How deep will you go while freediving solo?

What depth do you try to limit yourself to while solo freediving?

• 150' or more (feet, not meters)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 125' - 150'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100' - 125'

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 75' - 100'

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • 50' - 75'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • 25' - 50'

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 15' - 25'

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • less than 15'

Votes: 17 18.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishoutawater,
Do you still freedive? I see your near st. Louis and was wondering in case you wanted to do some diving this season.
Later,
Stitch

The last time I tried it was a few years ago in Cozumel. They had this airplane scuttled in about 25'. Was only good for about 45 seconds at a time. Part of my prob was that I wore my shorty with no weight. Used up most of my 02 just getting down.
I guess that's as deep as I've ever been, so I wouldn't exactly call myself a freediver.
But I might give it a shot. Where do you have in mind?

fishoutawater:
The last time I tried it was a few years ago in Cozumel. They had this airplane scuttled in about 25'. Was only good for about 45 seconds at a time. Part of my prob was that I wore my shorty with no weight. Used up most of my 02 just getting down.
I guess that's as deep as I've ever been, so I wouldn't exactly call myself a freediver.
But I might give it a shot. Where do you have in mind?
Fish,
I'm still a beginer so you have me beat.
I was thinking of trying Quail run sometime. I've heard Stockton lake is decent. Not great but decent. Or if you're up to making a day of it we could try some of the southern lakes like Table rock or Bullshoals.
Whatever you're up to man. I'm just ready to do some diving. Shoot me a p.m. if you want to give it a shot.
Later,
Stitch
P.S. I'm right smack dab in the middle of the state so any direction is o.k. with me.

Rick and Justin,
I agree with you both and think you are right to feel so strongly about not free diving alone. Holding my breath, I think you and the millions of others who free dive alone ARE stupid. You say that if you didn't dive alone then you'd hardly ever be able to do it? well rather don't do it at all than risk your life every single time, it's crazy!

As a sister who lost a brother to shallow water blackout when i was 15 and he was young and stupid at 19 i am aware of the devastation any death can cause to a family (as i'm sure many of you are for various reasons). can anything really be that great that you are willing run the risk of your family having to live on without you, your kids live on without a father...

i am not getting emotional about this or asking anyone to say sorry about your brother. i just think that having such a nonchalant attitude about such a risk is very stupid. you should not put those who love you and depend on you at risk of losing you it is SELFISH. all for the sake of staying under water a little longer and seeing a few extra fishes.

and if you are selfish enough to put your life at risk (as are a million others as you say, which i'm sure is true) then you definately should not shout about it on websites (where impressionable freediver beginners lurk) and broadcast the fact that millions do it. talk about it in private with your friends. no beginnners or anyone for that matter should be encouraged in any way to dive alone, it should not ever be an option, it should be actively discouraged by EVERYONE. it is irresponsible, selfish, and it's very very stupid.

I often free dive alone - not because I can't find anybody to go with me, but because I want to. I know it's potentially risky, but experiencing the ocean without the distraction of others is something I love too much to give up. Is this stupid? That depends on your point of view - personally I'd rather live life to its fullest and accept the risks that come with it.

It's worth noting that I don't have a wife or kids. My perspective might be different if I did.

As for "limits"? When it comes to free diving, it's a bit of an abstract term. No free diver knows his/her limits. Until, of course, they break them, which often involves drowning (especially if you're by yourself). As such, claiming to not push your limits is inherently foolish, but we try.

While diving, my goal is to enjoy myself (and maybe catch dinner), not to "train" or set records. Training for any sport implicitly involves pushing yourself, which can have very bad consequences for divers, as too many people have found out. This isn't anything I have a desire to do.

As for me? I never stay down longer than I am comfortable - if I feel out of breath once I reach the surface, then it's been too long. This doesn't translate well into depth/time parameters, since there's a lot more that goes into a dive than just that. And no hyperventilating - tricking your body into ignoring its own oxygen levels IS dumb. Personally, the deepest I've gone while alone is around 75'-ish, and usually it's 50-60 max. The real reason for this is that there aren't many accessible spots on the island that are deeper than this and worth the effort.

Well, this thread certainly has a way of resurrecting itself.
Let me offer a suggestion to all you solo freedivers who are solo because you "can't find a buddy." Instead of a buddy, at least find yourself a safety observer - a snorkler who can dive down 20 or 30 feet to haul your unconscious or injured tail to the surface should you suffer SWB or otherwise come just a little short of making it up on your own. Almost all freediving incapacitations occur near the surface; your safety buddy doesn't need to be another freediver of your caliber to reduce the hazards of freediving by a substantial percentage.
I frequently take my youngest daughter, who isn't the freediver I am yet (though she will likely pass me this coming summer, as she's 16 and getting better, while I'm 57 and, shall we say, "not getting better"), but knows how to get me to the surface and haul me ashore (or to the boat) if need be.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Well, this thread certainly has a way of resurrecting itself.
Let me offer a suggestion to all you solo freedivers who are solo because you "can't find a buddy." Instead of a buddy, at least find yourself a safety observer - a snorkler who can dive down 20 or 30 feet to haul your unconscious or injured tail to the surface should you suffer SWB or otherwise come just a little short of making it up on your own. Almost all freediving incapacitations occur near the surface; your safety buddy doesn't need to be another freediver of your caliber to reduce the hazards of freediving by a substantial percentage.
Rick
Good advice Rick, a good rule of thumb is for your buddy to be able to go to at least 1/3 of whatever depth you are diving to. As Rick pointed out, if an ascent blackout (SWB is actually a different thing altogether)were to happen, it is most likely to occur within 8 meters of the surface. Freediving has come a long way. I would like to think that for those who are serious about improving themselves, would also have the same regard for their safety. As I have stated before, RARELY do I freedive alone and when that rare instance occurs, it is nothing more than a little playtime. Freediving DOES have a great safety record (more people are injured bowling actually). The concern is when it becomes competetive. Here is where limits are pushed and the body is stressed, beyond abilities at times. If you look at each and every freediving incident, it was likely due to the diver pushing his/her limits.
I am saddened to hear of the losses in such a wonderful activity and I would hope that everyone agrees that safety is paramount.

I have free dived alone but only to 10feet..........I alternate snorkling and fdiving. I am a fish in water and often many do not appreciate my passion for the water. I try to listen to my body..............not push things. Be true to yourself. It is horrible to loose a person you love and especially sorry to hear of a death while free diving. I rather have a buddy when one is available(especially diving)-but thats not always the case and the water is my passion. What can I say I am a Picies/Aquarius cusp. Technically making me a fish in water.

Solo limit is 50 ft.

Buddy limit is the lesser of however deep my buddy can see me, or can go himself. I usually gauge the latter, by watching my buddy, and letting him go first, while I watch.

The key to watching your buddy is to have a snorkel with you. That way you can continue to breathe and relax, while watching your buddy's freedives. You can trade the snorkel back and forth, if you don't want one attached to your mask.

when I dive solo I don;t EVER look at my gauges. I "feel" my way to the appropriate depth FOR THAT DAY. those of you that freedive a lot will know your comfortable max depth will change from day to day. if your tired, partied hard the night before, sore from a long run. all this will effect how you dive. just becaus e you dove 75ft theday before don;t think that you can do it the next day. listen to your body and forget worrying about that "number" you're getting that day. wear your Gauge (I wear a D3) and check out your dive depths when you get home ans see how you preformed. makes for very interesting feedback.

Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom