How do you carry your housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should have no problems whatsoever carrying on regs- there is nothing about that them that makes them "check only" items.

I fly - A LOT-. Approx. every 6 weeks or so, often carrying photo/video equipment and SCUBA gear, including canister lights. I've found it best to get to the airport early so you aren't rushed, and to be up front when you go through the securoty checkpoint- open the cases and tell the gate agents what the stuff is. If you are carrying canister lights, it's a good idea to rubbedr band the manufaturer's manual around it. This really smoothes the way and makes things easier on you AND the agent. "Screwing" with the agents for the fun of it just isn't worth the hassle in my book.

iF YOU FLY NORTHWEST THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CARRY ON REGS (AT LEAST OUT OF GRAND RAPIDS mi) I HAVE FLOWN WITH THEM 3 TIMES AND WHEN TRYING TO CARRY ON THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CARRY THEM ON THEY ARE A CHECKED ITEM AND IF YOU TRY TO EXPLAIN LIKE I DID YOU GET HANDED A SHEET TELLING YOU WHAT IS PERMISSABLE TO CARRY ON THE PLANE. dELTA I HAD NO PROB WITH. I USUALLY INFORM THEM RIGHT AWAY THE COUPLE TIMES THE ONE AGENT WANTED TO SCREW WITH THE OTHER SO IT WAS A LITTLE FUN.

scubaaaronh:
Most of the flights now won't let you board the plane with regs in a carry on.

I've never heard of carrying on regs being a problem, and have never had a problem with them. Where did this happen to you?

scubaaaronh:
iF YOU FLY NORTHWEST THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CARRY ON REGS (AT LEAST OUT OF GRAND RAPIDS mi) I HAVE FLOWN WITH THEM 3 TIMES AND WHEN TRYING TO CARRY ON THEY WILL NOT LET YOU CARRY THEM ON THEY ARE A CHECKED ITEM AND IF YOU TRY TO EXPLAIN LIKE I DID YOU GET HANDED A SHEET TELLING YOU WHAT IS PERMISSABLE TO CARRY ON THE PLANE. dELTA I HAD NO PROB WITH. I USUALLY INFORM THEM RIGHT AWAY THE COUPLE TIMES THE ONE AGENT WANTED TO SCREW WITH THE OTHER SO IT WAS A LITTLE FUN.

Interesting, especially since the folks at security don't work for a specific airline, but for TSA. I am afraid I would have to push that issue- or find another airline.

At least 3 times a week someone walks through our door needing a rental of equipment because their checked baggage didn't make it. Also, any camera gear in checked baggage that is lost or damaged is NOT covered by the airlines - so............CARRY IT ON IN A GROCERY SAC IF YOU HAVE TO - BUT JUST CARRY IT ON!!!!! I know what a challenge it is, when Armando & I go on assignment, you should see our creativity in carry ons. If something HAS to go in checked it is the empty housing & arms. All bodies, lenses, strobes & SYNCH CORDS (you should see how many people come in with their synch cord crimped because TSA closed their suitcase or pelican with it half hanging out!) go carry on. I used to do the pelicans, now I do softsides - just easier & lighter. Also doesn't say "STEAL ME" quite like a pelican!
Have a great day!
Holly
www.photocozueml.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER OF COZUMEL

I carry the camera and the housing on my backpack (which is bubble wrap padded). As for the regulator and computer I use the regulator bag as a separate hand luggage. No problems so far…

Robert

scubaaaronh:

A chck of restricted carry-on items on the Northwest/KLM website DOES NTO list SCUBA regulators as a restricted item. I would definitely push this issue with a supervisor.

scubaaaronh:
Scubaaaronh, my wife and I are Gold Elite w/ NWA (~60,000 miles/year), and have never had an issue with NWA regarding regs carried on in the last 4 years. Or ever.

I will say that a TSA inspector looked our regs over extra closely last summer at SFO. He mentioned that they had recieved a circular that pointed out that some computer consoles had knives in them.

All the best, James

Hey Holly! It's so good to see you here. :D

HI DEE!!!!!! You know, I kept seeing "Dee" & went to the Dee Rags page & thought - "Gotta be Davida!!!" but wasn't sure - so YEAH! Now I know! Glad to be back in contact with you!!!! Hope all is well! When is your next trip to Coz????
HUGS!
Holly
www.photocozumel.com

Back
Top Bottom