How DIR are we, actually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comeon... everyone knows a few lame and dangerous divers. I am not calling names to anyone on this board. I am sorry if it was taken that way. Someone who claims to be DIR but solo dives is clearly missing the point and is miscommunicating their intentions. I want to be on the same page with my buddy.

I dive with non - DIR buddies and in fact I still strive to be on that level. I just like knowing where they stand and what I can expect. Fortunately most of my buddies are my good friends and there is little if any doubts about how we are going to plan our dive and dive our plan.

Perhaps, instead of lambasting everyone who occasionally does a solo dive as unsafe, you invite them to dive with you to check out their skill-set and see how well they dive in a team.
The main point of my argument is that people shouldn't crucify me just because I might (sometime in the future) want to do the occasional solo river dive. As long as my team skills and situational awareness for team diving are up to par along with everyone else on my team, there really shouldn't be an issue. I know I wouldn't throw someone off a team just because they do the occasional solo river dive, if their skills are up to par.

Vayu:
Comeon... everyone knows a few lame and dangerous divers. I am not calling names to anyone on this board. I am sorry if it was taken that way. Someone who claims to be DIR but solo dives is clearly missing the point and is miscommunicating their intentions. I want to be on the same page with my buddy. This means they should not try to pull the wool over my eyes by claiming they adhere to a diving style that they do not fully believe in. Again... I am not calling names here, but miscommunication can be dangerous on any level (and lame ;p).
Fortunately, in my circle of dive buddies the label doesn't mean much. Some of my friends have been through several levels of GUE training, but still enjoy the occasional solo dive. What they do on their own time is their business. What they do when diving with me is also mine. We know what to expect from each other. My decision whether to dive with someone or not is going to be based on what they do when we're diving together ... not on what they do when we're not. And I expect the same consideration in return.

I enjoy an occasional solo dive ... but when I dive as part of a team I take my team very seriously. And I don't think anyone I dive with would say that my skills as part of that team are lacking.

Then again, I have never claimed ... or worried about ... being DIR. The skills are important to me ... the label is not.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was talking about a non team dive, "swimming off alone" not leaving a team situation...just for the record.

So...in Thall's list of priorities. If someone is comitted to the team but in terrible shape...are they comitted to the team? That becomes the question, in my mind.

Obviously, the more challenging and dangerous the dive, the more important fitness becomes. At some point fitness is more important than the details though.

hey...I am struggling as much or more than anyone. I routinely dive with male Marines or military, 10-20 years younger...I am ALWAYS the weakest fitness link. always. It kinda sucks.

catherine96821:
Obviously, the more challenging and dangerous the dive, the more important fitness becomes. At some point fitness is more important than the details though.

I disagree with this comment.

On a cave dive, I could care less how much you can bench press or how many miles you can run, but when you throw jump protocols out the window, I'm done diving with you as you have become a huge liability to the team.

Without the details your just a fit diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom