How do you feel about solo diving?

How do you feel about solo diving?

• Never done it, never want to.

Votes: 57 19.1%
  • Haven't done it, but thought about it.

Votes: 81 27.2%
  • I've done it, but prolly never again.

Votes: 25 8.4%
  • I do it all the time!

Votes: 135 45.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara wrote...
IMO, choosing a buddy for the dive comes before getting on the boat. I try not to leave major parts of my dive plan to the luck of the draw.
Good idea, if you have that option. Not all do.

MikeFerrara wrote...
IMO, a boat full of divers who are not good enough to dive with is an accident waiting to happen and I don't want to be on the boat. I certainly will not pay to be there.
Sadly, that disqualifies every liveaboard I've ever heard of. I'm not saying they're full of unsafe divers, but often the unsafe ones are the only ones in the pool of available potential buddies. The others are already in tight buddy pairs, photographers, and/or spearfishermen, none of whom welcome pairing up with a stranger.

MikeFerrara wrote...
I simply cannot enjoy a dive with a bunch of potential accidents around me.
So says many a solo diver. :D

Well, I'm lucky because for the kind of diving I like to do we generally do just that. When we get on a boat it is usually full of our people.

There is alot of talk on this board about how the agencies need to raise standards. Is it the agencies who need to raise standards or the divers? How about the dive operations? Complaining about a system that you heartily support and reward seems silly.

Divers are diving beyond their training and experience every day on every site in all the popular destinations. Kind of makes a liar out of me when I tell students the need to develop skills before doing these dives. I won't give money to the operations that perpetuate the situation. I won't let them buddy me with a diver I don't want to dive with and I won't change the way I dive just for the privilage of visiting their tourist site.

We have taught people that diving is fast, cheap, easy and safe. Then when all the divers on the boat are poor ones we tell them that the buddy system is dangerous and they should take the SDI solo course and go it alone.

Pick your teammates, dives and boats. With all our talk of dive planning how do we justify just jumping on a boat without a plan. Team planning comes before planning dive profile. This is not dive planning by any stretch of the imagination. This is just following the crowd and doing things because.

I think some prior planning can solve all these problems. If you want to dive alone, do it. However, don't dive alone and say or think it's because the situation forced you to. IMO, diving is one of those things where you would be wise to take some control of and responsibility for the situation.

IMO, what is being done on many of these boats is not diving it is underwater site seeing. It doesn't follow the same rules as diving and should not be used to justify solo diving.

metridium,
If you choose to be there, the situation must meet your approval. If my kids get in trouble doing something they were taught not to, they would be wise to have better answers than you do.

But you seem to be getting my point that the industry is largly a bunch of schlocks. but...the second part of my point is that you shouln't be a schlock because you are with schlocks.

MikeFerrara wrote...
metridium,
If you choose to be there, the situation must meet your approval.
That assumes you knew of the situation beforehand, Mike.

Let's say your buddy backed out at the very last second, after you've flown cross-country and boarded the boat. What are you going to do?

- Hop off the boat, kiss your charter fare goodbye, and pay through the nose to change your airline tickets home?

- Stay onboard but not dive?

- Stay onboard and team up with someone you consider dangerous?

- Stay onboard and dive solo with redundant gear on those sites you feel comfortable with?

MikeFerrara wrote...
If my kids get in trouble doing something they were taught not to, they would be wise to have better answers than you do.
Don't assume those are my answers...

MikeFerrara wrote...
But you seem to be getting my point that the industry is largly a bunch of schlocks. but...the second part of my point is that you shouln't be a schlock because you are with schlocks.
Rule #1?

I recently dove my first solo dive under very good conditions and an easy dive profile compared to most of my dives.

Would I do it again?

Yes, though rarely and not my preference.

Was this "easy" dive ( shallow, good water conditions, a leisurely dive in terms of challenge, etc. ) safer solo than with a good buddy?

No - an incapacitating situation can develop where assistance can only be provided by someone else, no matter how optimum water conditions may be, how shallow, or what equipment redundancy we use. Use your imagination.

Was this solo dive safer solo than with an "unknown buddy"?

Possibly - some of the shortcomings, or buddy deficiencies have already been pointed out. Not to mention that a wreckless diver is not only a danger to himself but may very well endanger us as well. Use your imagination.

Should the above answer be used as a reason to go solo?

No - see prior question and answer. But it should be used as a reason to become self reliant. When we "buddy up" we have not only taken on the responsibility of caring for ourselves - but for someone else, too. If we can't even take care of ourselves, how are we going to take care of someone else.

This answer should also be used as a reason to ask questions of a new buddy, continuing dialog with an old buddy, and volunteering information about our diving ability and plans to our buddies.

It should also be used as a reason to critique our buddy with constructive criticism, whether we know him or not. I know, some poeple just don't take this kindly, but if enough buddies point things out maybe peer pressure will do some good. When a buddy does something totally stupid, he is going to hear about it from me after the dive. I will point out the problem, the solution and an explanation, or parts of one before the sensitive to criticism buddy butts in. I consider this part of my duty as a buddy. I did what I could to help my buddy and hopefully he will constructively muse over it when out of the limelight. By the same token this should also make us more amenable to constructive criticism.

Solo diving?

Its a risk/reward equation.

The risk, in my opinion, can be quite low under the "right" circumstances. The odds of an unexpected incapacitating injury (where assistance is necessary) is quite small overall. Though keep in mind - it only takes one to end it all, no second guessing, no second chance.

The odds of risk start increasing considerably with an increasingly challenging diving profile or conditions. Depth, overhead environment, weather, etc.

Buddy diving?

Its a risk/reward equation.

An untested buddy remains an unknown quantity, as to degree and quality of assistance that can be expected. This is something that can be improved by training and practice, starting with ourselves.

Walter,

Maybe I did not explain this very well.

The students I certify are more than capable of handling an emergency situation. I can honestly say that all of them would be able to handle such a situation properly. I will not certify them unless they prove to me that they are capable divers in every aspect. Everything must be at 100% or they arn't getting certified by me. While they may be very competent when doing drills, they don't have the experience aquired by dealing with such problems in the past. They arn't mentally prepared for it. Yes, they may be of aid in an emergency but they will certainly not be as effective as my buddy who has the same training I do and has been diving for years.

When I say "Comfortable diving with", I mean a person that I feel could handle the absolute worst case scenario properly. Whatever situation would arise, I feel confident they could handle it...someone I have no doubts about whatsoever. An OW student will not demonstrate these qualities regardless of how intensive the training is. They are just starting out, they have no experience.

I'm not giving reasons to solo dive. Actually, I'm against it. It's obviously safer to dive with a good buddy...this of coarse goes back to the "what if there arn't any good buddies around" argument. The only people who should even consider solo diving are those who have perfected their skills, assume all risk, and are highly experienced.

Wouldn't it be great if...All the lone divers on a boat possesed at least sufficient skill to buddy with another loan diver on the boat. I agree that if one chooses a trip like this they can end up in this spot. The dive/no dive decision is an important one and I certainly can't make it for anyone but me. I just don't think that in most cases solo diving represents a solution. Once your buddy backs out and you find that there is no suitable candidate available, will going solo make it better or worse? The money is gone and the question is do we take additional risk to get something for the money?

Making the wrong go/nogo choice because of money or time invested has gotten more than one person hurt.

Just as a side note, I have noticed that some who claim they can't find a suitable buddy may be in that spot because they are an unsuitable buddy. I am not saying this is you. I am saying that if a diver wishes to team up a little coaching and planning MAY help transform them into a fine buddy. I am also saying that I believe the only valid reason to solo dive is because you want to solo dive. Sometimes when our plans don't pan out it is best to not dive. The decision to dive or not should not be based on the cost of the trip.

I feel strongly that it makes more sense to teach and even force bad buddies to be good buddies than it does to teach those without a buddy to be a solo diver.

hey Mike,
Do you do checkout dives in Quarries?

Good afternoon,
Interesting perspectives here on solo diving. I did three solo dives this past Sunday. I have found that many people in my area that call themselves divers are not as obsessive as I am about it. They would rather talk and brag to non-divers about their experiences (6 months ago) than actually work on some drills and hone their overall skills. Had plans with two different buddies and circumstances developed that prevented them from going with me. As one that doesn't let many things stand in my way, I called the owner of the place I was going to dive at and this person knew me as well as my diving experience. We had an agreement which I honored so as not to abuse this persons generosity. I even took it a step further by staying away from most other divers and students so as not to let the students know that this is something that can be done if you use your head and modify your normal activity. I didn't want to give anyone any ideas...

I don't begrudge those for having other interests(?) its just that the only downside to diving is the buddy system. Don't get me wrong, I understand completely the logic of having a "buddy",it is just that I don't like it when plans are made to go diving and then have to change because of a spouse coming up with additional things that need to be done around the house,etc.

Did I have as much 'fun" as I do with a buddy? hmmm, maybe not. did I get to refine my basic skills? You bet! With the three dives at such a shallow depth, it allowed me to spend a lot of time under water thus spending the entire day working on basics and various drills. I did stay shallow,going no deeper than 30' in the event of something happening. Would this repetition of basics and various drills made for a fun dive for a buddy? Maybe for some and for others they would have viewed it as boring activities.

My opinion, and only mine, is that I will do it again. When I dive solo I set a limit on the depth as well as the number of activities I do, with the focus on basic drills and emergency procedures but the "sacrifice" is worth it to me. Would I let my wife and kids solo dive? Absolutely Not!!! Does this make me a hypocrite? Depends on your perspective I suppose...

From a local friendly obsessive-compulsive diver...

Best Regards
Don Costanza

P.S. I used the term obsessive-compulsive diliberately several times since my wife is constantly telling me that I am about various activities and now I have a complex.... Clinically,maybe she's right about this diving stuff but I prefer the desciption of intensly passionate about it!

I think that to dive solo really boils down to a person risk management decision. I solo dive alot, when I am collecting for my aquarium, Photos, or would just rather be underwater than watching the tube. I typically do it in shallow water andgood conditions, lower risks. However sometimes doing DM on a boat you're the last guy out, and if my wife uses up her air I'll watch her acsend and drift for 10-15 min longer.

I accept that it is riskier, but then again so is deep deco dives in cold water even with a buddy. And I don't have a problem with that either.

The sport is never going to be completely safe. Think of it this way, do you bring a rescue trained passenger with you every time you get onto the expressway? Because statistically you have a much higher probability of needing them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom