Info How descend properly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I have noted the time for descents in some videos, since I was curious. I honestly prefer to casually sink, after several kicks to get the descent started. If there is a small and defined target, that needs to be hit, then I can descend at over 100 fpm without trying too hard.

Relying on carrying excess lead to allow yourself to sink very rapidly in a feet first position, (as you seem to do) presents it's own set of consequences (that can be avoided if kicking straight down is not used). Of course, the most important issue is to not harm your ears, so safe equalization should be the prime consideration not speed. Never the less, head first descents are going to be faster, require less effort and are used by many experienced divers.

Also, it should be mentioned that I think it is easier to descend in a more vertically direction when head down than it is to sink feet first, because you can often see a target on the bottom and the ability to streamline yourself. Being able to descend vertically and directly and rapidly is a very important skill that takes time and practice for freedivers to develop and this skill transfers over to accomplished scuba divers pretty directly.
I never said that I sink in a feet first position - I said I don't descend head down and kicking (nor have I ever needed to, even in current). I'm only actually feet down for probably the first 15 feet and then start flaring to horizontal and then slightly down angled by ~30 feet as needed - but I've never needed to race to the bottom vertically, head down like some here apparently have the need to do at times.

I'm also not carrying alot of weight - I diive a carbon fiber backplate with a 20# wing. With my new 3mm full suit, I'll carry 6-8 lbs of weight and, with my shorty, 2-4 lbs (depending on current).

When diving in higher current locations in Indonesia, we dropped far enough upcurrent that we could hit the desired point (where many times you needed to hook in or you would get blown off) - I don't recall seeing anyone descending vertically head down and kicking.

Clearing/Equalizing head down doesn't work as well for me in the inititial descent. it's great if it works for you, but my point has been that there really is no one/correct way to descend - you just need to plan your entry point appropriately in current.

I apologize if the construction of the statement is confusing. The infographic is trying to say a novice diver is usually unaware that if he begins the descent vertically, bending his knees, he will achieve a controlled and effective descent using the appropriate weight. With the same weight, if that same diver remains horizontal on the surface, the same action will be much more difficult, taking longer to descend and creating the doubt that he is not weighted and for that reason, he will ask for more weights. The infographic does not establish any relationship between: "horizontal position to descend = + weight". Says that "vertical position = better descent technique".

I tend to assume the skydiving position with bent knees and a slight head down trim. Seems to be a good compromise between being a controlled decent while having the hip dump valve up to make sure air finds it's way out.

Are these " articles " clickbait?
They look like clickbait. They sound like clickbait.
Not traditional click bait at all. They're designed to lure you away from ScubaBoard, sure. But they aren't trying to scam you out of your SSN or anything. At least I don't think they are. I seldom follow because I love the antics of a forum.

I just weight myself appropriately in those situations (a little extra).
I never add extra... I point my head down, exhale, and kick. The more vertical I am, the faster I'll go. When I need to breathe, I do and that usually stops me. When I exhale again, I restart my descent.

I never add extra... I point my head down, exhale, and kick. The more vertical I am, the faster I'll go. When I need to breathe, I do and that usually stops me. When I exhale again, I restart my descent.
Good for you…

Ain't nobody going down as fast head up or horizontal as a diver swimming down head first, silly to even suggest it. Maybe fast enough to get to a low current spot in good vis or shallow.
Each 1 knot of current is 101 fpm and much of the East coast of the US is at least a half knot at some point and up to 5 worst case.
A good unencumbered swimmer can probably get to 150ft per minute. So we're looking at a best case drop of 45 degrees or so and significantly flatter in conditions East coasters dive in.

Ain't nobody going down as fast head up or horizontal as a diver swimming down head first, silly to even suggest it. Maybe fast enough to get to a low current spot in good vis or shallow.
Each 1 knot of current is 101 fpm and much of the East coast of the US is at least a half knot at some point and up to 5 worst case.
A good unencumbered swimmer can probably get to 150ft per minute. So we're looking at a best case drop of 45 degrees or so and significantly flatter in conditions East coasters dive in.
Who suggested that? My point, for what it's worth, is that most recreational divers don't normally need to race for the bottom on descent. If you can plan your entry point you don't have to necessarily do it either, even with currents. I get that there may be situations/sites where that is required.

I have ~300 dives since 2015 (not a ton, but not a newbie) in the Carribean (Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Turks & Caicos, BVI's), Rangiroa, Fiji, and Raja Ampat, and a few dives in Florida (Jupiter/Boynton) and I've never needed to race for the bottom vertically head down to do the dive. So...do what works for how/where you dive - there is no one correct way to do things.

Back
Top Bottom