How do experienced divers define "What is Advanced Diving?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why post in a thread you don't feel applies to you?

There are plenty of threads on ScubaBoard! Do all threads on ScubaBoard have to have approval from the "higher ups" to be worthy of existence.

Just don't post in this thread if you do not think it applies at all to you, your world or your views!

:shakehead:

I don't understand this post Halemano. Are you referring to me? I thought I pretty much followed the guidelines you laid on in the op.

PADI said I was in August of 2004. Right after my instructor took me on a few dives beyond basic OW limits, showed me how to use a lift bag, how navigate a square and triangle, and how to open a combination lock at 90 feet. Then I found Scubaboard and realized I didn't know shiite. And while he never actually told me I was an advanced diver I was never told I was not. That is the important thing. It was marketed to me as an advanced course yet gave me little in the way of skills that are used on what are commonly considered "advanced dives". I thought I was an advanced diver when I did my very first ocean dive into the well deck of the Spiegel Grove with millpond like conditions. Then five days later did the same dive which was also dive number 100 for me in a ripping current.

But I did these dives on a single al80.

Was I an advanced diver or just a stupid one. I did not plan those dives with as much care as I do a shallow solo dive in our local quarry because I did not know to. I do consider myself experienced. Ocean - both coasts, Bonaire, Jamaica, Puerto Rico. Fresh in the great lakes to 160 feet in 38 degree water, with mixed gas and deco, St Lawrence wrecks, lots of quarry and lake dives, but now my definition of advanced has changed. As it always does once I reach a new level.

The Doria is still where advanced divers go, as is the Empress of Ireland. But while 150 feet in Lake Erie may be an advanced dive, it's not AS ADVANCED as it once was for me. And I'm not as advanced as the people I look up to in Scuba. I kinda hope I never am as that will take some of the fun away. As it is there is always something new in my areas of interest where scuba is concerned to shoot for. That is I guess what advanced really is for me. It is not being content with the knowledge I have now. I always want more. An advanced diver to me is always looking for that next challenge and next level of knowledge.

I don't think of myself as an advanced diver. I do think of myself as an experienced diver, in the environments where I have a lot of experience. In novel environments, I can be awfully close to a beginner again.

I think advanced TOPICS are the ones that go beyond the basic mechanics of executing uncomplicated dives. Beyond basic buoyancy and stability in the water, basic navigation, safety stops and "back on the boat with 500 psi".

Thank you for your participation!

Was there ever a time when you did think you were an advanced diver?

:coffee:

For me one would be advanced when they understand what dives are above their abilities and do not attempt to do them.

There were two simple questions in the OP ...

halemanō;6135998:
OK you advanced scuba divers; looking into your past, when did you think you had earned the title "advanced diver?" If you have ~1,000 or more dives, when do you now think you were "advanced?"

The one that most applies to you, according to your limited "profile", is ...

When did you think you were an advanced diver?

I have no problem with you also answering the other question ...

When do you "now" think you were advanced?

I am also having a tough time wrapping my head around the question.

halemanō;6135998:
OK you advanced scuba divers; looking into your past, when did you think you had earned the title "advanced diver?" If you have ~1,000 or more dives, when do you now think you were "advanced?"

OK, here are the cliff notes ...

The one that most applies to you, according to your limited "profile", is ...

When did you think you were an advanced diver?

I have no problem with you also answering the other question ...

When do you "now" think you were advanced?

I don't understand this post Halemano. Are you referring to me? I thought I pretty much followed the guidelines you laid on in the op.

No Hank, that post has nothing to do with you. It only applies to posters who have expressed their opinion that the thread and topic are not worthy.

I jumped on a "top of the page" location; your last post just happened to be the bottom of the previous page.

:idk:

... I thought I was an advanced diver when I did my very first ocean dive into the well deck of the Spiegel Grove with millpond like conditions. Then five days later did the same dive which was also dive number 100 for me in a ripping current.

But I did these dives on a single al80.

but now my definition of advanced has changed. As it always does once I reach a new level.

Thank you for the honest attempt to participate Jim, but I do have to ask you whether you make Tech dives?

Jim Lapenta's SB Profile:
NAUI tech 1- Intro to tech and Heliotrox Aug 07

halemanō;6135998:
... a thread in Technical Diving Specialties (for divers who make technical dives).

I'm going to chime in here, as I just got chased out of the Basic Scuba section. I currently just certified as an AOW diver in October. I still have not made a dive yet with my new "certification." I was in the Basic Scuba section because even with my new title still difficult to think of myself as "advanced."

I now have official training in Peak Performance Buoyancy, Underwater Navigation, Deep Diving, Night Diving and Wreck Diving. I completed all 5 specialties under the auspicices of PADI dive training. I'm not that sure that makes me "advanced."

The dive boat Lois Ann in San Diego uses an "experience" guidline for categorizing their dives. You need 25 dives or less a beginner, 30+ dives for intermediate, and 50+ dives as experienced. The specifically state that due to watering down of requirements to have 'advanced' certification they do not ask for AOW or equivalent ratings. They would prefer a basic OW diver with 50+ cold water dives than an AOW diver only 20 dives.

For me, I'm somewhere in between intermediate and experienced. But if I was signing up at a dive shop for dives I would not hesitate to sign up for the advance rated dives unless they were very technical in nature. ie deeper than 120 feet with strong currents and poor viz. That being said I would do it if I was with a really experienced diver who I had buddied with before.

Guess by default that makes me advanced.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in here, as I just got chased out of the Basic Scuba section.

Just the concept of someone "chasing" you out of a forum is disturbing.

As someone who teaches at a recreational level, I would not consider someone at your experience level to be an "advanced" diver. I would consider you to be a basic diver who has taken more than just the entry level class ... but with insufficient diving experience to do advanced dives.

Would you consider yourself ready yet to do Farnsworth Bank on a less than perfect conditions day?

If someone with less than 50 dives isn't a "Basic" diver ... who is?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom