How do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is sick. I think he is trying to kill me.
:rofl3:You should see the messengers in NYC. Scary dudes. I hated riding my bike on the streets of suburban NJ because the drivers just don't pay attention. they go through stop signs, run red lights, don't look before they turn. I used to put my bike on my car and go to a bike path where the walkers walk abreast of each other and don't move when you shout, or rollerbladers try to go around a baby stoller and move right into your path. I was almost glad when my bike was stolen.:rofl3:
I haven't been rollerblading since I had my rotator cuff surgery. I've been too afraid of falling and tearing it again. But that used to be my very favorite exercise:(

Yea, we don't stop either. You would know it was safer if you watched me trying to clip in and out while keeping up with him. It's dangerous, I hate it. I do it it so he won't dump me. If you like dangerous men, you gotta hang with them a little. I don't want an accountant.

..talk about hard on your knees (when they get pulverized in one impact)

When we ride at the Rosebowl, I observe all the different types of people working out. I see a huge difference these days-- suddenly lots of *poor*, overweight inner-city mothers exercising with their small children, which is great and I spend time admiring them. They don't have a lot of fancy equipment, but I see them in those sneakers hitting it everyday, establishing great habits for their children I try and notice positive/ feel good things like this...the weather, nature, the lighting, while I am working out and this triggers my positve association for exercising each day. It becomes a sense of "community" and even though I cannot think positive thoughts all day, I find I can train my mind to do it for 40 minutes to an hour. I know others are doing the same thing, because people are all very friendly and we kind of nod and acknowledge each others struggles with *knowing* looks.

I think this type of intense positive thinking for a given period is probably the kind of thing that people who attend church or temple regulary might establish.

(JB and I were observing how some women who walk with each other just gossip, it seems to us, and what a pity that is to be doing that while exercising)
...they are missing the boat in a way. (Men don't do it.)

Last edited:
I think you need to find some form of exercise that makes you want to get out there and do it...there´s a guy who´s written a lot about flow, that really put into words what I feel when I have a great work out:
Mihály CsÃ*kszentmihályi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reading up on it might help you get a better idea what you "should" be looking for...

I find it running, cycling, swimming, spinning as well as playing stuff like badminton, squash, soccer, basketball and loads of other things...my advice would be to look for it and not stop until you find it...

It´s weird too, when jogging I need to do about 10k, to really feel it, but when I do, it´s like catherine was saying...a good rush...I´m an addict :D

I also think it helps on having one "challenge" for each workout, whether that´s about really pushing it up-hill, doing 5 more reps/lbs in the gym or whatever, have something that challenges you and motivates you to keep reaching beyond that comfort zone that most people find after a few weeks...

Of course it also helps to have some semi-longterm goal...like a race or just a day every month or so when you max and see the progress you´ve made...have something to measure yourself against so that you see progress...it could be your weight, waiste-line, heart-rate, or whatever...

...also scheduling your exercise...write it down, if it´s on paper/in your calendar, it becomes "real"...at least to me...

just some ideas...

but is best known as the architect of the notion of flow

Yea, we don't stop either. You would know it was safer if you watched me trying to clip in and out while keeping up with him. It's dangerous, I hate it. I do it it so he won't dump me. If you like dangerous men, you gotta hang with them a little. I don't want an accountant.
Yeah, but I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff.:rofl3:

..talk about hard on your knees (when they get pulverized in one impact)

When we ride at the Rosebowl, I observe all the different types of people working out. I see a huge difference these days-- suddenly lots of *poor*, overweight inner-city mothers exercising with their small children, which is great and I spend time admiring them. They don't have a lot of fancy equipment, but I see them in those sneakers hitting it everyday, establishing great habits for their children I try and notice positive/ feel good things like this...the weather, nature, the lighting, while I am working out and this triggers my positve association for exercising each day. It becomes a sense of "community" and even though I cannot think positive thoughts all day, I find I can train my mind to do it for 40 minutes to an hour. I know others are doing the same thing, because people are all very friendly and we kind of nod and acknowledge each others struggles with *knowing* looks.
this is absolutely true. And it's a good thing that these people are out exercising because I just happened to watch the news tonight (something I rarely do) and I saw this report on diabetesABC News: Twofold Action Urged for Pre-Diabetes
My gym has a lot of elderly and physically disabled people working out. They can hardly move but they are there almost every day doing what they can. Makes me feel embarrassed when I'm feeling just too lazy to go.

....... they are there almost every day doing what they can.....

theyre not going there every day Ellen... they havent left because they are trying to finish off stuff from the day befores session :D

I think maybe Izzy told me? he can pipe up if he sees this and set me straight.

I have heard it from several trainers, I know. They say it is an unnatural movement that moves the knee joint in a way it was never designed. I could be wrong....

Hi Catherine! The Elliptical has been referred by many therapists as "The Silent Knee Destroyer" and it does not surprise me. The awkward angle at which the forces enter the body increases the stress in the certain areas of knee tissues (which vary depending on the structure of the person).

This is in itself is not bad since EVERY form of exercise is a completely artificial form of force application and increases stresses to some tissues more than others.

However, under the false premise that it is SAFER than other pieces of equipment, a significant number of people were doing it repeatedly and developed overuse injuries. Mind you, most had the best intentions and thought they were doing the right thing by removing the "harmful" impact.

One aspect of confusion is the arbitrary classification of something being "GOOD" or "BAD". There is no such thing as a "BAD" or "DANGEROUS" exercise, only exercises that have been applied poorly and at the wrong time.

It is common to hear people say "Running is bad for your knees". I call lunch meat on that one! Running is ONLY bad for you if you exceed your functional strength capacity and run with poor mechanics (like the majority of runners out there). From anecdotal evidence, every single complaint of running "being bad" that came to me was ALWAYS an individual with no strength training, distortive postural fixations, and horrendous running technique. Once all the aspects were addressed, the individuals returned happily to their activities.

Unhealthy joints are the results of excessive forces which could be either acute (as in trauma) or excessive wear and tear (as in overuse through repeated movement patterns)

Whatever you do, as long as you vary the activities and make the activities challenging enough to get you mentally involved, you will spare your joints unnecessary wear and tear and get lasting results.

See you beneath the surface.

I have used the elliptical at least 3 times a week for 4 years and have not experienced any knee trouble. there are several different types of machines that require different form for proper use. I was using one wrong and developed a muscle strain.

Yes, most knee injuries from running are from overuse. Not sure how I tore my meniscus but to keep from having surgery again, I don't run anymore.

It is common to hear people say "Running is bad for your knees". I call lunch meat on that one! Running is ONLY bad for you if you exceed your functional strength capacity and run with poor mechanics (like the majority of runners out there). From anecdotal evidence, every single complaint of running "being bad" that came to me was ALWAYS an individual with no strength training, distortive postural fixations, and horrendous running technique. Once all the aspects were addressed, the individuals returned happily to their activities.

I gave up running about 10 years ago but I do believe I COULD do it again, I just find other things to do instead although I miss it at times. Chi Running might have the right idea but I've never bought any of the literature or tried it personally. I still think about it often, however.

I decided a while ago running is not good for your face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom