How do i prepare for DM exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the help, guys. I am already reading the encly and workbook. It's lots of reading. Scary stuff. I hope i get through. Any more additional help would glady appreciated.

I borrowed my instrutors IM, very outdated, but at least I have a more general idea of what PADI wants me to know prior to testing. The problem I'm currently having is with the workbook, I left it blank so I could keep quizing myself with it(do I really know what I'll need to know, or have I just started memorizing those particular Q&A), so far the lowest score is a 85 (physics "yuck") everything else is groovy except using the wheel. I'm sure I can't be the only one in the world that not only finds it confusing (because I've never had to use, nor ever been taught) but there's to much room for error (did it pierce the line or touch it).... Another thing, I'm pretty sure the guidelines are the same everywhere with PADI so your going to need to do an emergency map of a site (my instructor chose it) for the surface and underwater, naming nearest recompression chamber, hospital ect.

Best of luck to you, theres a ton of stuff to read, some you'll need and some is just general info.

BTW, when I called PADI (2 days ago) they gave me a price of $150 for the IM and the lady on the phone said to go through my LDS they would be able to get me a better price than hers. Not sure if location plays a role in the price though...

baitedstorm:
BTW, when I called PADI (2 days ago) they gave me a price of $150 for the IM and the lady on the phone said to go through my LDS they would be able to get me a better price than hers. Not sure if location plays a role in the price though...

If in florida call Prodive, they sell enough of them that they get a decent break, and pass it onto you. If you were to buy it from joe schmo shop or a padi pro like me, it would be $147.74 paper or digital. The more a dive shop buys at a time the cheaper it gets, Padi has 7 levels of discounts.
Chances are your dive shop will also tag a few bucks onto it to make a profit off of it.
-g mount

I like the digital due to the handy search feature when looking for an answer to a standards question.

gjmmotors:
If in florida call Prodive, they sell enough of them that they get a decent break, and pass it onto you. If you were to buy it from joe schmo shop or a padi pro like me, it would be $147.74 paper or digital. The more a dive shop buys at a time the cheaper it gets, Padi has 7 levels of discounts.
Chances are your dive shop will also tag a few bucks onto it to make a profit off of it.
-g mount

I like the digital due to the handy search feature when looking for an answer to a standards question.

:wink: Thanks for the FYI, I have an order form from ProDive (complements of OceanFest) So I might just go that route... Looking at all the prices for the IDC/IE looks like I need to save every penny.

I have written all but one of the DM tests recently. The one I found to be the toughest yet was assisting students or supervising certified divers. Then you have to know "the PADI way". Otherwise you can use common sense. I studied for all tests by reading through the material and doing the questions in the workbook. It took like an evening per test, which I found was quite enough.

James Goddard:
You didn't mention the agency? With PADI most of the testing is multiple guess so as long as you've read the material and have some common sense it is fairly easy.

Most people think either the physics or the physiology are the tough ones. IMHO the difficult exam is DM Conducted Programs. Most of the questions on this exam are not covered in any of the DM materials. PADI recommends buying the IM and you would need it for this exam, but if you buy the IM for a typical (non-rushed) DMC you will have spent a lot of money on an out of date book.

If you're trying to do one of those DM in two weeks kind of things make sure you've read all the materials, done the knowledge reviews & workbook. There is a signficicant amount of reading/writing involved and you proably won't have time to do it all.

James

I found this to be an odd "catch 22" also. The DM conducted programs and Assisting Instructors tests ask about ratios, requirements, etc. that are laid out in the IM. However, when I tried to buy the IM I was told I had to already be a divemaster since the IM included the DM tests and answers. PADI ought to revise the curriculum/materials to include this information in the DM manual, IMHO. All you find there are things like general program descriptions and marketing suggestions, not the ratios and requirements/limits you need for the exam.

When I was working on DM the shop gave me a binder with extra physics and physiology questions the instructor had come up with to drill in the common mistakes. It also included some info to help with the standards and roles of DMs. I'll try to find the material. I don't believe it came from the IM. I would recomend the cdrom version of the workbook and encylopedia. I bought it in addition to the books to bone up for my IDC. It was much more efficient for learning and checking answers. You can also just clear the answers to start over.
I worried so much about physics because I'm math challenged. Physic turned out to be one of my best test scores. Go figure. Good luck and start early so you have time to let it sink in.

Hi, if you want to prepare yourself for the Padi DM exam, an efficient way would be to get the CDrom version of their Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and read trough the topics that are referred by their 'Knowledge of Diving - Workbook' Cdrom.
regards

sleepyhead:
Thanks for the help, guys. I am already reading the encly and workbook. It's lots of reading. Scary stuff. I hope i get through. Any more additional help would glady appreciated.

http://www.coralspringsscuba.com/miscellaneous/usn_manual.htm
What I found most helpful for the physics and physiology was actually not the PADI materials but the US NAvy dive manual (Link to free download above).
Those sections are in Volume 1 - most of the rest of the manual is not relevant.
Ok, I am now fully prepared to be yelled at for suggesting this as a study aid.

I took the tests a year and a half ago and I know they have changed them, but when I took them all the info you needed to pass the DM conducted programs and assisting tests was in the divemaster manual. I did not have a manual and I passed so.... but then again, I don't remember all that well.

The wheel just takes a little practice, once you do it right a few times it gets much easier, it just looks complicated, it's not so hard.

Good luck.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The US Navy Dive Manual explains it is in MUCH easier terms to understand than the PADI Encyclopedia. It seemed like a foreign language in the Encyclopedia and high school english in the US Navy Dive Manual! I can't thank you enough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom