How do you catch lobster? First time!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc once bubbled...
but they are not called "spiney lobster" for nothing! They have a metric but tonne of hooks, spears and spikes built into their exo-skeleton to impale the novice or careless diver. I had a really large one get all the way through my wetsuit... I needed a transfusion that day! :tease:

While spiny lobsters have more spines than American (Maine, New England, "real" :wink:) lobster, American lobster do also have spines all along their arms which have put a few holes in my "dry" gloves.

Damm-one minute you divers arew touchy-feeling, befriending sharks, and the next you are ripping body parts off! gahh! ~Z

Spiny bugs may not have claws, but they do have a good amount of meat in the head portion and legs in the bigger ones. If you're up for some work, that meat can make some great lobster raviolis with a pink vodka cream sauce...or on paired with avocados in a baby green salad...If we're in the mood to be that through, it looks like a crime scene when we are done! :D :D

TropicalDiver once bubbled...
Spiny bugs may not have claws, but they do have a good amount of meat in the head portion and legs in the bigger ones. If you're up for some work, that meat can make some great lobster raviolis with a pink vodka cream sauce...or on paired with avocados in a baby green salad...If we're in the mood to be that through, it looks like a crime scene when we are done! :D :D

That reminds me I forgot to mention lobster knuckles. The area where the antenna meets the head has a good size piece of meet in it. Boil these up and crack them open and makes good meat for a salad.

Ya hear alot about "Real" Lobster, and I'd like to add something...

Spiny Lobster
Maine (real) Lobster
Crawfish

Which two look similar?

ps... I live in FLA and I have a place in Maine.

A bug is a bug, if you think catching either is easy, then why are there still more bugs left?

They do move pretty quickly. For the most part, to do it legally, it'll take mostly practice. Keep an eye on your gauge/comp, and check your depth if on a ledge.

Also, I'd be a little weary of just reaching into any hole a bug runs into, I did this once and took hold of a green moray that had taken residence in an adjacent nook that had an adjoining entry. Could have turned out much worse that it did.

Just my $.02

-=V=-

Look before you grab.

If you can't see, use a snare or other device.

Eeels inhabit the same places lobsters do. A moray biting down on your hand will leave a quite lasting impression, and if he's in there, he WILL bite you..... :)

The cameras are too tough and gamey. Yuck!

I was talking to an old hand yesterday discussing lobster technique.

Tickle sticks vs. loops and whatnot when a guy walked in and said, "I use a trash picker and it works great!"

He uses one of the pincers used to pickup garbage without bending over. Apparently they work really well. He just reaches into the hole, grabs the bug, and plops it in the bag.

I'm tempted to try it.

The store owner only uses his hands. "Too easy with anything else."

Peter

Now THERE's something I had not thought about!

If you think about it, that would be a nearly-perfect tool. They have circular jaws, can hold nice and tight, are slim and will get in places a snare won't, and you don't have to deal with working them around the tail.

Wow - I like it...... now I have to find myself a nice cheap source for a decent trash-picker!

Thanks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom