How do YOU do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archangel

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know a handful of DM's that have a sixth sense and are spot on.

I also know a trainload of instructors with an ego that are just downright dangerous.

What makes a good, no a great DM or instructor?

This thread is sorta like, "what I learned, or what I had wished I'd learned while a noob" I read a while back. So now lets do it for us Pro's and pseudo Pro's.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145681

DiveGates are now open,

Tevis

In the summer, keep a big Tupperware bowl of cut up fruit in the cooler...with cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew, strawberries, fresh pineapple...nothing like a nice cold chunk of watermelon or pineapple for the drymouth right after a dive....walk around with it and offer it to other divers....you will become very popular....

One thing that really helps me is that I work with the same instructor and have for the last two years. I know what he expects and when. Many times with students we only need to exchange a certain look for me to know I need to keep a closer eye on this one.

I like pros who know the local conditions and can anticipate current changes, or at least plan for possible changes.

I like pros who can find clear water and interesting marine life.

I like pros who make people feel comfortable, whatever level they are diving.

I like pros who can discreetly predict problem divers before they get into too much trouble.

Be aware of the big picture; know what is going on globally.

If a student is doing something in the water for the first time, fresh or salt, have a hand on them. You can hold the bottom of the BC and most of the time and they'll never know it.

Watch a student's face, if they are going to have a problem, you'll most likely see it in the face or eyes first. If a student is having a problem, touch them. A hand on the arm can be reassuring.

If you are leading a 'tour' then be very slow. Remember the newbies are just that new. They get excited seeing a sea star or sand dollar. Slow down and show it to them.

Situational awareness starts when the divers first arrive on location (dock, parking lot, ...), develop an eye for behavior clues
Be happy & confident (this is supposed to be fun), it's contagious
Be available, approachable, & responsive

There are four things about Pros I really appreciate.

T1) he thing I most appreciate about diving "pros" is often times how they deliver advice in a constructive, non-judgmental way.

I've always been impressed with divers who can tell another one "you sucked" without using those words and bruising them. Critiquing them so they understand the importance of changing a deficiency and still making them feel good about the dive really is an art-form.

2) I appreciate how dive pros make things look easy and they do it without arrogance and don’t mind sharing their knowledge of a skill or practice to help other divers. They could have 1,000’s of dives and Cert’s out the wazoo, but they never come across that way.

3) I also appreciate pros that can give advice and keep their opinion in check, especially when it comes to gear. So much about gear is preference and budget and understanding the performance gained or loss with different gear. It’s really nice to talk to a pro who can talk you thru the pro’s and cons and let YOU decide what’s best, not push a specific type or brand of gear.

4) I appreciate how a pro can talk to a diver about their dive safety, keeping them within the divers limits and not making them fell inferior. Pro’s always seem to get paired up with non-pros and they don’t seem to ever have an issue with it from what I’ve seen. They never have an issue following the less experienced diver and always quick to caution them about their own limits and just keep it fun; “don’t push it because I’m with you” kind of a statement.

Archangel:
What makes a good, no a great DM or instructor?

I find the best all have two things in common. They are always looking for how they could have done the job better and they can swallow their pride and take constructive critism without making excuses. It becomes an opportunity to improve rather than something to defend. I try to do the same anytime an instructor\DM\diver lends a piece of advice.

New reply to an old post -

What makes a great pro? Whatever your agency, whatever your "rank", the two key elements are a willingness to learn and never stop learning, and as with all things in life, there is no substitute for good experience.

As was beaten into my head during my divemaster training, always be able to succinctly explain why you did what you did and where you did it from. I think a lot of what makes a good dive leader is positioning. You should always be in the place that will stop the most likely problem the fastest.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom