How DIR are we, actually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
... if I look at it rationally I'm likely at less risk diving solo than I am when diving with just students.
Of course you are ... when you are diving with students you should always assume that you are in the water with someone who is actively trying to kill you ... :11:

As to your other observations, my current DM candidate is fond of solo diving. He is also currently taking a tech class with another instructor. It has been interesting watching his diving style change as he's progressing through these classes. I think awareness issues are a bigger hurdle than attitude issues ... which is fortunate, because awareness issues can be overcome with training.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The reason I asked was a bit self-serving. I have a friend who enjoys doing long solo dives, sometimes 4-6 hours in rivers in eastern NC. Most people would consider this to be 'black-water' diving, as the visibility is usually only 2-3ft max due to the tannin in the water. Having never done river diving, I believe I understand it that he and several friends might go and they're doing "same river" diving where they're all in the same area but the vis is so bad that it might as well be considered a solo dive (or he does an actual solo dive).
He says that they're his most relaxing kind of dive. Double 130s and a 18w 13.5ah HID and he's set for 6 hours. I believe his average depth is ~11ft. He mainly goes for the fossils--I find it fascinating when he returns from his dive and he shows me a few Meg teeth that he found, plus all sorts of other stuff. Other teeth, bones, vertebra--he has several display cases of the fossils he's found.
I'm hoping, once I get over this danged cold :shakehead :shakehead and get my doubles set up to go in a river with him and see how it's done. Thus I was curious--if I started doing those as solo dives, how many DIR people would dive with me knowing that I do these solo dives on the side. Note that they're not solo dives to 150ft or any kind of penetration...just easy relaxing river dives probably no deeper than 20ft. Other than those, I'm completely behind the team concept for diving.

SparticleBrane: If you attitude is right for the team you are diving with, I don't see what impact diving solo on a different weekend would have.

I'm actually curious how you would dive in the conditions you described and still be considered DIR. Unless you were consistently side by side in touch contact, how would you do it?

jeckyll:
I'm actually curious how you would dive in the conditions you described and still be considered DIR. Unless you were consistently side by side in touch contact, how would you do it?
Can you do it? I'm sure you can--he's told me that you can go river diving with buddies, but since I've never done it I wouldn't know. I suppose it depends mainly on the current and visibility. Seems like this might be one environment where solo diving is the better option? As I've heard several people say--DIR might be the best option overall, but isn't always the best option for a specific environment.
I'll report back once I've gotten into it. :)
edit: The other reason I'd get into it? It's free and locally accessible. :D

DIR might be the best option overall, but isn't always the best option for a specific environment.

I am not going to argue with anyone here or comment on the river dive except to say that if you are a DIR diver or aspiring to be one you have to embrace it as a holistic system. The "I'm DIR when convenient" attitude in my opinion is lame and dangerous.

Then I suppose it's your opinion, isn't it?
If I'm diving in such an environment--no deeper than 15-20ft, doubles, but very low visibility, there probably wouldn't be much point in having a buddy because they just wouldn't be able to see me. I don't want touch contact for 4 hours on a dive where I'm looking for fossils...that's just ridiculous.
As long as I am a team player and back my team 100% during team diving, who cares if I do the occasional solo river dive? You'll note that several people in the thread have already made this point, other than me.

Down here in the lowcountry of South Carolina, people dive for fossils in our rivers all the time. Last week my DIR buddy SeaJay and I were diving in a river helping some dock builders find some tools they lost when their barge tipped over.

We maintained touch contact, but if one of us went one foot away each other, the other diver was gone from sight and lights would not penetrate for communcation. The vis is so low that you are essentially solo diving, but with our gas planning and protocals we established before the dive, if something happened we were close enough we could help each other. When viz is that low you start to use your other senses, hearing the regs click, and the bubble sounds. Again this was all done in 6-12 fsw but very dangerous nonetheless.

-Michael

Vayu:
I am not going to argue with anyone here or comment on the river dive except to say that if you are a DIR diver or aspiring to be one you have to embrace it as a holistic system. The "I'm DIR when convenient" attitude in my opinion is lame and dangerous.
Well, that depends on whether "being DIR" really means anything to the specific diver.

I know a great many non-DIR divers who are anything but lame or dangerous. Some of them happen to be among the most skilled, safe, and efficient divers I know.

What one needs to be a safe and effective diver are encompassed by the DIR approach to diving, but by no means exclusive to it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am not saying all non-DIR divers are bad divers. They should just accept they are not DIR when they are soloing... and for as long as they think solo diving is ok in any situation.

I would not dive the river alone especially if there was danger of entanglement or if there was boat traffic. I can see the need for a buddy in pretty much every situation I could possibly be in underwater. Thats for me and my diving.

Is a solo diver who is otherwise claiming to be DIR going to be a danger to me in shallow water? I doubt it.

Is a solo diver going to be part of my team in a cave or on a tech dive? Nope. I don't do these dives anyway but should I progress to that level I will dive with those that have a similar mindset.

Vayu:
I am not saying all non-DIR divers are bad divers. They should just accept they are not DIR when they are soloing... and for as long as they think solo diving is ok in any situation.
OK ... if you'll go back to the beginnings of this thread, you'll note that I said basically the same thing.

What I take issue with is the "lame and dangerous" comment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom