How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't have a redundant air source, you should not be solo diving. Period.

Dive sites need to be evaluated as to the level of risks they pose for solo diving as safe solo diving involves both an accurate assessment of your abilities and the demands of the site coupled with the maturity and self control to recognize when the conditions preclude a solo dive. Diving on an unknown site with potential hazards deprives you of the ability to make an accurate assessment of whether the dive can be conducted safely and within your comfort zone. Solo diving isn't about pushing limits.

I will on occassion explore new sites solo, but I will do it in a progressive manner over several dives within tight parameters of saftey with a clear retreat to a familiar area available.

zeN|| once bubbled...
When I see so many in the dive community eviscerate solo-divers on one hand and lay out the red carpet for tek divers on the other, SNIP...
Agreed, but it isn't necessarily all tek divers... just the one's with egos wrapped too tight. Fortunately, most are good folks.

Why not dive solo? Many people fly a single engine plane solo, sky Dive solo, drive from LA to Las Vagas cross desert solo.....

DM set training line and Buoy... solo dive.
Instructor dive with 4 OW students.... solo bive
dive guide lead a group of divers/tourists/strangers on a dive... dive solo.
Single diver paired up with stranger on a dive boat...... solo dive

Any instructor who claimed he never dive solo, has never teached.

Let's face it, Does anybody here would really want to do a fun recreation dive with a diver who does not have the competency to dive alone? Unless I am helping a FRIEND to gain more experience or introduce him to diving, I would never do it. A diver who is not self reliance is putting his safety and his life in your hand when you go diving with him. How could I enjoy my dive while babysitting him?

An instructor here claimed the best redundent air supply is a dive buddy, and he teach that to his students. I pray for his students safety.

Solo diver should always have a totally independent redundent air source. Dive within your range where you can comfortably do a CESA, and this range differ from one person to another.

If a diver does not have the common sense to do a safe solo dive, and has to take a solo dive certification class to learn how to do it, then he should never ever do a solo dive!

Although I enjoy solo dive and a strong supporter of solo diving, I strongly suggest to those divers who read this tread and consider solo diving that solo diving is not for everybody. Please reconsider your skills, your logistic thinking and reaction under severe emergency stress, and your discipline to dive within your safety range? If you have doubt to any of these questions, please don't solo dive. :doctor:

Beach Bum k10 once bubbled...

If a diver does not have the common sense to do a safe solo dive, and has to take a solo dive certification class to learn how to do it, then he should never ever do a solo dive!

Saying solo diving is common sense is like saying cavern diving is common sense. Both involve special equipment configurations, skill sets, and specialized diving awareness.

The only way to learn a skill is through self experience (high failure) or taught experience(low failure). Wouldn't a certification that teaches about H valves, pony bottles, lift bags, dive site awareness, SAC rate, gas management, etc, be useful for someone that does or may solo dive?

I'll have to take issue that you have to have a redundant air system to dive solo, period. It's certainly a good idea, and I use a pony on some dives and def at depth. I was a freediver before scuba and regularly dove/spearfished to 40 feet+, as a scuba diver at 20-25 feet I am confidant (have done it) if I have an event I can make a safe ascent in shallow water. There are no hard and fast rules, but rather guidlines and personal choices, and levels of risk one is willing to take zeN||

I'll second that Zen. Your last sentence is on the money. I don't use a pony bottle when I solo dive.

mgri once bubbled...

Saying solo diving is common sense is like saying cavern diving is common sense. Both involve special equipment configurations, skill sets, and specialized diving awareness.

The only way to learn a skill is through self experience (high failure) or taught experience(low failure). Wouldn't a certification that teaches about H valves, pony bottles, lift bags, dive site awareness, SAC rate, gas management, etc, be useful for someone that does or may solo dive?

I use the phrase "common sense" loosely. Thanks for pointing that out.

I should say, a certification for solo dive does not mean the diver has the skills to solo dive SAFELY. Some people can react calmly under extreme emergency stress and save themselves from danger. The certification will give these divers invaluable knowledge for safe solo dive.

Some others panic when facing a little challenge, and put themselves in unnecessary dangerous situation. Certified or not, these group of divers should not solo dive.

A good day to live is a good day to dive. Safe diving, mgri. :)

zeN|| once bubbled...
I'll have to take issue that you have to have a redundant air system to dive solo, period. It's certainly a good idea, and I use a pony on some dives and def at depth. I was a freediver before scuba and regularly dove/spearfished to 40 feet+, as a scuba diver at 20-25 feet I am confidant (have done it) if I have an event I can make a safe ascent in shallow water. There are no hard and fast rules, but rather guidlines and personal choices, and levels of risk one is willing to take zeN||

Good points ZeNll, good points. Dive within your range and have a redundant air system. I agree to these suggestions.

Safe Diving. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom