How do I get rid of the rust on my knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to a marine store and buy a can of Never Dull its is a safe polish that removes rust and other bemishes, it might take a few times but it will remove the rust.
:D

As it tends to leave microscopic bits of steel that rust very quickly.
Bronze wool or stainless steel wool are OK

WD-40 works great for rust stains.
If you spray WD-40 every few dives, then the knife will keep almost rust free.

Actually I got a little tired of doing that, so bought a Ti knife, and now I just chuck it after a freshwater rinse. :D

I got so tired of cleaning and oiling my knife every day. I switched to EMT shears as my cutting device, and love them. I find they stand up to rust better, and when they do get so corroded as to not work, I just toss them, and get a new pair. They're easy to find, and always less than $10 bucks.
Plus, if you drop or lose them, you aren't out the 50 or 60 bucks to replace a dive knife. They travel better too, some airports will give you grief over a knife. I keep a spare set in my dive bag.

Hello,

The short answer is you don't get rid of 'rust', i.e. iron oxide. Wise man once said if you want to keep anything then don’t put it in salt water. When a knife rusts you loose structural integrity and it's a downhill spiral from there. All you can get to is the surface rust and make it more appealing but you can not get to the subsurface rust. The easy and best answers is put it in file 13 then go buy one that has great rust resistance or one that does not rust at all.

By using all these mentioned chemicals and methods you are just prolonging the inevitable, besides when that one day comes you have to use it and the knife fails.. well you get the idea.

Ed

I didn't have a problem with knives rusting because I lose them - nothing else - just knives. I keep my EMT shears on a short length of bungee cord stuck in a little piece of plastic tubing clipped to my backplate. I bought a UK Remora a few months ago for my waistband and have miraculously managed to keep it - whatever it's made from, it sure is rust-resistant.:sharky:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom