How do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read an interesting survey that showed people who exercise outdoors stick with their exercise programs more so than people who exercise strictly indoors.
I don't believe this. I think this is one of those studies that contradicts whatever study comes before it...like caffeine bad...caffeine good...caffeine neutral.

I've joined my gym 3 years ago and still hit it at least 3 times a week. I think the key is to find an activity you enjoy. I like the elliptical and so I stick with it. And...I guess I like strength training because I've stuck with that too.

I don't believe this. I think this is one of those studies that contradicts whatever study comes before it...like caffeine bad...caffeine good...caffeine neutral.

I've joined my gym 3 years ago and still hit it at least 3 times a week. I think the key is to find an activity you enjoy. I like the elliptical and so I stick with it. And...I guess I like strength training because I've stuck with that too.

I tend to believe it because people who exercise outdoors are usually playing some kind of sport, or hiking, biking, etc. With sports comes the camaraderie, and a sense of competition. With hiking/biking/climbing comes varying scenery--a chance for your eyes to focus on seeing distance which office workers don't get a chance to do much of during the day--plus senses of accomplishment. There's a big difference between biking up the hill you can see and the digital "hills" of red LED bars on the computer screen. Some people need more tangible goals rather than the virtual ones created by exercise equipment. I know this is definitely true for my husband and myself.

The gym industry is also embracing this idea by offering more classes outdoors.

I'm not saying that people who join gyms don't stick with it, it was just advice for someone who complained they had trouble following their gym routine. I think doing more working out outside would be beneficial--particularly for a diver who by definition enjoys connecting with nature.

That being said, I read another survey of gym participants that found that people who participate in group exercise classes are less likely to cancel their membership than people who don't--again the camaraderie of having other people, even a workout buddy, works really well for a lot of people.

For regular, consistent exercise, I'd be lost without my gym. I used to walk a lot for regular exercise, but I could not get my heart rate up as much as I can when I use the elliptical, and I can't run because of my knees. The only class I used to take regularly was pilates. I should get back into it again. I won't do body sculpting classes because I have my own strength training routine and I don't want to overuse my muscles.

On the weekends, I will dive, swim or go hiking. I used to cross country ski in the winter but after knee and shoulder surgery, I'm kind of scared of injuring myself again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-gym. I've worked in the fitness industry in various capacities since 1992 and even managed a gym at one point. Gyms work for a lot of people, particularly those who live in cold, wet climates.

But from what Tom described, it sounds like the gym is just not working for him, so working out outdoors might be a better fit.

Hi to you all. For the past 2 years I've been exercising on a elliptical machine at home. That is the one with the dual action exercising your legs and upper body. It's ideal for me and I have not notice any knee problems. I've lost 10 kg's (about 22 pounds) in 12 months by exercising about 5 days per week, 30 minutes non stop per day.

Before I have started on this machine my weight was 89 kg (195 pounds) and after 12 months my weight has dropped to 79 kg (174 pounds). I am 1.84 m (6 feet) tall. For me this is a great apparatus, I am fit and feels great!!

I have not exercised during the past 2 months and have gained 3.5 kg (7.7 pounds) weight, but I have motivated myself and started last week.

the best way to keep on your excercise plan is to talk to people at the gym and get to meet people. Then all of a sudden, you're not just working out, but your going to a social event so to speak. it'll encourage you to go more often and just to keep going.

Unless of course you dont like anybody...

As a personal trainer, I know that not everyone is a gym rat. You have to find something you like, not everyone likes to run in-place or move iron weights from one rack to another. You can go outside to use medicine balls, resistance bands, trees, rocks, anything! The only limiting factor when working out is one's own imagination. Plus, you can't get discouraged when you miss a workout or two. Even the pros fall off the wagon, they just get back up!

Excellent advice Clifton. Let's see, a guy hit on me at the gym about a year ago. He was really cute and we started talking. Then I found out that he was a perv who only wanted a bj. :rofl3: I still see him occasionally but I just ignore him.

Then yesterday, as I was walking toward the locker room, I bumped into one of the salesman (a guy I talk to all the time) showing our corporate counsel around, and he is one of the most obnoxious people in our office. Oh great, I'll just into that moron in the gym. But I think we'll probably work out at different times since my hours are different that his.

On the other hand, I have formed quite a few friendships with other people there. We talk about our kids and other things in our lives. And the trainers are always fun to talk to. The woman who cleans the place has also become someone to talk to all of the time. Her daughter, who also works there, had a baby recently and I gave her a present. It's like family.

I am really lucky that there is a gym in my building where I work. Otherwise, I doubt I would have the discipline to go.

I've been hitting my local gym 6 or 7 years running. I usually go 3 times a week, but in "strong" periods I can go 5 or 6 times a week. This is not often though. It is important to make sure your muscles are not overexposed as this will have a katabol effect, as opposed to anabol. (anabol means growing stronger, katabol is actually growing weaker due to overstraining. May result in muscle damage)

I usually work out alone, as I find the single workout more effective, less dead time more lifting. Of course, if youre having trouble motivating yourself, consider working out with a buddy, you can push, support and motivate oneanother.

Another tip is to change your exercise prog every couple of months! If you grow bored with your exercises, change them! Also your body benefits from not repeating the same movements over and over.

Third, combine cardio with strength training for optimal calorie burn!

Compose your diet to go with your exercise, this will boost your performance and your gain, and in turn your motivation!

Keep an exercise log to monitor your gain.

join a forum for positive feedback, to discuss diet and get tips for workoutprogs.

Talk to staff at your gym, consider personal trainer! These should be able to guide you, motivate you and compose a workout- and dietprogram for you!

Try to focus on the positives of training, health benefits, how good you will look come summer, how good youll feel about yourself, staying fit and healty for your loved ones.... Pick your motivator!

Remember, keeping fit is a lifestyle not a every-now-and-then thing!

Good luck!

-Daniel-

So here is my question. It is something that has bothered me all of my life.

How do you face an exercise program? I hear about people who talk about a “great workout”….HUH? I would rather go to the dentist, paint my house & garden in the snow than workout. When I am done with a workout I would like to slap a puppy & spit on someone’s shoes. What on this green earth gives you a mindset to tolerate these feelings along with the discomfort, and mind-numbing boredom?

I have lasted as long as a year doing workouts a few times a week, simply with the goal of being capable of hauling dive gear across the beach easier, but this has become an impossible sell to myself. Is there an obvious trick I am missing? Not so obvious of trick? How do you do it, week in and week out?

In my opinion, you're never going to stick to an exercise regimen unless you enjoy the regimen itself. That should be obvious, but so many people are focused on the goal of losing weight or whatever that they forget to find something they like.

I can not, and never could, join a standard gym and go in there an hour a day. Lifting the same weights over and over again is boring. Running on a treadmill over and over again is boring. Gyms know this, which is why they try to get you to sign up for a year, the drop off rate after a month is astronomical.

So, for me, the thing that got me excited about being active was finding sports that I enjoy. I started with rock climbing and climb 1-3 days a week. That alone keeps me in pretty good overall shape. I run very extremely rarely, but when I do it's with a Hash House Harriers group (a drinking group with a running problem). I'll run if there's beer waiting for me when I'm finished. Plus, they're a large group of really fun people and running with them keeps me motivated. I've done crossfit for weight/strength training, it's fun and challenging because it's a different routine every day. I've taken martial arts classes, I'm signing up for a dance class soon, I've played kickball, I'm joining a soccer team. I hike. I may get into mountain biking (I have a few friends that are pretty serious about it). I pretty much never do a standard gym routine, and I'm pretty damn fit.

In short, expand your definition of working out and fitness to include things that YOU think are fun, and then you'll be excited to do them.

Back
Top Bottom