How do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another tip is to tune in to the endorphin afterglow. Some people are not affected as much. but perhaps you just are not paying attention. Enjoy the high.

Another tip is to tune in to the endorphin afterglow. Some people are not affected as much. but perhaps you just are not paying attention. Enjoy the high.

So true. Since I quit drinking, that and narcosis are the only highs I get.

FYI to all, I don't want you to think I am not reading this, I am still here, & I deeply appreciate the time you have spent on your responses. I'm still taking it in......

So true. Since I quit drinking, that and narcosis are the only highs I get.

That is a good point. Drinkers and smokers won't feel it and it will be almost imperceptable.

that and narcosis are the only highs I get
Me too, I have to watch out for the narcosis one, being somebody who likes altered consciousness.

yes, getting high on exercise is cultivated. I actually sit around thinking "I am going to go ride my bike, even though I don't want to so I can get a buzz" Dodging cars, like narcosis, is what I need to beware of. I get little adrenalin bursts and I can't let myself get hooked into that, too much. Following JB through intersections over my head was not going to end well, although it was invigorating.

Definetly work on cultivating the habit of exercise, over the strenuousness of it, initially, until you have the habit established.
make it pleasant and short, until the habit is established. Let the high pull you in and then, manage that. Stop drinking, even occasionally, until you get your brain calibrated to these chemical rewards.

God, I sound like a real freak.

lol...hey Hank: there is a third: Tantra

Tom, maybe read about "Flow". They say Tony Snow used his music to get high. I want to read more about that myself.

As you can see, different things work best for different people. You did ask how do we do it so I guess examples are in order. I have no problem with motivation to work out. I'm 54 and wish to stay as healthy and independent as long as I can. I don't want someone draggin' my decrepit arse to the toilet and shoveling down handfuls of pills every day. About eight years ago, I was 40 lbs heavier and had been taking blood pressure meds for 11 years. When they wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering meds, I said WAIT A MINUTE, ISN'T THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO HERE? The doctor, for the first time, said, "as a matter of fact there is!" Exercise and diet control. I was off everything within two months after loosing the lbs on what I call the "Fear of Dying" diet and haven't gone back. Works great but I wouldn't recommend it!

So, my advice is think about what you enjoy in life and think about how long you'll be able to continue to do those things with your current lifestyle. As mentioned in another post, think about any loved ones you might have and how much time you'd like to spend with them during your life. Also think about how they will have to roll you around after your stroke or the leg you'll lose after the diabetes gets going good. Not to sound dramatic because I don't know your current fitness level but I think fitness is a very worthwhile goal. I see older people all the time who fall and break things when I completely believe that training can improve your balance as well as your bone density. I see older people who have become frail and can't really LIVE anymore, they only exist. I read/hear about people younger than me dying from things that could be prevented with a little effort. That's not for me!

So here is my question. It is something that has bothered me all of my life.

If I had a nickel for every instance I've heard this, I would probably be diving full time with spanking new gear every 3 months. You are not alone there. :wink:

How do you face an exercise program? I hear about people who talk about a “great workout”….HUH?
Those are two different things. An exercise program is a structured set of guidelines designed with your specific, realistic goals as the end result. An exercise program is something individualized and takes into account variability and micro-progression. A program involves "Training". A workout by itself with no short or long term goals is simply a workout, and does not make a program.

I would rather go to the dentist, paint my house & garden in the snow than workout. When I am done with a workout I would like to slap a puppy & spit on someone’s shoes. What on this green earth gives you a mindset to tolerate these feelings along with the discomfort, and mind-numbing boredom?
You mentioned the mindset aspect and that is very important. A productive program will challenge your body through specific activities, which are implemented into your workouts. These activities force change and adaptation that are specific to your goals. The trick here is how much to challenge the body. Both your body AND mind have to be trained to progress together.

Again, to produce change, you have to challenge your body, and challenging your body is not something people would define as pleasurable. I can assure you that nobody here derives any pleasure from the very act of exercising (well, there may be a few twisted exceptions :wink:), HOWEVER, I can also assure you that those individuals that tolerate it have learned to focus their minds past those aspects and direct their attention to what they want to accomplish.

What is it that you find uncomfortable? Is it the training itself or the aftermath? If it is the discomfort during your training that you find unbearable, then you have exceeded your mental capacity, and you will only see completing an exercise as a chore rather than as the means to a greater goal.

If it's excessive soreness that you experience, then you are exceeding your physical capacity. Some soreness is normal, but chronic soreness is a sign that you are exceeding your ability to recover and it's time to back up a little.

If it's boredom, well, that simply means you are going through the motions. This usually happens when you do the same thing over and over, or walk around randomly hitting different stations and hoping for the best. A little structure always helps.

I have lasted as long as a year doing workouts a few times a week, simply with the goal of being capable of hauling dive gear across the beach easier...
Were you following a structured program? Were your goals realistic? How did you measure progress? Again, a little structure in your program will be a lot more productive rather than going without a plan. Some good fitness enthusiasts rely on their experience to dictate how they will conduct their sessions, but the most successful and outstanding fitness enthusiasts I've ever met were those who had a specific plan.

but this has become an impossible sell to myself. Is there an obvious trick I am missing? Not so obvious of trick? How do you do it, week in and week out?
Have you considered the assistance of your local fitness professional perhaps? They can give you guidance and help you find something that is suitable for you. If that is not an option you would contemplate, then consider ways in which you can make yourself accountable for your results. Have ways to asses yourself every so often and have objective markers to measure your progress.

Also, enlisting a friend or a loved one, or anyone who shares the same goals as you makes the process a lot more enjoyable and motivating. I'm sure your facility has quite a few people who would love a training buddy. In addition, if you have a solid strength foundation and no significant structural or orthopedic issues, you could start enlisting in activities that require the development of certain motor skills. That will give your training a new light and make physical training a lot more interesting.

I will conclude by saying that anyone in good health has the potential to be fit. However, getting there is a journey that requires the involvement of both body and mind. You cannot accelerate this process nor should you attempt to do so. HOWEVER, you can procure an environment that ensures you get there.

Best of luck! I hope you do get the chance to discover and enjoy that elating feeling of accomplishment you get from a good training program (notice I said "program" not "workout") and achieving your goals. Good Health and Happy Diving

To further what Coach Izzy mentioned, about micro-progressions, boredom, challenges, and pushing one self. Although it takes a little more planning, both long term and for the next workout, make each workout a different challenge for yourself. Mentally it should be a challenge to push through the workout, physically you should be just outside your comfort zone and when you are done you have not 'done another workout', instead you feel like you accomplished something.

This can be done with whatever physical activity you enjoy doing, just make sure you play safe and have a good hold on the basic technique before you make your workouts a challenge. A good fitness professional should be able to help you with both the technique and planning for both your goals and your workouts/challenges.

Getting started in an exercise program is probably the hardest because most people want instant results or gratification. After a week in the gym they look in the mirror and see the same roll of fat on their waste and it's like, "this aint' working". But it takes time and patience.
An exercise period on any day is like taking a long boat ride out to the reef, or a long drive in the car. The first 10 minutes or even 30 is kind of a drag....but then I get off into a zone and time just flies by. Same when exercising.

Primarily, I know that exercising is the price I must pay to continue to feel energetic, be fit, and be able to eat much of what I like without becoming overweight.

Therefore, I just make it an unquestionable obligation that I must exercise nearly every day and then only leave myself the choice of which exercise to do rather than "if" I will exercise.

The obvious benefit is that I find myself with more energy and needing less sleep, so that I more than make up the 30-60 minutes I invest in my daily exercise. It is important to remind yourself of this, as well as that you are making yourself a healthier and more pleasant you for yourself and your family.

I help alleviate the boredom by alternating exercise options--this also gives me viable options no matter what the season or whether I am in hotels. My personal choices include Yoga, weight lifting, cycling, power walks, elipical trainers, swimming laps, and roller blading. And although I don't count it as exercise, I always choose stairs over elevators and often park far from my destination for extra walking distance . . . it just doesn't make sense to me to ride the elevators all day long and then go home and get on a stairmaster to stay in shape!

I also get some satisfaction from writing in my day planner or diary which exercise I did each day as a record of my satisfaction of my obligation to myself.

theskull

Wow! What great responses and motivation for Tom. I'm motivated as well. Tom, I would like to know what you do for exercise - if you're willing to share. Also, how often do you beach dive? Do you boat dive as well? What is your profession or work schedule? If I am asking to much - just don't answer. But, maybe you are burnt out from some other aspect of your life. Do you eat well? Do you like the gym - or do you train somewhere else? You see where I'm going with this. . .

Back
Top Bottom