How do I get O2 certified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner:
I don't believe that is correct. We lived in/taught O2 Admin in Canada for many years. Remember, this is NOT in a medical setting. There are many dive charters in the Province that have a DAN O2 kit on board for emergencies that had nothing to do with an MD.

AFAIK you can still get non-medical grade O2 (e.g.: aviator grade) without a prescription.

DSDO,

Go to this link: http://www.cpso.on.ca/Policies/delegation.htm

Skip down two paragraphs to "Controlled Acts". Look at #5. How is oxygen administered?

Now, there is a "Good Samaritan" clause that would probably protect someone who, acting in good faith, grabs the O2 kit he finds on the dive boat and administers oxygen to a bent diver in an emergency.

But I suggest no one admit publicly that they "certified" others in oxygen therapy in the Province of Ontario (other Canadian Provinces may have different laws) unless they are a physician licensed under the College of Physicians and Surgeons, or are operating under the direction of such a doctor. Purporting to "certify" others in such a manner (especially for a fee) could easily be construed as delegating a medical act and as such, be considered practicing medicine without a license. I suggest that any dive shop operators offering such instruction consult with a lawyer or ensure their agency already has dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's, first. AFAIK, Ontario won't recognize a medical license from any other jurisdiction.

Don't get me wrong -- there are possible complications of O2 therapy unique to SCUBA that the average MD wouldn't think of or recognize. Specialized training for O2 therapy in a SCUBA environment is probably a very good idea. Just make sure you CYA.

I don't even want to think about the possible pitfalls of administering anything other than medical grade O2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom