How do divers not realize their air isn't on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bet those old guys that learned with J valves know what OOA feels like and would not panic...
Panic? No. However, I've had suits with brown stains in them when the rod was already pulled. A good light on an SPG makes most glow. Put it up to your mask and you can see where that arrow is. At least enough to get an idea of how much air you have left.

This is where doff/don exercises, which some think are unnecessary,
Most need to be on the bottom to do this. They never learned how to do it mid water. I've had my valve turned off by boat staff a couple of times and I figured it out on the second breath. Both times I believe I kicked to the surface and asked someone to turn it back on. That seemed simplest to me.

Five years ago I back rolled off the boat for a negative entry drift dive with my air off. We had been having an incredible week of lobster hunting on that boat all week, so there was a lot of commotion and goofing around. I allowed myself to become distracted and complacent. I had geared up on my second tank during the surface interval, checked connections and tank pressure then shut the valve off as usual. What I didn’t do was PURGE the residual air out of the system. Moron! However, I DID remove all the air from my wing for the next hot drop. The captain finally yells dive, dive, dive! Glancing down at my SPG I see 3600 psi, so I hit the water with my heavy steel HP120, steel backplate and my typically empty wing. Very negative. Two breaths into the dive there was zip coming out of my reg and I was dropping like the proverbial dirt dart. There was no panic, only frustration at knowing I would be abused for my stupidity post dive. I simply placed my left hand under my tank and pushed upward, then raised my right arm over my shoulder and grabbed the valve to turn it on, all while finning towards the surface. By the time my head broke the surface my air was on and I was ready to continue with my hunt.

Moral of the story, as stated so many times before on this thread, take a couple of breaths off of your reg while checking your SPG to confirm your air is on BEFORE you dive.

Oh, and learn from your mistakes! I have never done this since. I also let the crew know I don’t require any help with my gear before they get anywhere near it.

So you are right @The Chairman, it all goes back to being overweighted—they simply can’t kick up. I was picturing taking off the bc while sinking while kicking up... try the valve before abandoning the rig. This is all internet diving on my part, Nothing compared to your years of experience!!

Five years ago I back rolled off the boat for a negative entry drift dive with my air off. We had been having an incredible week of lobster hunting on that boat all week, so there was a lot of commotion and goofing around. I allowed myself to become distracted and complacent. I had geared up on my second tank during the surface interval, checked connections and tank pressure then shut the valve off as usual. What I didn’t do was PURGE the residual air out of the system. Moron! However, I DID remove all the air from my wing for the next hot drop. The captain finally yells dive, dive, dive! Glancing down at my SPG I see 3600 psi, so I hit the water with my heavy steel HP120, steel backplate and my typically empty wing. Very negative. Two breaths in there was zip coming out of my reg and I was dropping like the proverbial dirt dart. There was no panic, only frustration at knowing I would be abused for my stupidity post dive. I simply placed my left hand under my tank and pushed upward, then raised my right arm over my shoulder and grabbed the valve to turn it on, all while finning towards the surface. By the time my head broke the surface my air was on and I was ready to continue with my hunt.

Moral of the story, as stated so many times before on this thread, take a couple of breaths off of your reg while checking your SPG to assure your air is on BEFORE you dive.

Oh, and learn from your mistakes! I have never done this since. I also let the crew know I don’t require any help with my gear before they get anywhere near it.

Who could imagine such a thing happening?

Good point @Soloist about shifting the tank up with left hand!

I dive with my tank higher than most because I typically don’t carry any lead, especially when diving steel tanks. I use the tank position to distribute weight higher. What I have noticed over the years is how very LOW many divers place their tank. The tank is hanging halfway down their butts, so the tank valve is down in the middle of their back. Seems like it would be difficult to turn your air on without removing your BC if you “decide” to attempt diving with your air off.....

Edit: this is not meant to be a negative comment with regards to how people mount their tank. That is a personal preference. It is just an observation.

Don't ya just love a happy ending...

Unfortunately, one of the crew on the boat noticed the idiot in the water cranking away on his tank valve when I immediately resurfaced. So not so “happy” about being mocked, lampooned and picked on by the other kids, but it was certainly justified!! :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom