How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to dive solo in many situations. Task loading is reduced as you do not have to work to maintain buddy contact which can be difficult in limited viz and can complicate navigation. You also do not have to worry about taking care of a less experienced buddy or one that is just plain stupid.

The most enjoyable dive I had this weekend was a solo dive to 130 ft. It was very relaxing as I was able to conduct the entire dive within my comfort zone and modify the plan as required as the dive progressed without having to communicate the change to a buddy.

The remaining dives this weekend were with 2-5 more divers and involved a much higher workload as, with some divers, leading a dive is much like herding cats.

I enjoy diving with a buddy, but it really has to be a buddy who is skilled, compatible and largely self reliant. I have had way too many buddies with a small problem who come to me to solve it for them and/or grab on to me with a death grip that does not cease until we surface - a saftey issue as it can potentially inhibit your ability to make a normal ascent. I have also encountered problems with buddies who rely on you as a crutch to extend their diving into situations (deep, low viz, deco etc) that is really beyond their training and ability.

Buddy diving is not a solution for poor diving skills and in some respects it contributes to accidents as it leads to a false sense of security and at times can get two divers in trouble instead of just one if the assisting buddy lacks the rescue skills required for the situation.

Safe solo diving requires a thorough and honest self evaluation of your skills and equipment as well as an accurate assessment of the diving site and conditions.

I am not as restrictive on depth limits with solo diving as many of the people who have posted here as I am properly equipped for deeper solo dives and started free diving long before I started scuba diving. As a general rule, you should not solo dive deeper than twice the depth you can free dive. (This means that for many of the current crop of divers with relatively poor water skills and no free dive experience, a realisitic solo depth would be about 20'.)

I do hold a hard line on diving solo in other situations and will abort a dive if I encounter something unexpected or if the dive begins to deviate from my comfort zone at all. I will also usually not even consider a solo dive on an unfamiliar site.

Solo diving can and should be very relaxing, if it isn't you probably should not be doing it.

The fact that there are case examples of being sued for failing the "buddy obligation" makes a strong argument for solo diving certification. lets face it, people will continue to solo dive so why not have a certification for it.

On that note has anyone taken the SDI solo course?

As far as solo diving goes its not a wise choice for the lions share of people involved in diving. I think that it takes a LOT of dives with all the typical stresses and strains to make a certified diver actually proficient at the art of diving. Its not magic nor is it something that one will learn by attending 10 hours of classroom activities. To be at ease in the ocean is an act of time, I saaay this because it took me a long time to be at ease there. As far as solo diving I have done many solo dives. Daytime and after dark. If you do any hunting it needs to be sort of solo if you are to be very sucessful. I have done an amount of free diving and thats for sure a solo thing. And to answer others questions a number of divers sucom to physical problems that a team of divers couldnt have had any effect on. Do a lot of dives, then do some more before considering your skills to at a par with the ocean. One other thing when I have been solo, I dont enter a kelp forest, I know my comfort ESA depth, thats the BOTTOM of my ocean that day. And maybe it will get me someday, I guess thats my choice to make.
Bill
PS, forgive my miserable spelling

Since I bought my camera........

Most of my dives have been solo.

To begin with this was not by choice , it was just that my regular buddy also had a camera and when you appreciate that you you can often take minutes on each subject you will more often than not become seperated (in viz of 5-10m).

I then decided that if I was going to be in this situation I aught to take steps to reduce the added risks.

I bought a 20cft Pony with seperate 1st + 2nd stages. Started to carry redundant SMB , computer and mask.

I also went to do the SDI solo course. Which depending on the instructor can be very beneficial. During the course we refreshed knowledge in many areas. One of the interesting things we went over was RMV's and tank sizes/capacities. It turned out taht with my RMV in a very stressed situation I would be able to safely return from 40m including safety stop with bags to spare.

I find that diving solo is very relaxing but still gain great enjoyment in finding some unusual critter and then retrieving my "buddy" to show them.

I have no problem with diving with buddies I have known only a short while and have no problem with diving with buddies who have less experience / underwater skills than I have , Its nice to help others even when you realize you are putting yourself at greater risk.

All of the above puts me at odds with almost all of the arguments that have gone before.

I have 250+ dives and feel very comfortable underwater.(all real dives , I don't teach:wink: )

Am I doing wrong?

PS

I find nothing more annoying than someone leaving there buddy to swim 40-50m to me to tell me to "buddy up" (the irony) . I have learnt some colourful signals.

When I see so many in the dive community eviscerate solo-divers on one hand and lay out the red carpet for tek divers on the other, I have to chuckle (burping might be more appropriate). What a laugh! My solo diving in the lake at 20 ft and an occaisional dive at the breaKwater is significantly safer than many of the tek dives performed by divers, despite your safety precations. It should be in class by itself. A good solo diver knows he is restricted to fewer dive sites and conditions, shallower depths, has to rely solely on himself, and often dives with other accessories (e.g. spare air); solo divers become better divers in many respects, and from the poll (if it is to be believed) most people already solo dive cheers:) zeN||

Not having a go at any body.

When solo diving why should you "stay shallow" surely your depth should be limited by the capacity of your alternate air source. I personally don't go deeper than 40m and my pony will do just fine from there.

Why should you only dive sites that you "know" really well?

Zen completely agree with being independent (should be the first thing taught to OW divers , just before the buddy diving principle.) and diving solo does make you a better diver.

Cheers

Well it's obvious of course, it's much safer to dive to 25 feet than 100 feet, and emergencies are compounded with depth; I wouldn't have much problem making an emergency ooa ascent at 40 ft. but from 100 feet I think the risk grows exponentially. I solo-dive the Breakwaters in Monterey on a calm day, but I wouldn't think of attempting Mortuary Beach solo at any time. It's basic to solo-diving that some adv dive sites are going to be too much risk zeN||

'There are bold solo-divers
and there are old solo-divers
but there are no bold and old solo-divers' :mean:

groups of varying skill levels...in some rare cases, I've had 8 divers, NONE of whom has 10 dives to their credit....I find it such a relief & relaxing experience to dive alone. Only one SPG to pay attention to instead of 9, one diver with ~4400 dives instead of an entire group totalling what I might dive in a month, and no trying to figure out what I can do safely for the very poor divers & yet keep the better ones happy & interested.
I enjoy the almost complete freedom to dive a profile JUST for me....I might just "hover" for 15 minutes or more & see where the current will take me, or see what big fish might show up when there isn't a swarm of divers bouncing into each other, me & the coral, etc. I don't have to worry about boring my customers to take the time to sit (speaking figuratively!) still and watch something for a while.
I understand & accept that there ARE some potential risks in not having a buddy...but I've never felt in any danger in any of my dives....riding a mtn. bike back & forth to work here on Guam is another story, however! When a big Napoleon Wrasse crashes into me at 25mph and send me flying OVER it, then I might rethink my position on diving alone. (And I agree it's not for everyone.)

Zen,

I suppose it goes back to the question of wether you need an alternate air source to dive solo. If you don't use one stick to a level where you can safely ascent with a CESA , if you do, dive to the limit you can safely return with your AAS.

As to location , for me if its too dangerous to dive solo , then its too dangerous to dive with a buddy.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom