How do you feel about Chinese made gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think both good and bad products can be made in any country, but when I have the choice I tend to pick US or EU made. I'm willing to pay more for that.

To me it's a matter of keeping the business more local, generally better odds of environmental / social / wage issues and maybe better odds of quality sourcing of materials. (though I acknowledge all those things can be done anywhere)

I decided to pay a premium for Apeks for example, despite them being exactly (or worse) than Hog / D6 or any other number of others for those reasons.

One of the best dive lights I have owned is from China - $25. Hands down the brightest and based on the price I bought 6 of them... lol.
To me dive light fit under the gear generality... I buy American when I can - but I have no issues buying from other countries or regions.
:)

It’s a complicated subject.
I was a dealer for an American gear company. They had a whole shipment of lights come in that they spec’d from China and every single one of them either crapped out before hitting the water or if it did make it to the water it flooded.
I had a Hog reg set for a while just to see what all the hype was about. I got some corrosion on the stainless parts and the end cap button for the tuner knob on the second stage was held on only with two sided tape. The area behind it including the screw got all gunked up with salt water. No way to know until a tear down.
I ended up selling it and went back to my old stuff.
There is no comparison between old American made neoprene and Chinese stuff. The Chinese never really got a handle on producing anything of quality out of rubber, not their thing. The South Koreans on the other hand make some pretty decent neoprene.
Call me whatever you want but I just don’t fully trust Chinese made gear, I don’t care who sourced it.
I’ve had problems with the quality of their stainless in the past. I source USA only stainless now for my stuff.
I don’t care for their political structure and some of the civil rights abuses we hear about.
I think as a country we looked to much for getting stuff cheap and not hard enough about the consequences. Americans are easily sold out.
I know it’s a permanent thing, all this globalization and I understand the political intentions behind globalization. I just don’t like the feeling of being held hostage by a country that doesn’t necessarily have our best interests in mind, and one with such an infamous reputation. It’s starting to bug me, does anybody else feel that way or are you too worried about being called out on it?
At one time the US was the world leader in quality industrial manufacturing. Now so much of that is gone, it’s depressing.

Don’t even get me started on Chinese steel, the crap is almost un-weldable. This is what our bridges and other infrastructure are being made out of now BTW.
Just sayin.

There’s a reason why a lot of things are made elsewhere under conditions that we would not accept here. It’s because we are happy to transfer external costs to someplace or sometime we have no personal connection to.

Yes yes yes. Can't agree more on all of that. That the US has lost so much manufacturing capability and that we don't view that as a threat to our sovereignty is nuts. It would be mighty hard if not impossible to wean ourselves off that teat at this point.

There’s a reason why a lot of things are made elsewhere under conditions that we would not accept here. It’s because we are happy to transfer external costs to someplace or sometime we have no personal connection to.
This isn’t pointed at you personally,
but what about air pollution, child labor exploitation, indentured slavery, enviro-chemical pollution. Just because it’s not happening here does that mean it’s not happening anywhere else, and further does it mean that it doesn’t affect us in any way when we bring that stuff back in?
Out of sight out of mind? Just give us our cheap goods?

I’m not agreeing with it, but at the same time I don’t see a lot of people wanting to pay $30 for a generic t shirt if made in this country to expected working and environmental standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom