How deep is the first open water dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My comfort in learning a new skill comes from having the whole picture first. I will be back up there today and will ask him questions as needed, but I don't want to annoy him with questions, especially if he will be telling us everything I asked after this pool sesson is over anyway.
If you have the blue traning logbook it will give you the core skills you will perform on each open water dive. There are a number of 'dive flexible' skills that can be done on either dives 2,3 or 4. Each instructor is different.
Don't feel that you're annoying them with questions. Hopefully they will sense what's going on and address your answers regardless if they are going to tell you the same thing in a hour.

Last edited:
I'm so excited. We had our last pool session yesterday, and will get both OW dives in this weekend. All my questions were answered without having to ask. I'll be back later with how it went.

I am in a PADI program. I live about two hours from the dive center, and met my instructor just the one time earlier this week. My comfort in learning a new skill comes from having the whole picture first. I will be back up there today and will ask him questions as needed, but I don't want to annoy him with questions, especially if he will be telling us everything I asked after this pool sesson is over anyway. I was thrilled to have found this forum. I felt I could ask such questions ahead of time.

No problem--I answered that way because it probably varies from location(ie what water the instructor has as @ his disposal) to location.......ONLY your instructor can tell you what depth you'll be going to.......ie here locally(Toledo Bend Reservoir for example), most checkout platforms were/are set in very shallow water ie ~? 20 ft.(if I can remember back almost 30 years)...Now saying that, most vis runs 2 to 5 ft so you feel like you're down a hundred, lol.......Good luck on your checkout-----don't forget to ask questions, that's (one of)the ways you'll learn.........

Then your first two dives shouldn't exceed 40 ft, the 3rd & 4th may go to 60 ft.

To me, it's very evident he's asking for himself ie how deep will I 'go'........So, what if the water depth is only 25 ft??, that platform may be be set in a big ole shallow bath tube--like we were cert. in.....I would ask the 'prof', best way to get an accurate answer.........

My first dive was a wall dive with a maximum depth of 32 ft and the average depth was 22ft the total bottom time was 40 minutes no skills was done during this dive.
My second dive was the day after but I think it is quite common to do the second dive in succession of the first dive.

The instructor will brief you and like the others said there is a limit on the first dive as the max. you will go at least 15ft. and the instructor will decide that depending on your comfort level/or other students and conditions at the dive site, try to relax we have all been there. The instructor will also go over any skills and appropriate hand signals prior to each portion of the dives, also the instructor is there to teach you so feel free to ask questions, however remember you already know how to do the skills, you have already done them in the pool now it is your time to demonstrate what you have learned, so relax, remember to breathe and have the time of your life learning a new hobby that will lead to a lifetime of fun and friendships........

thats great man, i remember when I was doing my pool dives. isn't the coolest thing that we can breath underwater! sweet, good luck with everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom