How Deep have you had your GoPro Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a bunch of dives planned in the 200' range and one at 285'. Hopefully the gopro and gopro brand dive housing will be here before the trip and I can try it out on those dives. Am I crazy for thinking this little camera will handle those depths????

200 is where its rated to so you should have no issues there but beyond I don't know, that big glass flat lens is all thats stopping the water and Im sure its over engineered to a point but where that point is you will find out with a big pop lol. I dont know if the 125m deep video had any modifications made to the housings beyond the flat lenses to survive that depth, they werent at that depth for long so longer times beyond 200ft haven't been tested by many. For decent video at those depths you will need some good video lights for a gopro also.

You may come into issues with the buttons being pushed in by the water pressure as they have springs designed to withstand the pressure at 200ft, Ive heard some people going beyond this depth saying the housing survived ok but the recording stopped because the buttons were sticking at the depressed level.

My First dive with the gopro last year in grand turk went to only 95 feet and on ascent i noticed the latch had come open.
Thank god i saw it pop open and i was able to close it back before flooding.
Luckily i had a rubber band in my bag and i use it for all of my dives now.
Unruly has a new latch thats designed to stay closed no matter what.
Hopefully they ship soon.

Last edited:
200 is where its rated to so you should have no issues there but beyond I don't know, that big glass flat lens is all thats stopping the water and Im sure its over engineered to a point but where that point is you will find out with a big pop lol. I dont know if the 125m deep video had any modifications made to the housings beyond the flat lenses to survive that depth, they werent at that depth for long so longer times beyond 200ft haven't been tested by many. For decent video at those depths you will need some good video lights for a gopro also.

You may come into issues with the buttons being pushed in by the water pressure as they have springs designed to withstand the pressure at 200ft, Ive heard some people going beyond this depth saying the housing survived ok but the recording stopped because the buttons were sticking at the depressed level.

While doing my AOW / Deep, on a planned dive to 120' the camera shut off just past 85'. I haven't tried it again that deep yet, so I don't know if it is a fluke.

We used ours in Chuuk Lagoon to 60 metres (200 feet) with no problems.

There is another thread from yesterday of a cave descent in Czech. They made 217 meters and I'm pretty sure they are using GoPro cameras.

Well, I took my GoPro Hero2 with the stock dive housing on a trip to Lake Michigan. The housing operated to just shy of 180ft. Under 180ft the buttons depressed and the camera became inoperable. I had it down to just over 200 on one dive, but was unable to take video deeper than 180ft. Once above 180ft the camera functioned normally again. Since I found this out early in the trip, I didn't even take the camera along on the 300ft dive I did on Sunday.

There is another thread from yesterday of a cave descent in Czech. They made 217 meters and I'm pretty sure they are using GoPro cameras.

There are some aftermarket housings that are rated to those sort of depths but I think the standard Polycarb housing would implode before that point. These housings all cost more then the GoPro itself but are made from Aluminum so will be much stronger at those extreme depths.

Does anyone know of a US website that sells a 150 meter housing for the Hero2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom