how do you call a 'poor' diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps a label is not the best thing to hang on this diver. If you find you like this diver and enjoy having them along when you dive, get him squared away. That'll pay off in the end.

-D

mad once bubbled...
I didn't understand the name I could use.
Poor in italian is not only a man without money, we use it friendly for a disgraced one...
I know it's not easy, maybe you don't use it but another name...

Actually a couple of them may apply

The first is one is for a diver with minimal/poor skills. This is identified by spreading the fingers and thumb of the right hand while placing the heel of the left hand, with the left thub extended, against the palm of the right hand.

The second is one is for a diver with minimal/poor skills, Who has proven that he/she has no intention of improving them. This is identified by spreading the fingers and thumb of the right hand while placing the thumb of the left hand, with the left thub extended, against the palm of the right hand.

The first indicates a "turkey diver."

The second indicates a "turkey diver with his haead up his a$$."

The last is simply to refer to him as a "drowning turkey."

BTW the domesticated american turkey is dumb enough he can drown by looking up in a rainstorm. The wild variety is one of the smartest game birds on the continent.

FT

thank you very much. My conclusion is in english you can't define both terms with a unique goliardic adjective. In Italian it's very easy and 'poverosub' resumes both and that's the origin of my forum...

ciao

runvus4 once bubbled...
Are you speaking of someone who simply continues to utilize old, worn but proven gear such that many people look at them and think to themselves "Who the heck dives with that/would trust crusty setup", but in fact may be able to afford the latest and greatest gear/gadgets/gizmos (three G's of everlasting boyhood) but simply elects not to? So off the scale anti-hip that some people actually think that they are super-hip?

I have no idea as to any one word slang term for such a person.
Intelligent. Seeing as you specified old, worn but *proven* gear. :D
Labels don't stick well to divers - too much time in the water.

What would you label-fans call a canoeist who uses a bent paddle (the canoeing equivalent of dive equipment that makes life easy for the novice but doesn't work for challenging water or good control). Somehow, "stroke" just doesn't work in the canoeing setting.

(Yeah, my dive buddy and I spent the last two days trying to stay *above* the water for a change - ya wanna make something of it?)

I know a guy who got stuck with teh nickname "welfare diver" for a while...

His pony bracket broke on the boat just before a dive so the pony got ductaped to the back tank... I'm sure I have a picture of this somehere in my stuff. Can we say blackmail?

Then his drysuit wrist seal broke a week or two later so he had to sit out from diving that day and borrow a beat-up old drysuit from the shop while his was in being repaired...

He looked prety bad for a few dives untill he got everything fixed/replaced. :wink:

:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom