How do i prepare for DM exams

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Presently taking the DM too, i failed my last topic of the exam, Physics......... I found it very tough & confusing.

Maybe due to the way it was conducted, we dun have any materials to read. Just the instructor went through the topics on his lap-top, then it was exam.

HOW TO PASS THEN? :06:

I took the DM exams 3 weeks ago. Here are my thoughts.

Physics - I don't see any way to learn the material unless you study the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and test yourself with the Diving Knowledge Workbook. You just have to memorize the formulas. I just found a way to simplify the formulas in a way that I could understand and remember them. Basically I wrote out the steps as I calculated the problems in the workbook and wrote a simple equation that was easier for me to remember. The formulas aren't that complex.

Physiology - You just have to read the Encyclopedia and memorize what you can. I looked for an easy way but all I could figure out is read and memorize.

Equipment seemed to be common sense to me but again, the Encyclopedia helped with some terms and the more obscure things that you normally don't think about.

Dive Skills and the Environment - wasn't too difficult. Need to brush up with your Rescue manual a bit and remember some of your Open Water training.

Decompression Theory and the RDP - just brush up on the RDP tables with the RDP book that you should have received with your Open Water crewpack. The Table Tutor program from Scuba Toys helps if you are very rusty. The Wheel is a different animal and a bit intimidating at first, but if you go through the the book that comes with it and teach yourself then it really isn't hard to use.

Divemaster Conducted Programs - I just don't know how this can be done without access to at least parts of the Instructor's manual. That is the only place to find the ratios of students to instructors and the skill requirements for the different courses. My instructor printed out the overview and skills pages from selected courses for me to study with.

Assisting with Student Divers - some information comes from the Instructor Manual some comes from the Divemaster Manual.

Supervising Certified Divers - I'm not sure where I got that knowledge. It think this may be the only section of the test that actually comes from the Divemaster Manual

So, in my opinion, to learn the material and pass the tests, you need the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, The Diving Knowledge workbook, the Divemaster manual, the RDP tables and book, the Wheel and the book and access to at least some parts of the Instructor Manual.

I took the DM exams last week. I passed all on the first attempt. Lowest score on any was 85 (only one). (All others were 90 - 100). Here are my thoughts:

Physics - I agree with the above post. You have to study the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving and test yourself with the Diving Knowledge Workbook. You MUST memorize the formulas and know how to apply them. (I scored 90 on this one).

Physiology - You just have to read the Encyclopedia and memorize it. Make sure to know about DCI. (My score - 95).

Equipment - Encyclopedia and Knowledge Workbook should be all you need to study for this one. Make sure to really know about regulators, parts and how they work. (My score - 100).

Dive Skills and the Environment - This test was my worst. All I can say is make sure to re-read and study your Rescue Manual, Open Water Manual and Advanced Open Water Manual! Concentrate heavily on dive skills! I studied the Encyclopedia way too much for this exam and should have studied the other manuals that I mentioned. (My score - 85).

Decompression Theory and the RDP - Make sure to know how to use the RDP AND the wheel. The wheel is not hard to master but don't wait until the night before the exam! The practice problems in the wheel manual are adequate to study from. Also be sure to know dive theory basics well. (My score - 95).

Divemaster Conducted Programs - Our instructor gave us the IM to use (borrow) for this exam. You MUST use the IM for this exam. (My score - 90). I wish I could tell you why I scored a 90 on this exam but I can't or I'd basically be telling you the questions. So, all I can say is be VERY careful and double check your answers that you find in the IM!!

Assisting with Student Divers - You can pass this one by just studying the Divemaster Manual and knowledge review. (My score - 100).

Supervising Certified Divers - same as Assisting with Student Divers (above). (My score - 90).

In my opinion, to be able to know AND understand the material well enough to pass the exams, you need to have these items: Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, Diving Knowledge Workbook, Divemaster manual, Go Dive Open Water Manual, Advanced Open Water Manual, Rescue Diver Manual, RDP and instructions, the Wheel and manual that comes with it, and access to the Instructor Manual (for the Divemaster Conducted Programs exam).

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom