How DIR are we, actually?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
I've noticed that there are a lot of divers that dive just to see what's down there. They are often content to be skilled enough to get there and back safely.

Other divers are focused on the mechanics of diving; the sport of diving in and of itself. Honing their dive skills is an end in itself.

It's pretty natural for someone whose focus is the sport of diving itself to enjoy shooting a bag, no mask drills, etc. I'll bet that, as a group, they are more DIR than the ones for whom diving is just the means of getting underwater and back.

Charlie Allen

Just because someone enjoys working on their technique/proficiency does not mean that they do not enjoy "seeing what is down there." For some, there is simply a realization that proficiency, mastery of technique, good physical/mental fitness, working within a well coordinated team and having thorough dive planning are all proactive measures against the very unpleasant realities of the risks we take.

Rick, you're wonderful. I wish you got over to this side of the mountains more often.

dumpsterDiver:
Everything that I've learned about DIR has been from the internet, so my perspective may be wacked, but it SEEMS that "you people" agonize over the smallest details and appear to spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about things like: perfect trim and balance in the water. I never pay much attention to being perfectly trimmed because I am always doing something underwater, not stopping every 30 seconds to determine if I will tend to roll a little to one side if I stop finning for 15 seconds. So what if I roll to one side on my deco stop, it is not a problem.
Good trim and good bouyancy control are neccessary if you want to do things underwater in controlled manner. If you look fish at coral reef or take pictures or penetrating the wreck or cave dive or do deco stops. Good trim enables you to share focus between things you do and the team you dive with. We practive things that are building blocks of dives we perform because we want them to become second nature to be able to focus on dive goals. If it's easy coral reef recreational dive I want to be in perfect trim to have my team in view or in passive communication and at the same time to be able to take pictures and not to damage marine life. If it's wreck penetration and I have to lay a line I want to be in perfect trim again to have my team together and to be able to avoid slack and not to silt the environmnent. There are dozen of examples why some aspects of DIR training or parts of DIR equipment are important in particular situations. If you're interested just ask and somebody with experience in particular issue will reply. However, the best way is to get in contact with GUE instructor and take at least fundamentals to get picture what's this all about.

dumpsterDiver:
Everything that I've learned about DIR has been from the internet, so my perspective may be wacked....

That about says it all, don't you think?

Adobo:
Just because someone enjoys working on their technique/proficiency does not mean that they do not enjoy "seeing what is down there." For some, there is simply a realization that proficiency, mastery of technique, good physical/mental fitness, working within a well coordinated team and having thorough dive planning are all proactive measures against the very unpleasant realities of the risks we take.
Nor does it mean that a diver that sees diving as primarily the means to be an underwater tourist cannot appreciate the value of proficiency, mastery of technique, good physical and mental fitness, and working within a well coordinated team.

Being an underwater tourist and being proficient are not mutually exclusive in either direction.

TSandM:
None of my dive buddies -- DIR or not -- has ever, ever said one word to me about resenting helping me with my gear, or helping me get out of the water. This is MY issue, not theirs.

Frankly Lynne, I get so much out of diving with you, and have so much fun, that I'll gladly schlep your gear any day.:D

Crap, I can't believe I admitted this. Now we are going to be doing Sunrise in doubles, trips to Ansell Point, in doubles, errr, uh, oh well, at least we'll have fun.

I'm off to the gym to get into "Lynne's doubles schelping shape."

Charlie99:
Nor does it mean that a diver that sees diving as primarily the means to be an underwater tourist cannot appreciate the value of proficiency, mastery of technique, good physical and mental fitness, and working within a well coordinated team.

Being an underwater tourist and being proficient are not mutually exclusive in either direction.

Touche!!!

dsteding:
Frankly Lynne, I get so much out of diving with you, and have so much fun, that I'll gladly schlep your gear any day.:D

Crap, I can't believe I admitted this. Now we are going to be doing Sunrise in doubles, trips to Ansell Point, in doubles, errr, uh, oh well, at least we'll have fun.

I'm off to the gym to get into "Lynne's doubles schelping shape."

And when that gets old come on down here and we'll do Monastary in doubles and scooters

Ben_ca:
And when that gets old come on down here and we'll do Monastary in doubles and scooters

Funny Ben, I'm in Los Altos right now. Grew up down here, but didn't start diving until I moved to Seattle--I lived in Santa Cruz before Seattle.

I suppose if someone down here let me borrow a scooter, and they were also tiny like Lynne, I'd schlep their gear as well.:D

1) I started this thread in the DIR forum for a REASON. This was a question thrown out to people who ostensibly have bought into the DIR philosophy,

yes, I contemplated that before I posted.

BUT, unless you are prepared to give us all a litmus test and decide who is and who isn't...then?

THAT'S the problem you and other DIR people have. If a person takes Fundies but weighs 400 pounds and is an alcoholic...are they DIR and somebody who dives solo NOT?

You have to be prepared to draw the line or allow all to participate in the discussion, Lynne.

We don't kick posters out of the solo forum if they have something to say.

Personally, I don't see any bashing here, just honest dialogue.

You had the "DIR" people posting initially and they were just poo-pooing the whole fitness concept. JUst as you were attempting to point out (I think), certain tenets are easy and the ones that aren't get brushed off.

The notion that some "have bought in" and some have not is not intellectually sound. It is a continuim and unless you are prepared to say who is and who is not and to what degree, based on what you think the "buy-in criteria" is...then you have a problem.. I see "DIR" people posting all the time who dive solo, but secretly.

Are "the DIR members" going to start blowing the whistle on that and keep a list somewhere? Some people violate the tenets openly, others rationalize why they are DIR yet someone else is not. I just think the fitness component deserves to be higher on the list of favored DIR attributes, because a person's body is the most important piece of equipment you have. I think JJ gets that.

The thread has taken off in this direction because the DIR people were joking about Arnold and wearing black to look thinner. But..if someone jokes about the sacred gear config,...oh boy.

Of course, If you are going into a cavern systen, you decide "who is and who is not" DIR enough for your personal objectives. But discussing DIR as a philosophy on the internet, I am uncomfortable with those who decide who can post, who cannot based which attributes are the credible ones and which are "not important". That's the hypocrisy element that goes hand in hand with refering to divers who have "bought in" and divers who have not. I look at divers with no comittment to fitness as deluded and full of angst.

We lost another diver here yesterday. It's never because they did not have a long hose, or a redundant air supply...they are dying from heart attacks and no drill or gear config will protect them from that. It just deserves more attention, especially with our aging demographics. And you, an ER doc are the perfect person to do that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom