How do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for me, once you get into the routine and get over those first 5-6 days, you start to physically feel good. that's my motivation. after a month or so and you start seeing results, a lightbulb goes off and you say "woah, this actually works!".

plus, it helps trying to do stuff you actually enjoy. i started boxing a couple of years ago (boxing training, not actually getting punched in the face) and its really fun. when i hit the speed bag, heavy bag, etc. that is actually really intense, fun and works your body harder than you can imagine.

Hi Tom,

I'm still here as well. For the moment. Just got back from Cayman Brac and now on my way to a wedding on the east coast.

Thanks for answering the questions. You are accomplished and obviously passionate about diving. I have some immediate thoughts for you, but would like to gel with them awhile.

You're really not alone with not liking the workout thing.

I have a physician client who has been with me for 10-years. He told me to "just get him through the workout". He hates it - doesn't want to know what he's working or why. Just feels it's something he needs to do and knows he wouldn't do it on his own. When I finally opened a private studio I put his classical music on for his workout and it was a better overall experience. But, still a "tough sell" as you put it. It took me five years just to get him to have a turkey sandwich at lunch instead of a diet coke and cookie. (no reflection on me - I took him his lunch a couple of times)

I don't feel this is the same as your scenario - just wanted to share another workout story.

I'll gel at the wedding and get back to you soon.

I Like all the other input. Also hope to get to bad knees topic.

Hi everyone... I'd like to chime in if I may. I used to be a certified personal trainer (ISSA) for quite a few years and competed in the bodybuilding circuit for a short time, now basically I just train myself as I didn't want to make a FT job out of personal training. If anyone has any questions regarding strength conditioning or just general training questions please PM me.

Getting to the gym is a tough thing.. you have to vision it and want it badly enough. If you're bored with your routine then you need to change it. It should be changed often anyway in order to "shock" the body and keep your muscle tissue from adapting to the current regimen too much. Having a workout partner is much better as they can be your motivator but ultimately only YOU can change things and it's YOU who has to want it. I've been doing it so long it's become a part of my life, it's not a chore nor a hobby.

Well it looks like there are others here as well that know a fair share about fitness, nutrition etc but I just wanted to offer my assistance as well.

FYI, I'm still lurking, started some minor steps. This isn't some instant gratification thing....damn, I LIKE instant gratification.

I am a firm believer that you have to find an activity you enjoy. I like to run, so that is my choice exercise. I also enjoy the how my body feels after I weight train.

I remember the day when I did not like to exercise. It took me a couple of months to actually enjoy "burning fat." And, I found that renaming my time at the gym from working out to burning fat makes a huge mental difference. It shouldn't be work, it should be a lifestyle.

Denise

my whole approach is to find a shorter beach or dive off a boat. Lol, because like you, "working out" is a miserable task.

Stick to it for a length of time, and it WILL become a habit. It took about a month for me. Now I simply cannot imagine myself not working out ever again. I had to take some time off due to some surgery recently, and could not wait to jump back into the routine.

I just can't stand the way your body gets after not doing some regular physical activity on a daily basis. I can even tell something's 'off' when trying to reach down and pick something off of the floor.

You have to pick something you like doing, else you just won't stick with it. Everyone says this, but it's true. It may take some time to find what you enjoy. But sticking with something will get you results. Granted, it may not be overnight, but set a realistic goal of assessing things after a month, maybe two, and you'll start noticing changes. And that will make you want to stick to exercising even more.

After I found a good mix of hard cardio for 50 minutes, then onto either yoga or pilates (depending on the day), I look forward to the workout now and find I'm energized but also relaxed afterwards. I sleep like a baby at night now. My health is better. I find I eat WAY better (I actually cook most everything myself now)because junk into your body will cause it to not run properly. You'll start to notice these things. And it's great for busting through stress accumulated throughout the day.

When we were kids, we used to love being outside, playing and running around, riding our bikes, being active. Why being active turned into such a chore now that we are adults, I'm not sure. I quit looking at it as a burden and more like play time for me. And sure, everyone is busy, but I found time by not laying in front of the TV and/or sitting in front of the computer after I came home from work.

Stick with it long enough to see results (after setting a realistic timeline for yourself), and you'll find it's become as much a habit as brushing your teeth.

Last edited:
I had to establish a purpose for my exercise and then find something I liked doing. For me diving wasn't enough of a purpose (denial is too powerful), I could dive adequately out of shape. Backpacking in the Sierras however was another story, 7 miles with 3000-4000' feet of elevation gain will let you know VERY quickly what kind of shape you're in. So Jimmy needed a program, at first I was all gym, eleptical, weights, etc... Lost interest after a few months. Then a friend got me into cycling, that was the ticket. Now I ride 3x a week, 2 shorter (about 1 hour), but high intensity, 1 long butt kicker (30-50 miles, with serious hills). Then 3x a week I'm back in the gym, but mixing it up, stair climber & eleptical for cardio, and weights every time. This seems to be working, I am stronger, ride harder, and golly gee, a much happier diver.

Hi Tom - It's ScubaFit.

I just finished reading your answers again. Your lifestyle information is helpful. Many times it's simply a matter of scheduling. Sometimes it's a matter of fatique or burnout. And, of course we have already covered lack of interest or enjoyment of exercise.

Here are my thoughts:

1. It should NOT bother you that you get your exercise through sport activity such as diving. Embrace it!

2. You are what I would consider ScubaFit based on the description of your shore diving activity. If you weren't ScubaFit, you would not be able to dive in this manner. Dive days are workout days for you! In addition, your previous cycling has contributed to a longtime fitness level.

3. If you want to add something more to what you're doing, my recommendation is additional activity two times each week. This activity could be (if you need a motivating reason) to enhance your diving even more. If you're like me, you want to dive forever and remain injury free. Other motivating reasons can be health concerns/clinical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. If you have any of these conditions, your option to exercise or not has greater benefits/consequences.

4. There is a full spectrum of exercise to choose from. Perhaps a "mind captivating" activity would be a good place to start. Your fitness goals should include both aerobic (heart and lungs) and anaerobic exercise (muscles). While I personally believe that nothing can replace weight training in itself - picking up a rock and setting it down again is also weight training. Other anaerobic activities (involving stop-and-start and/or balllistic muscle response with an adequate oxygen pathway) are bowling, tennis, racquetball, softball, baseball, volleyball, golf, some dancing and group exercise. You will accomplish your fitness goals with any of these activities and develop strength endurance that enhances your diving. Aerobic activities that will accomplish some strength with more cardiovascular are swimming, running and cycling.

5. I recommend you take advantage of social opportunities to engage in these activities. Family time, church and/or dive club picnics, corporate events, etc. Supplement exercise with purpose when life doesn't offer the minimum of four hours or sessions of activitiy each week. For example, if you don't dive next week, make sure you do something else, such as golf with a business associate, help a friend move or go hiking during a family camp out.

In closing. My impression of you is that you are someone who is usually good at both the plan and the process. Exercise doesn't have be done at the same intensity in life that you do everything else to be a positive. You have a full schedule and a full life. Enjoy it. .

Hope this helps.
ScubaFit

I just read an interesting survey that showed people who exercise outdoors stick with their exercise programs more so than people who exercise strictly indoors.

It's a trend in health clubs to offer outdoor boot camp classes for that very reason.

I would recommend taking up the bike again, hiking, etc. or even doing your pushups and situps outside. You might find that much more motivational and enjoyable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom