How do I get hold of Aqualung Reg parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DM_Mike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi my name is Mike and I am asking if anyone knows how to get hold of Genuine replacement parts for The Aqualung Calypso/Titan second stage regulator. I live in Spain and don't trust local reg techs or dive centres as I have had problems with them servicing my regs in the past, (If you live in Spain you will know that this is "Spain in general" and diving is no exception to the rule). One example is that I had to trust one dive centre with the job of replacing a valve on one of me dive tanks. This was over five months ago and I still haven't heard any news about it even when I press the matter.

Now the reason I want the parts is because my second stage reg is free flowing and won't shut off. I know that it is the second stage that has the problem because I tried my octopus on the same LP hose and it didn't leak once. I know that I have to replace certain parts and I have had experience with equipment and reg repair before, but I don't want to take the reg all apart until I have the spare parts to replace the used/damaged parts. I also have the tech manual to repair the reg which I have read many times in trying to solve the problem but it basically needs something replaced.

Now that you now my predicament, If anyone can give my some advice or knows how to get hold of the overhaul parts kit (must be Aqualung), could you please let me know?

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Hey Mike:

Sorry to hear of your problems. As far as your tank, you should go and get it back, drain it yourself, use a 1.5 inch wrench (I think) and replace your old with your new- yourself! I'd drain the tanks at home, and then be a jerk by bringing them back to the shop, wrench on them, replace the valves in their presence and then ask for a free fill! Of course, I just reread your post and you said you have equipment experience- you should have known how to change a tank valve.

Now, if you had your regulator recently serviced and it creeps or free flows, take it back and tell them to adjust it on the spot! And while they're at it, have them show you the IP to boot to make sure that's ok. If it is just free flowing because after use, then inspection may be necessary. I will not tell you how to do that because I am not a service tech and if you think you know what you're doing, then you should already know what to do.

As far as parts, check around on some US websites. You'll find what you need. Anyway, rebuild at your own risk! If in the end your stuck with a bunch of parts, maybe take 5 months off and let your dive shop rebuild your regulators.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Thomas

I will take in what you said with much regard, but after having much experience with dealings in Spain, (I actually worked in a dive centre a few years ago) I know how to take the reg apart and put it together. As for taking it to a shop here or dive centre, I bought the regs second hand and don't have the previous service records So the dive centre won't guarantee them (strange I know but like I said this is Spain in general or at least southern Spain).

I shall try some of the US online shops and see if I can pick up the parts from there.

Thank you for your reply

Your in luck, there is an online dive store in Spain that sells AL parts. I have had them ship to the US so you should have no problems. I have attached a link but if it does not work, look under regulators, accessories.
As for your second stage, you will need an IP guage to do any service work so start there. Buy or make one before doing anything else. If the IP is OK then proceed to the second stage. It is common...or at least here in the US.. for techs to set up an octo to be less prone to freeflow and that will cover up some IP issues so make sure what the problem is before "fixing" anything. Your IP should be around 140PSI +/- 5 but as long as it does not go over 145 and is steady I would not change it. Pretty much any value in the 135-145 range is acceptable. I don't use BAR but if you do, you should have those numbers available to you. If the freeflow is just a small flow, I suspect all you need is to adjust the second stage a little. It is common for a second stage to leak a little a short time after service if the tech is setting them to perform at their best. The seats will form small indentions in them or "take a set", causing the second to leak a little. A lot of techs will set up a second a little tight to take this into account but at the expense of reg performance. I fully expect my presonal regs to need adjustment after a few dives but doing my own, it's not an issue, a little adjustment and it's good again. With the octo set a little tighter to prevent freeflow in the beginning, it will experience the same seat "set" but since it's already set tighter, you will not notice it.

Link below:

accesories

Missed your new here, welcome to the board and be sure the check out the DIY (do it yourself) section. Lot of good reg techs on the board.

Hello Herman and thank you for welcoming me onto the site. I had actually managed to sort out the leak. I couldn't get the parts I wanted so I took the big risk in taking it all apart (barring the spring, poppet, valve and lever). I gave them a good clean and assembled them all together. It still leaked but I gave it some final adjustments on the screw and nut and now it is hunky dory.

By the way, thank you for the link because now I can buy the service kit anyway and give it a proper service.:D:D:D

I'm not sure about your second stage, but if it's a simple "downstream" unbalanced stage you can usually flip the seat over. I'm sure you understand that the wear occurs in the small rubber disc (that's the seat) where it contacts the orifice. For regulators that use a simple flat seat with no hole in it, it's common practice to simply remove it from the seat holder and flip it over, so that the fresh seating surface is used. Next time you'll need a new seat.

I am under the impression that in Europe you can buy repair parts more easily than in the U.S. Is that not correct?

Appears to be so Matt, I have gotten Scubapro, Apex and AL parts from the above location (all in one order). All were in original factory packs.

I was thrown back a little by the price of postage for a such a small kit but I soon found out that if you purchase more than one thing depending on the order it is the same price, So I will make a list of things that I require before I start shopping with them. I have three different types of regs so each of them will need there own replacement parts when necessary.

Thanks for the tips guys.

when you re assemble the reg make sure that you use silicone grease or cristo to lube the O-rings up good, other wise they will turn in to rubber dust with use. (preferably replace the O-rings to) I made this mistake with the First regulator that I adjusted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom