm water, hate the constriction of thick exposure protection but am definately appreciating the drysuits benefits for cold water diving. If you don't want to buy one you could try renting to see which you prefer.

As for regs, if they're not considered cold water suitable, just be very careful of freeflows. Keep your buddy close at hand, make sure you can turn off your own air and always consider shallower/safer profiles than you might otherwise think necessary.

Best of luck to you though, having already had hypothermia albeit up a mountain not underwater, I'm not eager to repeat the experience. I'll stick to my drysuit this winter. :cold:

Wow lots of good info. I've been thinking about the chemical heat packet things too. Would it be crazy to even stick a couple in strategic places in my wetsuit for during the dive? Not sure how hot they get.

So I think this is my plan right now:
1. Hot breakfast and drive to site with heater on and warm clothes (and beanie)
2. Meet up with buddy and discuss dive plan as quickly as I can.
3. Don wetsuit in the car and possibly even assemble scuba unit in back too.
4. Once I'm ready I'll get into the water as quickly as possible.
5. Enjoy the low-vis beauty for which I'm freezing (hehe) - but not for too long
6. Open back of SUV, throw in BC/Tank, pour warm water down wetsuit.
7. Hop in, shut door, turn on heat, pull of suit and put on dry clothes.
8. Maybe hold some chemical heaters and cry as needed (j/k)

I'm only doing one dive so once my brain is functioning again I'll organize my stuff a little and drive back home.

If that's your plan for only one dive I'd skip the whole hot water part and just get out of the wetsuit and into warm clothes as soon as possible. Seems to me there isn't much benefit to standing around in the cold and wind flushing yourself with hot water, when you could be out of both the cold and wetsuit and huddled next to your dashboard heater asap. :D

You are probably right I think I'll just try to bring more alternative than I'll likely need so that I will have options that I can choose based on how I feel. Of course my hope is that I feel fine and can just do a normal doff and take down of my gear - more or less. But best to be prepared.

Thanks for all the tips - everybody.

I dove on Saturday in a wetsuit (my son had a drysuit annd rubbed it in ALOT). The air temperature was around -7 celsius and the water was around 42 degrees celsius. We were under for about 40 minutes and I was very comfortable. When we were done the fun began...dropped my BC and tank on the grass and headed straight to the van where I got out of my wetsuit and wrapped myself in a blanket until I was dry then quickly into dry clothes and a good parka.

The secret is to get your gear ready to dive while still dressed in street clothes and warm coat then QUICKLY change into the wetsuit and get the dive started quickly. We did a proper buddy check and took a bearing and were underwater before I had a chance to whine!

Once I can afford a drysuit I'll get one but for now, with a little planning you can still dive safely and comfortably in a wetsuit.

Bob

I've dove wet in water temperatures as low as 38F. I had some fun dives, however dive time was severly limited as by about the 25 minute mark I was at the point where I had to get out and warm up.

If you do decide to do it, then as others have suggested make sure you do everything you can to stay warm before and after the dive with hot water in the suit down the boots and gloves ect. Keep your dive times short and don't push your cold limits too much. It sucks having to surface when you still have 2000 lbs of gas in the tank, but pushing your thermal limits is foolish.

If you are going to be diving regularily in water temperatures that low, a dry suit is a great investment. You will not only be much warmer during the dive, but exiting the water to cold air temperatures and being dry is so much more comfortable then pulling off a cold wetsuit in frigid air temps.

Once you go dry, you will never go back.

You're nuts. I don't mind cold cold water but I'd never do it in a wetsuit. We're going down to southern IL in january and I'm expecting air temps in the low 30's/high 20's but there's no way I'd do it wet. :)

All great advice. I've done 33 F wet, but usually 15 mins. with 20 at the outside. Still use the 5 fingered gloves, so cold hands is the biggest problem. And one dive only--just to keep in practise over winter. I stop with the 2 dives in a day when it becomes just too cold in between, especially with my sensitive bladder, which means taking off my farmer john top and putting that ice cube back on. This happens here sometime in Nov.

Does this still sound like some cold fun? Or is it moving into the "dangerous" realm? I'd still like to go, but want to know if that would be dumb.

I guess a related question is whether using a normal regulator (not something special for cold) becomes an issue yet - at these temps.

Been there, done that. It was the last dive I ever made in a wetsuit outside of the swiming pool or the tropics.

Go ahead and try it, but plan for one dive, don't forget to bring blankets and a swig of Captain Morgans for the ride home... :D

Incidentally, the coldest water I ever dived in was 28F. (yes, under the freezing point). I think the water was still liquid because of teh salt content and the waves.... The reg managed but when you put your face in the water it felt like someone was driving a nail in your forehead.

R..

Back
Top Bottom