how do you call a 'poor' diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
I need an help, I don't know how you call, in English a diver, unlucky with no money or sometimes ridicoulous. It's not a state of richness, not only at least, but conditions make him/hem appear this state. I hope you understand. That's a goliardic nick for 'poverosub' :wacko:

Thank you, ciao, Marco

mad once bubbled...
I need an help, I don't know how you call, in English a diver, unlucky with no money or sometimes ridicoulous. It's not a state of richness, not only at least, but conditions make him/hem appear this state. I hope you understand. That's a goliardic nick for 'poverosub' :wacko:

Thank you, ciao, Marco

If you want to be unfriendly call him a "stroke".

If you want something more neutral then call him "unenlightened"

R..

Diver0001 once bubbled...

If you want to be unfriendly call him a "stroke".

If you want something more neutral then call him "unenlightened"

If you read a little more closely...

mad once bubbled...
I don't know how you call, in English a diver, unlucky with no money or sometimes ridicoulous. It's not a state of richness, not only at least, but conditions make him/hem appear this state.

He's asking about poor as in having no money, not poor as in lacking in skills. :rolleyes:

Marc

I don't. If one of my friends needs equipment I loan it to them or I may take someone that doesn't have all their gear but if I don't know them I dont' dive with them, especially if their equipment is insufficient, (if that's what you mean). Removes the possibility of a bad dive and lots of liabilities.

I didn't understand the name I could use.
Poor in italian is not only a man without money, we use it friendly for a disgraced one...
I know it's not easy, maybe you don't use it but another name...

Perhaps if you could give us a little more background regarding the word you are looking for we can be of more help?

You mentioned poor as in "man without money" and "unlucky."

You also mentioned a friendly term for disgraced.

Someone with no money could be called poor, broke, destitute, impoverished, indigent, bankrupt, penniless, or hard up.

Unlucky could mean unfortunate, unsuccessfull, wretched, or having bad luck.

Disgraced could mean shamed, humiliated, embarrassed, defamed, degraded.

Describing the situation you are looking to find a word for would make it easier to choose which term is applicable.

A diver without skills, class or money would be called a
"Texas Swamp Diver!!!"
Of course, they don't quite know that yet, so don't be surprised if they try to hi-jack this thread! :tease: BTW, we gave them their own forum to try and keep 'em out of our hair.

Are you speaking of someone who simply continues to utilize old, worn but proven gear such that many people look at them and think to themselves "Who the heck dives with that/would trust crusty setup", but in fact may be able to afford the latest and greatest gear/gadgets/gizmos (three G's of everlasting boyhood) but simply elects not to? So off the scale anti-hip that some people actually think that they are super-hip?

I have no idea as to any one word slang term for such a person.

Diver with no money: Financially handicapped.
Diver with no skills: The Deceased.
Diver with no etiquette or respect: The Idiot I dove with ONCE but never again.

NetDoc,
As a Texan, I revel in being tacky. As a Texas diver, I revel in my ignorance. As a Swamper, I revel in my muddy ignorance and think I'm having a great time and proclaim it to all who are within hearing distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom