How do I dive with glassess?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stance

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody...
I juz spotted this forum as I'm deperate for help!
I am going to Pulau Tioman at malaysia for my first scuba dive... but problem is how do dive when I need my glasses to see?
Dun tink I can swim without my glasses because my sights are 600 degrees each....
Buying precription googles is out of the question too though!!!! Too expensive...
So can anyone help me please!
Real excited about this trip too... mabe you pros can give me some tips for a new kid like me?

Easy way to convert a regular mask since you can not use your glasses is to buy "correction lenses" that go on the inside of your mask. Most dive shops have them or check out an on-line dive shop. Later, if you want you can have lenses made for your mask.

Good luck

You don't have a lot of options.

1) dive without vison correction. - since the water has a magnifing effect it will not be as bad as you think.
2) drop in prescription lenses - they fit into your mask but don't lose your mask!
3) contact lenses -the disposable ones are inexpensive, but there is the chance of loosing them if you mask floods.
4) corrective surgery - probably the most expensive and you can't dive for a few weeks afterwards BUT that is the one I went for.

Hope that this helps. Contact lenses are probably the cheapest and fastest option.

wat about snorkling???
izzit the same? or can I somehow or rather fit my glasses into the googles???
;-0

Not only would that probably bend your frames, but I doubt your mask would seal around the earpieces.

Try your mask in a local swimming pool and see if the magnifying effect works good enough for you...if not, try to get a trial pair of contacts or something for your trip...I dive with contacts and have had no problems so far.

There are mutiple types of prescription lenses -- these include (1) custom lenses made for your exact prescription, and (2) pop in lenses that many shops carry (here in the US) that are for "popular" prescriptions.

Option 2 is much cheaper....ask some local shops about them.

While they may not provide perfect vision, they will be better than nothing.

A friend of mine took the ear pieces off an old pair of glasses and put the lense part into the mask. It worked fine for her.

This may not always work if the glasses frames won't fit inside the mask.

I dive with soft contacts.

Hi ya Stance,

I'm nearsighted and I use corrective lens in my mask. When I need to see things close, those lens tend to make it difficult to focus clearly. But it is not a problem, yet.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thanks guys for your help....
Tink I will try to get me a pair of trial contacts for the time being....
Any tips for me on my first dive?:confused:

Originally posted by sea nmf
A friend of mine took the ear pieces off an old pair of glasses and put the lense part into the mask. It worked fine for her.

This may not always work if the glasses frames won't fit inside the mask.

I dive with soft contacts.

Wouldn't the glasses be moving round the mask then?

Back
Top Bottom