How do you dive this place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright guys so here is the deal:

1). I have spoken to a few media channels here and one international television network has agreed to provide media coverage for this. They are willing to provide us with a television camera, an underwater HD pro camera and editing facilities as long as they own the footage filmed from their equipment. They are offering media coverage a lot of countries in many different languages as well.

2). We need the following:

a) Compressor
b) Tanks
c) Boat: This will be complicated. I do not know much about Moosonee but I am sure that one of these towns will have boats that we could charter for a week. If any of you guys can call and email the community there and ask them for the rates, we will then know what kind of expense we are looking at.
d) Transportation: Two ways we can do this. First is to load all this on the train and land there after 4 days. This is the most sure shot way of getting there but after we are there, we are left without wheels. Also ... we do not know how much it would cost to take tanks and compressors all the way up there by train. Second is that we drive to Waskaganish and have the boat pick us up from there. I am willing to do such a drive but we need to know the road conditions, gas stations, along the way etc. As of now it appears to be a dirt road and driving all the way up there on a dirt road is not a safe thing to do. If anyone could do more research into this it may turn out that this is easier than we think. That would make this a long drive plus camping trip.

I am willing to make a media-expedition out of this. I suggest we make an email group of all those who are serious about doing this so that we can share each others research.

You can also drive to any of these 4 towns rather than taking the train (i.e. although the roads are remote and some are not paved, they are drive-able roads not requiring travel by train):

Waskaganish, QC
[-]Kachimumiskwanuch, QC[/-] This is actually called Eastmain, QC
Wemindji, QC
Chisasibi, QC (the last shore town accessible by road)

Funny enough, I sent an email to the Tourism Director of Waskaganish about 2 hours ago asking about local opportunities to charter a boat.

Green pins are the towns, the ABCD pins are the turn off points off the James Bay Road. FYI, the only paved off road is the Chisasibi road.

James Bay.jpg

Last edited:
You can also drive to any of these 4 towns rather than taking the train (i.e. although the roads are remote and some are not paved, they are drive-able roads not requiring travel by train):

Waskaganish, QC
Kachimumiskwanuch, QC
Wemindji, QC
Chisasibi, QC (the last shore town accessible by road)

Funny enough, I sent an email to the Tourism Director of Waskaganish about 2 hours ago asking about local opportunities to charter a boat.

Green pins are the towns, the ABCD pins are the turn off points off the James Bay Road. FYI, the only paved off road is the Chisasibi road.

View attachment 139078

Wonderful! So this makes it a whole lot easier because now it is a long beautiful drive, followed by Camping for a week and dives from a private charter boat. From what I can see the best place to dive would be Waskaganish because it is has its own little bay within a bay with shallower waters and islands outside. Makes sense?

Can you dive in Quebec without an FQAS permit?

Can you dive in Quebec without an FQAS permit?

If you go far enough out you are technically diving in Nunavut :wink:. But, you are correct....that is a consideration.

---------- Post Merged at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Another consideration is the fact that this is all First Nation (Cree) land so FQAS may have no authority. I am just throwing the thought out there.

---------- Post Merged at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:42 AM ----------

In fact.....according to Google Maps, the VAST majority of James Bay is classified Nunavut ( http://goo.gl/maps/89rlo )....

---------- Post Merged at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:42 AM ----------

In fact.....according to Google Maps, the VAST majority of James Bay is classified Nunavut ( Google Maps )....

Look at that beach line along the inlet! From the top it looks like Bonaire of Northern Canada. That big island in the inlet Steg Island is only 6 kilometers from the beach. Further out islands are worthy of exploration too.

Wonderful! So this makes it a whole lot easier because now it is a long beautiful drive, followed by Camping for a week and dives from a private charter boat. From what I can see the best place to dive would be Waskaganish because it is has its own little bay within a bay with shallower waters and islands outside. Makes sense?

Too early to say what would be best. According to this depth chart for James Bay, it does not get terribly deep until you are WAY offshore. I know this is a very general chart because of scale but it does give you the flavor.

Capture.JPG

From early searching, I would suggest starting out from Eastmain (I corrected the name above). They might even have a dive shop......waiting to find out. There is a video on YouTube showing the efforts of several Search & Rescue groups to locate somebody named Andrew Moar.

As with before, I have sent a couple emails.

---------- Post Merged at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Traffic Jam on the way to Kachimumiskwanuch / Eastmain :D

9835592.jpg

Too early to say what would be best. According to this depth chart for James Bay, it does not get terribly deep until you are WAY offshore. I know this is a very general chart because of scale but it does give you the flavor.

View attachment 139101

From early searching, I would suggest starting out from Eastmain (I corrected the name above). They might even have a dive shop......waiting to find out. There is a video on YouTube showing the efforts of several Search & Rescue groups to locate somebody named Andrew Moar.

As with before, I have sent a couple emails.

---------- Post Merged at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Traffic Jam on the way to Kachimumiskwanuch / Eastmain :D

9835592.jpg

Is that depth chart in feet or meters? I read a report by James Bay Research project and it said that the bay is fairly shallow. Ideal for scuba exploration. I was thinking, if we are unable to get a portable diesel compressor, we can each haul ten tanks up there and do ten dives per person. Boat would still have to be arranged from there. Eastmain has a hydro electric plant so yes we may even find something to fill tanks with. If they have a fire department we may be able to get some help from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom