How do you afford this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A city fireman,decent pay,but not enough.I work(worked) alot of overtime to save some money.If I would stop partying so much ,(single white male),I would have a lot more to spend on my new found sport,,plus my bikes are paid for,truck almost,no house note to speak of.The fire dept overtime that have worked the last 7 years and saved most of,has allowed me this..But,In 2001,at time of my divorce,I was broke,$700 in the bank and child support due.Thank the Good Lord and by faith,I made it back and was blessed with the work available I took advantage of.At 52 and looking to retire,,,,I hope and plan,whether it works or not,plan in makeing it to instructor and work onthe coast somewhe to supplement my income and pay for diving,,or work at walmart,as long as I get out of this city..Your prayers needed,,Thank you for a reason to vent some

And college student... so often with little or no money, working check to check... , but no car payment, no Xbox, no Big screen TV, new clothes, etc etc...

Also I've found that sure the Initial outlay of $ for Scuba is daunting, but thereafter its really quite affordable (quarry fee's and air). I'm not going to any 100' vis bluewater paradise anytime soon, but in the meantime I can still breathe underwater while working up to it.

Also... Craigslist/Ebay can be your friend... or inquire at LDS's as to when they periodically sell off their rental BC's and regs... money to be saved there on gear that still has life in it...

Also also wik... I think many LDS's are willing to work with you to get your business by way of free/discounted rental gear , free/discounted air fills... lil' things like that to help ease you into the sport with a minimum of financial strain...

SCUBA is an expensive sport and I see everyone talking about that trip they took to some exotic destination or what new gear they just purchased. What do you do for a living that allows you to enjoy diving so much?
It's really easy, here's what you do. . .

Risk everything you and your family have to start a business in a field you're not that familiar with (although I recommend you do it in a field you're familiar with). Then spend the next 12 years, taking no vacations, and doing nothing but working 18-20 hour days, everyday, to grow the business. If you do it right (and get a little lucky) you can then spend your time buying whatever equipment you need, to do whatever activity you want, wherever you want to do it.

See, doesn't that sound easy?!?!:wink:

Risk everything you and your family have to start a business in a field you're not that familiar with (although I recommend you do it in a field you're familiar with). Then spend the next 12 years, taking no vacations, and doing nothing but working 18-20 hour days, everyday, to grow the business. If you do it right (and get a little lucky) you can then spend your time buying whatever equipment you need, to do whatever activity you want, wherever you want to do it.

See, doesn't that sound easy?!?!:wink:

Glad to see that all worked out for you...:D

I enjoy the activity of diving, so a lake, a pond, a river, a beach, an ocean, et al, is all I need. I don't need to go to Borneo in order to enjoy diving.

Diving is an expensive sport but it can also be managed. If one is short on funds, then buy the cheapest, functional basic gears and rent the rest. The typical rental for Southern California is about $50/day for BC, wetsuit, regulator & SPG (or sometimes even cheap dive computers), tank, weights. It costs a bit of gasoline and maybe a few dollars worth of parking for a diver to hump down to the beach and make a dive. Add another $130 for a boat dive day trip.

I'm a male gigolo. I go on dates with rich Hollywood female movie stars and super models looking for a good time without the relationship. It can get tiring, (night after night, always being treated as an object) but the money is good and its always all cash deals!

SCUBA is an expensive sport and I see everyone talking about that trip they took to some exotic destination or what new gear they just purchased. What do you do for a living that allows you to enjoy diving so much?
I bought my stereo and VCR in 1993. I don't own and have never owned a DVD player, Tivo, etc. My TV is about 5 years old (my previous TV burned out) and is not an LCD, Plasma, or HDTV. I don't have a PS3 or an XBox. My computer is about 4 years old and I don't see myself replacing it any time soon (until it dies). I use a prepaid cell phone and spend less than $10/month on it. I drove the same vehicle for 14 years before replacing it with something newer. I don't go to the movies. I don't eat out much. I don't go to Starbucks and similar places. I don't have any ATVs, snow machines, planes, boats, or other assorted vehicles. I don't spend much money on clothes at all (I'm a big fan of the thrift store). For that matter, really, I don't buy much. I have more or less what I need and unless it dies or otherwise no longer works, I don't replace it. I generally don't "upgrade" or buy the latest and greatest of whatever. In general, I would rather "do stuff" than "own stuff".

Hope this helps!
nd

Glad to see that all worked out for you...:D
I wouldn't trade my life for anyone's!

But the simple fact is, you do what you have to do, because at the end of the dive, regardless of income, we're all wearing the same million dollar smile.:coffee:

Risk everything you and your family have to start a business in a field you're not that familiar with (although I recommend you do it in a field you're familiar with). Then spend the next 12 years, taking no vacations, and doing nothing but working 18-20 hour days, everyday, to grow the business. ...

Haha, I'm about 4 years into it, glad to know I only have 8 more years to go :)
Your description is painfully accurate.

Back
Top Bottom